Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I get a working visa in Australia being self employed with my own company?

Can I get a working visa in Australia being self employed with my own company?

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Kyliemac31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I get a working visa in Australia being self employed with my own company?

Just looking for some information on if I could get a working visa in Australia.
I currently have my own wedding business in the UK offering hair and makeup for weddings and have a team of self employed staff.

I would love to take my business over to Australia and take on other hair and makeup artists on a self employed basis.

I wouldn't be looking to work in a salon and wouldn't need a premises as i would travel to brides venues to get them ready.

As a 31 year old I wasn't sure if I working visa with my own company would be possible.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kylie
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can I get a working visa in Australia being self employed with my own company?

Hi there and welcome to BE.

You found us

As this area is more for an intro and you are asking a specific question about Australia, I'll move this to the Oz forum for you.

All the best.
BEVS
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get a working visa in Australia being self employed with my own company?

Originally Posted by Kyliemac31
Just looking for some information on if I could get a working visa in Australia.
I currently have my own wedding business in the UK offering hair and makeup for weddings and have a team of self employed staff.

I would love to take my business over to Australia and take on other hair and makeup artists on a self employed basis.
Sounds like you are talking about Business visas, of which there are many. The provisional type business visas give you a period of time to setup a business, then can transition to permanent visas. They do tend to require a minimum amount of money to invest though, and can be selective in the types of business.

eg https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/188-
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kyliemac31

I wouldn't be looking to work in a salon and wouldn't need a premises as i would travel to brides venues to get them ready.

As a 31 year old I wasn't sure if I working visa with my own company would be possible.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kylie
Business visas have very high entry hurdles, you would need to show a track record of very substantial turnover which I suspect is not the case in this type of business. Also you say you "have a team" or would "take on" people on a self employed basis but this is an important technicality, if they are self employed you have not taken them on whereas I believe a business visa would have the criteria of generating employment (not outsourcing / sub-contracting).

So I suspect your best bet is to look into skilled migration as a hairdresser. You cannot do it independently, you would need to secure state sponsorship, currently NT and Tasmania appear to be sponsoring but it is possible that they will have conditions such as a job offer.

Once you have the permanent skilled migrant visa, you can do what you like.