Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I take GBP with me

Can I take GBP with me

Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice
Default Can I take GBP with me

Hi all
I am going to Perth on 15th Dec for 4 weeks to validate. Instead of exchanging my cash for AUD or travellers cheques can I take stirling and exchange over there at a bank
Any advise welcome
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can I take GBP with me

Originally Posted by lovealot
Hi all
I am going to Perth on 15th Dec for 4 weeks to validate. Instead of exchanging my cash for AUD or travellers cheques can I take stirling and exchange over there at a bank
Any advise welcome
No problem at all, although there is an upper limit above which you must declare it on arrival - I think it is $10,000 but not 100% on this
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by lovealot
Hi all
Any advise welcome
Hello

Cash is always a risk to carry. True, travellers cheques can be a hassle - out of money at midnight hmm, what to do, but if you take GBP with you, you may have the same problem.

Without advertising AMEX have you thought about their "Travellers cheque card"? see http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/tcc/index.shtml

Amex is widely accepted in Asia and Australia (I appreciate that it is not so wide spread in the UK, can use mine in only limited places). You can also use it in ATM's. I don't know all the terms and conditions but it may be worth thinking about.

Also if you exchange cash, as opposed to travellers cheques, you usually get a worse exchange rate, so if you really want to take GBP (avoiding fx charges if you do not spend all the money) I would suggest travellers cheques, not cash.

Just a thought
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

ali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura about

We took all our holiday money in pound notes , and exchanged them to Au dollars whilst there , the exchange rate was a bit poor at £1 to AU$2.2 .
But whilst we were there I bought a few things on my plastic debit card , when I got home and had a look on the bank website , the exchange rate was much better , about £1 to AU$ 2.35 . There was a fee as well though , for overseas transactions , and this was a pound , but overall I thought it was good way to buy expensive items and get a good rate .
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:48 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali n ali
We took all our holiday money in pound notes , and exchanged them to Au dollars whilst there , the exchange rate was a bit poor at £1 to AU$2.2 .
But whilst we were there I bought a few things on my plastic debit card , when I got home and had a look on the bank website , the exchange rate was much better , about £1 to AU$ 2.35 . There was a fee as well though , for overseas transactions , and this was a pound , but overall I thought it was good way to buy expensive items and get a good rate .

I agree bring your debit card(switch) with ya.......it easier and safer there r atm's all over the place. OK there is a quid fee but if u r taking out 100 quid then its no worries....when i used the atm for the first time it was very strange havin $ notes come out insted of pounds lol sad I know
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:42 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here three times on holiday and I always bought my UK card which I used in ATM's and in shops/restaurants etc.

In fact I still have the accont and the card so that family can put money in to the account for the kids birthdays/xmas and all I have to do is tke my card out and buy their stuff with it.