Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I Take My Games Console To Oz?

Can I Take My Games Console To Oz?

Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:09 pm
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road
Default Can I Take My Games Console To Oz?

Can I take my Xbox to Ox?

I know it's PAL, but is there any way I can get it to work with an Oz tv? Or, if not, the games?

Thanks!

www.mtv120.com
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:50 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can I Take My Games Console To Oz?

Originally Posted by djdutts

I know it's PAL, but is there any way I can get it to work with an Oz tv? Or, if not, the games?

Thanks!

www.mtv120.com
Djdutts,

yes you can they are not banned in Oz

Do a quick search it has arizen before, I believe that they are fine in oz.

Bye
Mark
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:26 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Thanks!

www.mtv120.com
I've also been told that it is legal to have them (PS2's in particular) chipped, whereas over here it's supposed to be illegal. Something to do with Sony owning the rights to your PS2. Not fully sure about the exact details, I'm sure someone out there knows more about it though.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TheRossers
I've also been told that it is legal to have them (PS2's in particular) chipped, whereas over here it's supposed to be illegal. Something to do with Sony owning the rights to your PS2. Not fully sure about the exact details, I'm sure someone out there knows more about it though.
Oz playstation games work on uk ps2's, so I'd think xbox games are compatible too. They are both Pal, but have different region codes - these codes don't seem to make a difference on ps2 games.

I've heard you can buy a hard drive to fit into your (original style) ps2, then buy software which allows you to copy your games onto the hard drive. Therefore you can rent or borrow a game, save it to your hard drive, then give it back! It won't work for online play apparently. I'd assume it's illegal though!!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:12 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Briz-chick
Oz playstation games work on uk ps2's, so I'd think xbox games are compatible too. They are both Pal, but have different region codes - these codes don't seem to make a difference on ps2 games.

I've heard you can buy a hard drive to fit into your (original style) ps2, then buy software which allows you to copy your games onto the hard drive. Therefore you can rent or borrow a game, save it to your hard drive, then give it back! It won't work for online play apparently. I'd assume it's illegal though!!
You also need the official Sony network adapter (the hard drive connects to it) and there's some software called HD Advance (I paid about £15 for it). You also need to be careful what hard drive you use as some (Western Digital for a start) don't fit on the adapter.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:12 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Can I Take My Games Console To Oz?

Originally Posted by Briz-chick

Our PS2 is chipped and going with us and although the standard games may work (if you are correct) then if the region code is different from here then movies will not play on it if people want to use it to play DVD's.

What region code is Oz?

In England 2 & 4 will play in a standard DVD player.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
What region code is Oz?
Region 4.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Carruss
Our PS2 is chipped and going with us and although the standard games may work (if you are correct) then if the region code is different from here then movies will not play on it if people want to use it to play DVD's.

What region code is Oz?

In England 2 & 4 will play in a standard DVD player.
An oz dvd I bought online recently worked, but an older one didn't...
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:28 am
Banned

Hmmmmm.

Still confused. Question not really answered!?

Doesn't a UK Xbox (because it's PAL) need to feed into a PAL TV? If so, I've got problems as we're not shipping our tv (they need to be reconfigured to work in Oz).

Any ideas?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:38 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm.

Still confused. Question not really answered!?

Doesn't a UK Xbox (because it's PAL) need to feed into a PAL TV? If so, I've got problems as we're not shipping our tv (they need to be reconfigured to work in Oz).

Any ideas?
Australian TV's are PAL - they use a slightly different flavour of PAL but that's irrelevant. Your console will almost certainly work on an Oz TV.

The problem with reconfiguring the TV is to do with how the TV tuner decodes the sound signals from the airwaves. By using SCART or RCA, you don't use the TV tuner and therefore this problem doesn't manifest.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:40 am
Banned

Ah ha!

Thanks wmoore - so basically I can take my Xbox to Oz, buy and Oz tv and we're all ok?

Leave the tv here, take the xbox yep?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:40 am
What's happening dudes?

Ah ha!

Thanks wmoore - so basically I can take my Xbox to Oz, buy and Oz tv and we're all ok?

Leave the tv here, take the xbox yep?
Yep. I'm taking my PS2 with me and don't expect any probs.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:42 am
Banned

Superb - Cheers!

If you're off to Sydney, I'll buy you a
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:47 am
What's happening dudes?

Superb - Cheers!

If you're off to Sydney, I'll buy you a
Mebbe for new year celebrations, otherwise Brisbane. But I'll hold you to that beer
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:54 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I bought my PS2 in Perth when it came out in 2000. It works fine in the UK and is chipped too. It woiuldn`t play region 2 dvd`s but I got the dvd-region free thing plugged into it.... then bought a cheap decent dvd player for £40 anyway.

Rossers, I`d be interested to know more about the hd/network thing please, as it`s something I may do before we leave the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.