Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can my wife work?

Can my wife work?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Question Can my wife work?

We are thinking of relocating of Australia and likely to go down the route of relocting with my employer. Question is will my wife be able to work? She has not worked for six year after taking a break to have children and this would be her opportunity to return. She is an accountant by experience but has no formal qualification (trained as a chartered accountant but never passed the final exams).

Any advice much appreciated
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my wife work?

Hi Martin,

I am guessing but assume you would be applying for an employer sponsored 457 temporary visa ?

That is what I am on and it is only me that is restricted to staying with the
sponsoring employer doing the specific job stated in the visa application.

My wife has no restrictions at all so can work anywhere doing anything.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinH
We are thinking of relocating of Australia and likely to go down the route of relocting with my employer. Question is will my wife be able to work? She has not worked for six year after taking a break to have children and this would be her opportunity to return. She is an accountant by experience but has no formal qualification (trained as a chartered accountant but never passed the final exams).

Any advice much appreciated
Think I'd better check with her first she might not want same answer as you!! lol

....seriously not sure what the answer to that would be but only that we intend going with skilled ind visa which I believe allows hubby to work too, its my skills we are using to get there, hopefully someone will answer you properly soon.

Chris
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Martin,

I am guessing but assume you would be applying for an employer sponsored 457 temporary visa ?

That is what I am on and it is only me that is restricted to staying with the
sponsoring employer doing the specific job stated in the visa application.

My wife has no restrictions at all so can work anywhere doing anything.
Spouses of 457 visa holders can work, but usually employers won't hire for long term or career orientated jobs if the person doesn't have PR. Therefore the better jobs tend not to be accessible.

With a PR visa - no problems at all. Get clarity on what visa your employer is planning to sponsor for, and if they are only willing to sponsor for a temporary visa you need to do some serious thinking and talking. Read the thread at the top of the forum about the restrictions on the 457 visa.

Jeremy