Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can i ship trucks to oz?

Can i ship trucks to oz?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road
Default Can i ship trucks to oz?

Does any one know if i would be able to ship my 2 trucks out to oz to start up a new business? I have a small haulage business here in uk but have been granted a state sponsored business visa for oz. The trucks out there are very expensive and i have 2 lorries under a year old here. I could never afford to buy equivalent lorries in oz.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i ship trucks to oz?

Originally Posted by rhona
Does any one know if i would be able to ship my 2 trucks out to oz to start up a new business? I have a small haulage business here in uk but have been granted a state sponsored business visa for oz. The trucks out there are very expensive and i have 2 lorries under a year old here. I could never afford to buy equivalent lorries in oz.
Yes, if you have the cash to pay to transport then not an issue. You'd need to speak to a few shipping companys to get prices off them, would estimate at £10k min each
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:16 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

you will face the problem of the trucks being less than 12 months old as well.

You can only import vehicles you have owned for more than a year.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yes, if you have the cash to pay to transport then not an issue. You'd need to speak to a few shipping companys to get prices off them, would estimate at £10k min each
Not to mention all of the other compliance charges/regulations, vehicle registration, if they will register them, and above all, import charges he would have to attend to, I think transport fees might be the least of his worries Added to that if they breakdown, he could also run the risk of not being able to get parts readily, as I imagine the parts supply for European trucks is not plentiful here.
I must admit this is the first time a poster has asked about importing a truck.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 8th 2008 at 10:46 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road

thanks for replies guys. Sounds like it would cost a fortune with a lot of hassle too! oh well back to the drawing board no nice easy 8 wheel tipper for me!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Littleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really nice

You could contact this guy. He was very good when I was planning to move last year and taking the car with me. If possible he will advise you the costs etc.

Kevin

[email protected]
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhona
thanks for replies guys. Sounds like it would cost a fortune with a lot of hassle too! oh well back to the drawing board no nice easy 8 wheel tipper for me!

Found some more info re commercial vehicle importation in addition to what I posted last night. Have a look at this thread, specifically post #3 of the three links I found http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547873.