Reload this Page >

Can I move to Australia?

Can I move to Australia?

Old May 7th 2019, 9:35 am
Just Joined

kourt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I move to Australia?

Hello!

I am currently looking into moving to Australia and I am getting confused regarding what visas my husband and I are able to apply for. My husband is a Web developer/software programmer and his occupation is on the Skilled Occupation list. He has 3 years experience in this job. I am would also want to be able to work, however I am not a skilled worker (mostly worked in cafes, and did some admin work). We want to make a permanent move to Australia and understand that different Visas have different time restrictions. Any and all advice/tips/information will be very much appreciated

Just a bit more info if needed: my husband is a Portuguese citizen but has lived in the UK from 2013-2019 and is 21 years old. He also has some GCSE qualifications (including English and Maths). I am a British citizen and 20 years old. I have 9 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. We have been residing in Portugal since mid-Feb this year.

Thanks in advance,
Kourtney
Old May 7th 2019, 10:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move to Australia?

Originally Posted by kourt
Hello!

I am currently looking into moving to Australia and I am getting confused regarding what visas my husband and I are able to apply for. My husband is a Web developer/software programmer and his occupation is on the Skilled Occupation list. He has 3 years experience in this job. I am would also want to be able to work, however I am not a skilled worker (mostly worked in cafes, and did some admin work). We want to make a permanent move to Australia and understand that different Visas have different time restrictions. Any and all advice/tips/information will be very much appreciated

Just a bit more info if needed: my husband is a Portuguese citizen but has lived in the UK from 2013-2019 and is 21 years old. He also has some GCSE qualifications (including English and Maths). I am a British citizen and 20 years old. I have 9 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. We have been residing in Portugal since mid-Feb this year.

Thanks in advance,
Kourtney
I recommend you contact Peter Chiam at Ptlabs consulting - he specializes in IT visa applications and quite honestly I don't think I would be living in Australia now if I hadn't had his help. I think he will do a free assessment from memory.

Ptlabs Consulting - Migration Agents
Old May 7th 2019, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

kourt is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be sure to check him out, thank you very much
Old May 7th 2019, 9:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

In all likelihood a permanent move is not an option for you at the moment.

For skilled migration there are tertiary qualification and/or work experience requirements in order to obtain a positive skills assessment.

Without tertiary qualifications ACS requires 8 years relevant work experience. (see section 4 below...and also Buzzy's link)

https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/a...Aug%202018.pdf
Old May 7th 2019, 11:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding your husband and his ability to return to the UK, I would strongly recommend applying for his Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme if he hasn’t done so already. It is free and will permit him to return to the UK without restriction up to five years after leaving.

https://www.gov.uk/eusettledstatus
Old May 7th 2019, 11:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I think you're posting similar questions on the US forum (under a different name, for some reason). For Au, he might get a visa independently but would he get a job? With three years' experience, what's special about him that would make an employer recruit him remotely? Or if he got his visa, would you have the means to move here on spec, without jobs?

And I honestly doubt he'd get a sponsored visa. Ah and I've just realised he doesn't have a degree.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I'm just trying to make you see things realistically. We moved to Oz on a 457 but my husband was already in a senior role with the employer in another country, and had about 15 years' experience. Similarly, with respect to your US thread, my husband is being sponsored because he's at VP level, not a software developer with three years' experience.

I really wish you both luck, whichever way you go, but I think you're going to need it.