Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I Pre-Vote for the Federal Election?

Can I Pre-Vote for the Federal Election?

Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I Pre-Vote for the Federal Election?

In the Victorian elections we were allowed to vote for the week before polling day without giving a reason.

Can this be done for the Federal Election?

Or do I have to find a good excuse like "it only feels like a real election if I vote on Thursday"
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Pre-Vote for the Federal Election?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
In the Victorian elections we were allowed to vote for the week before polling day without giving a reason.

Can this be done for the Federal Election?

Or do I have to find a good excuse like "it only feels like a real election if I vote on Thursday"
Not being able to vote I haven't taken much notice of this event which seems yo centre round mud-slonging, but we have people coming to a workshop next Saturday and my colleague has been talking with them about their ,making arrangements to vote beforehand, so it must be possible. Try ringing the Electoral Commission?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not being able to vote I haven't taken much notice of this event which seems yo centre round mud-slonging, but we have people coming to a workshop next Saturday and my colleague has been talking with them about their ,making arrangements to vote beforehand, so it must be possible. Try ringing the Electoral Commission?
I know it's possible with an excuse. I'm just wondering how good the excuse has to be.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We voted a week before a federal election once. We'd booked a trip to the US months before and obviously weren't going to cancel it just so we could vote.

You just have to turn up at one of the prescribed voting places and do it. I can't remember anyone asking us for our reasons (but I'd have thought that being overseas was a good one .
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Voted at the airport before leaving for an overseas trip a week or so ago.

No one asked me to prove I was actually leaving. I just signed a form to say I would not be able to vote in my normal area.

So I would say it was easy enough to do as you get fined if you do not vote your excuse is you might be worried about being hung over and drunk the day of the election! I am sure they are more about your vote than your excuse

Cheers
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sandra
Voted at the airport before leaving for an overseas trip a week or so ago.

No one asked me to prove I was actually leaving. I just signed a form to say I would not be able to vote in my normal area.

So I would say it was easy enough to do as you get fined if you do not vote your excuse is you might be worried about being hung over and drunk the day of the election! I am sure they are more about your vote than your excuse

Cheers
Thanks for that (and Nicky). I think the next time I pass the office (which is on the way to the supermarket) I'll pop in and say that I won't be able to vote on Saturday. If they ask why I'll say that I'm going overseas.

Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:25 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Thanks for that (and Nicky). I think the next time I pass the office (which is on the way to the supermarket) I'll pop in and say that I won't be able to vote on Saturday. If they ask why I'll say that I'm going overseas.

all the info can be found here
http://www.aec.gov.au/
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I voted this morning as I'm on fire brigade duty this weekend.

They didn't need any ID which I was surprised at, just filled out a form with my address and a declaration and handed me the papers.

It was the first time I have voted in Australia, it made me quite emotional.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth

They didn't need any ID which I was surprised at, just filled out a form with my address and a declaration and handed me the papers.

Tell me you didn't change your mind at the last minute ...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Tell me you didn't change your mind at the last minute ...
If by "change my mind" you mean ended up voting Liberal, then no, I didn't.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get sent any card or whathaveyou here or just rock up and say your name? How do you know where to go?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Do you get sent any card or whathaveyou here or just rock up and say your name? How do you know where to go?
just rock up
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20

lists all polling places
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
just rock up
Originally Posted by biggy

lists all polling places
Thanks hun. I need to be able to tell hubby where to go
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by renth

That's a good one. Maybe I'll use that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.