Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can pop ups "invade"??

Can pop ups "invade"??

Old Dec 17th 2004, 1:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can pop ups "invade"??

Something VERY strange just happened.

I had Ex pats opened along with about 4 other sites. I was reading something on my yahoo account and the computer startes to make noises, a bit like when someone comes on messenger, so i looked along my open windows (down at the bottom) and the window for ex pats had gone to be replaced by one for "Xpats christmas food and drink orders" A totally different site, all singing all dancing :scared: (the musac was very irritating too )

Whats happening
Old Dec 17th 2004, 1:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can pop ups "invade"??

Originally Posted by hevs

I had Ex pats opened along with about 4 other sites. I was reading something on my yahoo account and the computer startes to make noises, a bit like when someone comes on messenger, so i looked along my open windows (down at the bottom) and the window for ex pats had gone to be replaced by one for "Xpats christmas food and drink orders" A totally different site, all singing all dancing (the musac was very irritating too )

Whats happening
:scared: That Nasty has come back to haunt you!!! :scared:
Old Dec 17th 2004, 1:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I had Ex pats opened along with about 4 other sites. I was reading something on my yahoo account and the computer startes to make noises, a bit like when someone comes on messenger, so i looked along my open windows (down at the bottom) and the window for ex pats had gone to be replaced by one for "Xpats christmas food and drink orders" A totally different site, all singing all dancing :scared: (the musac was very irritating too )

Whats happening

Scary!! Perhaps you clicked on one of the links and it just took a while to load up or something..... bleedin' pop-ups!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 1:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose so, but would this have "taken" my B E P window
Old Dec 17th 2004, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

I suggest you may have a problem with spyware

you want Ad-aware to remove it. It's free and updates regularly.

Anti virus don't stop spyware

You wouldn't happen to have "gator" installed? it's "legit" spyware.

Hope you can get rid of the buggers. They are so annoying

GCS15
Old Dec 17th 2004, 4:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want pop-ups or spyware?

Use Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org
Old Dec 17th 2004, 4:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've been running Adaware for over a year - not a single nasty pop-up.......
Old Dec 17th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats happening
If you use Google search engine (I do all the time) you can download the google tool bar for free and there is a "box" you can click on that stop pop ups. I never have them now. Ian 12
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Whats happening
It could be a nasty, in which case try Ad-Aware or Spy Sweeper
The other alternative (which bugs the life out of me) is a cordless mouse with a mind of it's own - do you have a cordless mouse? Mine seems to click on stuff I didn't want it to all the time. They get interfered with () by mobiles, cordless phones and all sorts of other wireless / radio kit.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:36 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are it is a delayed JavaScript pop up window - 'programmers' who do this sort of crud - get right on my .... !!!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wmoore
It could be a nasty, in which case try Ad-Aware or Spy Sweeper
The other alternative (which bugs the life out of me) is a cordless mouse with a mind of it's own - do you have a cordless mouse? Mine seems to click on stuff I didn't want it to all the time. They get interfered with () by mobiles, cordless phones and all sorts of other wireless / radio kit.
Second only to laptop touchpads that are over-sensitive
Old Dec 17th 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats happening

Firefox rocks, I've been using for almost 5 months now and not one popup at all.

I use Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster (Javacool). I've not had any spyware items for months now.

Internet Explorer is like a magent for spyware.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 2:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asfry
Firefox rocks
I'm trying it out but not entirely convinced yet. Sometimes it seems much slower than IE to render a page and of course there are plenty of sites that don't work (yes, yes I know that's the developer's fault for not following W3C). It's not bad. I do like the tabbed browsing and a couple of other minor features but i'm not quite sold.