Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I have 3 Good Reasons...

Can I have 3 Good Reasons...

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

MrsTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I have 3 Good Reasons...

to move to Adelaide instead of Sydney/Central Coast?

Need info to convince my husband to go for a visit...

thanks,

MrsT
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:18 pm
WBB

PP enters stage left.

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
PP enters stage left.

I was hoping she might...

Sorry to hijack this so early but... has anyone been been watching Russell Coight's Australian Adventures on FTn on Wednesdays?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:24 pm
WBB

Originally posted by MrsTurbo
I was hoping she might...

Sorry to hijack this so early but... has anyone been been watching Russell Coight's Australian Adventures on FTn on Wednesdays?

is it possible to hijack your own thread?

technically i guess it is but then they all get hijacked at some point or other so i suppose that is a good strategy to get in first.

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:25 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have 3 Good Reasons...

thanks,

MrsT

dont ppl in adelaide talk with dribble and have 6 fingers or is that darwin .. damn i aint very good
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
dont ppl in adelaide talk with dribble and have 6 fingers or is that darwin .. damn i aint very good

no, no - darwin invented monkeys turning into people or something like that....
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:29 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Having been to Adelaide but nowhere else in Aus, I guess you're comparing apples and cheese as Adelaide is so much smaller than Sydney I think.

I like that, as I live in a town, near a big city (Leeds) but it wouldn't suit everyone. I hear life is faster in the bigger cities and I'm looking for a slightly slower lifestyle.

Having said that, job opportunities are said to be more limited because of Adelaide's size.

Just my (one-sided) two cents worth...

Elaine
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Elaine M
Having been to Adelaide but nowhere else in Aus, I guess you're comparing apples and cheese as Adelaide is so much smaller than Sydney I think.

I like that, as I live in a town, near a big city (Leeds) but it wouldn't suit everyone. I hear life is faster in the bigger cities and I'm looking for a slightly slower lifestyle.

Having said that, job opportunities are said to be more limited because of Adelaide's size.

Just my (one-sided) two cents worth...

Elaine
I lived in Sydney for about 8 years, the only way I'd live there now is if I won Lotto and could buy wherever I want. Understand what you're saying about lifestyle - I'm all for a slower one myself.

Our problem is we're both ditherers and I'm getting a bit worried that once we're out there we'll end up living with my Mum forever!!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 12:21 am
Merlot

thanks,

MrsT
Have you ever been to the NSW Central Coast?

Lovely place to visit but dull as dish water to live here.

Been here 3 years and wished we had never left Sydney, though moving to the UK to live for a couple of years in March 2004. Been to Adelaide, though back in 1992, I liked it.

Nothing happens here on the Coast! I have been told it is not bad for families and houses are cheap but as we have no kids and rent not much use.

Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks,

MrsT
What is he into? Adelaide is not for the big city types.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

How come i missed htis earlier??

BP..you keep saying htat Adelaide is not for big city people...i say that is not so... i come from one of the bigest cities in the world...London and owned a taxi company there for many years, and i find Aldelaide more than ok for my liking.... i think you confuse big city people with YOUNGER people.

Can you name me one thing you can do in Sydney that you cant do in Adelaide?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:09 am

Originally posted by podgypossum
How come i missed htis earlier??

BP..you keep saying htat Adelaide is not for big city people...i say that is not so... i come from one of the bigest cities in the world...London and owned a taxi company there for many years, and i find Aldelaide more than ok for my liking.... i think you confuse big city people with YOUNGER people.

Can you name me one thing you can do in Sydney that you cant do in Adelaide?
That is what I here from those who are from there. That is people of all ages but particularly people under 40. The wifes nephew was up at the weekend complaining about how crap the computer shops were there and how he could get all the games he wanted here. The sister in law was comlaining at how crap the shops were.

Adelaide will just have less variety of everything Sydney has. It is like comparing liverpool to London.

The main difference between the 2 is jobs. The company I worked for closed down the Adelaide office and those made redundant are moving to Sydney because the work in their fields is not in Sydney.

I could go on but the relevance is dependant on your lifestyle and profession.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:13 am
Badge

Originally posted by Merlot
Have you ever been to the NSW Central Coast?
Central Coast beautiful - where I am now. Best of both worlds. Cheaper than Sydney but prices are booming. Lovely beaches and lakes. Kind of semi rural in places but not. Not faceless suburbs like Sydney or Melborne. Never far from town, beach or water. Can commute to Sydney or Newcastle in less than 2 hours OR set up a business servicing the area. Love it. God's playground.

Badge

Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Well the availability for computer stuff is rubbish. My husband is really into puter stuff and builds his own and always fddling about with new things and he has already found a great place in Hallet cove that has everything you need.

Of course Sydney will have more variety of things purely because its larger in size, but it doesnt mean Adelaide doesnt have them. There is an abundance of great quality restaurants here, (in fact better than all the ones i tried in Sydney)
There are loads of nightclubs to choose from open till 5-6 in the morning (met a young pommie girl yesterday who works in one of them)

Adelaide has a great beach and all the usual large department stores and shops you get all over Oz.
It has heaps of museums and art galleries.

Wildlife parks

Excellent kids facilities

It is even surrounded by the hills just like Sydney so that you can get away from city and beach and go bush if you like.

And finally...just along the coast a short way, is the start of the Great Ocean Road.

there...all done...anythng you want to know...

Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:33 am

Originally posted by podgypossum
Well the availability for computer stuff is rubbish. My husband is really into puter stuff and builds his own and always fddling about with new things and he has already found a great place in Hallet cove that has everything you need.

Of course Sydney will have more variety of things purely because its larger in size, but it doesnt mean Adelaide doesnt have them. There is an abundance of great quality restaurants here, (in fact better than all the ones i tried in Sydney)
There are loads of nightclubs to choose from open till 5-6 in the morning (met a young pommie girl yesterday who works in one of them)

Adelaide has a great beach and all the usual large department stores and shops you get all over Oz.
It has heaps of museums and art galleries.

Wildlife parks

Excellent kids facilities

It is even surrounded by the hills just like Sydney so that you can get away from city and beach and go bush if you like.

And finally...just along the coast a short way, is the start of the Great Ocean Road.

there...all done...anythng you want to know...

I hear the Ocean road is more than a short drive away. The computer thing is not rubbish. The bloke was on about recently released games.

Surely Adelaide has more than one beach. Adelaide may have the usual department stores but it is the unusual stuff that makes Sydney. If you want a city who gives a stuff about hills and wildlife parks although Sydney is not short of them.

Adelaide may have art gallerys but so does every capital city in Oz. Sydney just happens to attract the world class events.

Adelaide is lot smaller and does not offer as much as Sydney but not everyone wants the big city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.