Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I use my Switch/Maestro card in Oz?

Can I use my Switch/Maestro card in Oz?

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can I use my Switch/Maestro card in Oz?

Title says it all really! Just wondering if I can use my Switch/Maestro card from the UK over here in Oz? And if so, what option do I pick when it comes to Eftpos? Would it be a credit card? Oh, and online, what option would I pick (on Oz sites it, obviously, doesn't show switch as an option LOL)

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use my Switch/Maestro card in Oz?

Originally Posted by TillyG
Title says it all really! Just wondering if I can use my Switch/Maestro card from the UK over here in Oz? And if so, what option do I pick when it comes to Eftpos? Would it be a credit card? Oh, and online, what option would I pick (on Oz sites it, obviously, doesn't show switch as an option LOL)

Thanks!
No
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Thanks!
No
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:04 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
The only way you could use a UK debit card in Oz is if it was a Visa Debit card - sorry!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Ah well, I thought as much. Guess I'll take it out of my purse now LOL

Thanks everyone
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:44 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tygwyn
The only way you could use a UK debit card in Oz is if it was a Visa Debit card - sorry!
I have still got my visa debit card from the UK and a bit of money in the bank over there. Are you saying that if I pay for something with it here that they will convert the amount and take it out of the UK bank account. I didn`t know that I could use it?

Thanks

Tracey x
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilton`s
I have still got my visa debit card from the UK and a bit of money in the bank over there. Are you saying that if I pay for something with it here that they will convert the amount and take it out of the UK bank account. I didn`t know that I could use it?

Thanks

Tracey x
Yep, should work fine
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:38 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Actually, I use my First Direct card here and it's a Maestro card with Cirrus on the back. It only works in places where there is a Commonwealth Bank EFTPOS machine. I use it to withdraw from the UK from my account there.
Mine is 'savings'.

The best thing to do is do what I did and say I wasn't sure if it would work but that I'd like to try it anyway. No skin off their nose if it doesn't work - you just use another card.
Never had a problem with it and it was great to use when we first got here until bank accounts were set up.

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn

No this isn't true. It depends on the bank and how their international links are set up. Cirrus and Maestro are both international cards.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iPom
No this isn't true. It depends on the bank and how their international links are set up. Cirrus and Maestro are both international cards.
So my HSBC Cirrus/Maestro (has Cirrus on the back) should work here then?

I would phone the call centre but they're driving me nuts. I had to explain to them what a CHAPS payment was yesterday
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:31 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you use it to withdraw money at an automatic teller machine at the bank? Or is that the Cirrus part of the card that is relevant there?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CPW
Can't you use it to withdraw money at an automatic teller machine at the bank? Or is that the Cirrus part of the card that is relevant there?
I've no idea LOL

DH has just reminded me, though, that there are 4 current or ex-HSBC employees in my immediate family (dad, 2 brothers, 1 SIL) so I think I might text them and see if they know anything - esp oldest brother as he is high up in international doobries
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:36 am
Account Closed

So my HSBC Cirrus/Maestro (has Cirrus on the back) should work here then?

I would phone the call centre but they're driving me nuts. I had to explain to them what a CHAPS payment was yesterday

Yes, it should work but you'll need to work out exactly where it will work. Mine won't work with Westpac machines, but fine on Commonwealth. I just asked in the shops... 'Can I try this card? I'm not sure if it will work here as it's a UK card but let's give it a go' and the shop assistant would try. I worked out by trial and error where it would work and where it wouldn't. Sometimes it was refused so I just paid with another card (VISA).

I get charged a small fee on my statement... usually around 70p or something for using it abroad per transaction.
I've never been told not to try or been refused the attempt.

I do know it doesn't work at Myer in Penrith though.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CPW
That's the Cirrus bit I believe.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We have always used our Switch cards in ATM's with no problems

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.