Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I use this baby car seat in NSW?

Can I use this baby car seat in NSW?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about
Default Can I use this baby car seat in NSW?

Hi All,

does anyone has any prior experience of using this baby seat?

this does not come with the hard plastic structure which will avoid consumption of space without damaging any upholstery.

This link here tells how the seats should be but doesnt give the specifications of the seat.

any way to confirm if this is allowed?

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use this baby car seat in NSW?

Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000
Hi All,

this does not come with the hard plastic structure which will avoid consumption of space without damaging any upholstery.

This link here tells how the seats should be but doesnt give the specifications of the seat.

Thanks
Dubious personally, but willing to stand corrected. I wonder if it even meets European standards. Being popular (according to a Chinese ebay seller) there doesn't make it legal
The question you need to ask is whether the seat is certified to Australian Safety Standards. If it hasn't been stamped as OK by those standards, its illegal here.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Its very simple

Does it have approved Australian Standard on it? Its not over for you to decipher its technical compliance.

Yes or No Answer
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000
Hi All,

Thanks
I can tell just from looking at the photos that it would no way meet standards in Australia, and therefore would be illegal. It also looks dangerous, particularly for a side on collision - and probably for a rear on collision too.

After quickly checking the NSW information on child restraints, their information also says that child seats bought overseas would not meet Australian standards (i.e. with the standards mark previously mentioned by others).

In my view it would be illegal and irresponsible to use that restraint - we are talking about the life of a child here! Forget the upholstery, is that really more important than the safety of your child?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I can tell just from looking at the photos that it would no way meet standards in Australia, and therefore would be illegal. It also looks dangerous, particularly for a side on collision - and probably for a rear on collision too.

After quickly checking the NSW information on child restraints, their information also says that child seats bought overseas would not meet Australian standards (i.e. with the standards mark previously mentioned by others).

In my view it would be illegal and irresponsible to use that restraint - we are talking about the life of a child here! Forget the upholstery, is that really more important than the safety of your child?
Agree. We bought a good quality car seat in Australia from a baby goods shop for $300 back in 2003 that came with a booster seat so could be used for a child up to the age of seven.

Never had any problems with it. Worth investing in a good quality seat that meets Australian standards for peace of mind. After my son outgrew the car seat I gave it to a friend for her daughter.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:43 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I was also going to say that it looks very flimsy and offers zero side impact protection.

If you're worried about your upholstory but some Safe N Sound Messsy Mats.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

As a parent, you want a seat that will keep your child safe. For that purpose, a seat certified in the UK, Canada or Australia is equally good. A cheapo Chinese seat is not. Nobody is going to check what kind of seat you use, it's up to you to do the right thing by your kid.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bra_boy
As a parent, you want a seat that will keep your child safe. For that purpose, a seat certified in the UK, Canada or Australia is equally good. A cheapo Chinese seat is not. Nobody is going to check what kind of seat you use, it's up to you to do the right thing by your kid.
Although if your in an accident and its found the car seat is not compiliant with Australian standards your insurance is void.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I am astonished that someone is happy to spend $1000s on a car (they are not cheap) but not willing to spend $100 on keeping their child safe.

Target and Big W often have sales with half price car seats. Buy the best you can afford and it will last for years.

Our birth-18kg seat lasted til our child was 3, then we gave it to a friend. We also bought a maxi rider (for second car) and our 6 year old is still using it, as she is under the weight and height limit.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all for reminding me to put the safety first than the upholstery. yes, I do have a baby seat was just checking if it is a good option and a legal one.

anyway, here is a blog that gives more insight on these seats.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

No way is that a baby safety seat. Its no more than a seat belt with a bit of padding. Are you seriously considering that kind of crap to keep your baby safe??
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Does Australia employ the isofix standard for installing/securing child seats in cars or are all seats simply secured with the adult seat belt?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Does Australia employ the isofix standard for installing/securing child seats in cars or are all seats simply secured with the adult seat belt?
I believe Isofix is being allowed from sometime this year - though individual seats will need to be approved to ANZ standards (so it doesn't mean that anyone can automatically use an Isofix restraint bought in the EU if it hasn't gone through Standards in Australia).
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:34 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Seats are not simply secured with a seatbelt. Car seats have an additional strap which is attached to the anchor points of the car. This has been in place for some time.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:01 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Seats are not simply secured with a seatbelt. Car seats have an additional strap which is attached to the anchor points of the car. This has been in place for some time.
So something like an Australian isofix-type standard?

Do all seats have this (I take it from your post that it is mandatory? )or is there a certain name for this anchor point attachment feature that I need to look for in the seat description?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.