Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

Wikiposts

Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get Scrumpy Jack in Aus

When i was a kid in the 60,s they made "scrumpy" cider in the Adelaide hills ,it sold for 80 cents a flagon and it was deadly .................. mm
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
When i was a kid in the 60,s they made "scrumpy" cider in the Adelaide hills ,it sold for 80 cents a flagon and it was deadly .................. mm
Now THAT sounds like my kind of cider
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:22 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
Your right apart from strongbow, Mercury cider was the only other one l ever had and l liked Mercury cider alot better. These are the only two brands of cider they sell in OZ as far as l know.
Well you're quite right, Aussie Strongbow isn't a patch on Mercury. Confusingly, it's nothing like English Strongbow and I presume there's no connection (just like the Marmite confusion then!)
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:36 pm
Class 2 Guru

Mmm yum I'm with Pollyana on that one. There must be someone making it somewhere still. I wonder what kind of apples they grew/grow there. That's the critical thing.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Mmm yum I'm with Pollyana on that one. There must be someone making it somewhere still. I wonder what kind of apples they grew/grow there. That's the critical thing.
I guess thats why Mercury is a reasonable cider too - Tassies apples are excellent, though the industry suffered a lot when the EU (then the Common Market) stopped them being sent to the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:15 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I guess thats why Mercury is a reasonable cider too - Tassies apples are excellent, though the industry suffered a lot when the EU (then the Common Market) stopped them being sent to the UK.
Alas, not the same thing at all, if you mean Tassie eating apples. (What varieties do they grow there BTW? Any decent ones?) Cider apples are a completely different kettle of... er, apples.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:29 pm
Class 2 Guru

Alas, not the same thing at all, if you mean Tassie eating apples. (What varieties do they grow there BTW? Any decent ones?) Cider apples are a completely different kettle of... er, apples.
Answering my own question with regard to the eating apples, at least:
Variety Trees
Red Delicious 392,500
Fuji 266,349
Golden Delicious 141,452
Jonagold 129,951
Granny Smith 46,443
Gala (Royal, Imperial) 206,644
Cripps Pink (Pink LadyTM) 106,445
Braeburn 67,037
Cripps Red (SundownerTM) 86,111
Other varieties (early) 22,323
Other varieties (late) 81,389

(from http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.ns...UN-5NU7KK?open)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, not a single really good variety amongst the lot of them. No Cox, no Russet of any kind, no Discovery, the list of decent apple varieties that they could grow is long and mouth-watering. That really is so depressing. I think I'll have to go back to England, sob. Or grow my own.

After that I hold out no hope for really decent cider.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:53 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Druid
Well, someone must know.

The Druid, soon to be Aussi Druid
haven't seen any, why do you want to drink that for out here?

There's loads of nice out here to get you sozzled
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:22 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by walla1
haven't seen any, why do you want to drink that for out here?

There's loads of nice out here to get you sozzled
Beer is no substitute for cider, nor vice versa. This of course is a good thing, since in countries where you can get both it means twice as much fun drinking.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:48 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

"It goes back 10-15 years and I spent six years touring the world and ended up in the UK," he said.

"[I] went into a supermarket and there was not just an ordinary selection of apples, and I tried them and they were absolutely beautiful and I thought 'when I get home one day I'll plant apple trees'."

"It doesn't taste like apples, as wine doesn't taste like grapes," Mr Thorogood said. "The apples and oak seem to blend together and it comes out as a very full-bodied drink."

Worth trying perhaps.

Oak rules at the Burra cider house
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Answering my own question with regard to the eating apples, at least:
Variety Trees
Red Delicious 392,500
Fuji 266,349
Golden Delicious 141,452
Jonagold 129,951
Granny Smith 46,443
Gala (Royal, Imperial) 206,644
Cripps Pink (Pink LadyTM) 106,445
Braeburn 67,037
Cripps Red (SundownerTM) 86,111
Other varieties (early) 22,323
Other varieties (late) 81,389

(from http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.ns...UN-5NU7KK?open)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, not a single really good variety amongst the lot of them. No Cox, no Russet of any kind, no Discovery, the list of decent apple varieties that they could grow is long and mouth-watering. That really is so depressing. I think I'll have to go back to England, sob. Or grow my own.

After that I hold out no hope for really decent cider.
We have a "cox,s orange pippin" on our property , it would produce a tonne of fruit a year, look here. www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s123568.htm ... mm
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Quinkana
"It goes back 10-15 years and I spent six years touring the world and ended up in the UK," he said.

"[I] went into a supermarket and there was not just an ordinary selection of apples, and I tried them and they were absolutely beautiful and I thought 'when I get home one day I'll plant apple trees'."

"It doesn't taste like apples, as wine doesn't taste like grapes," Mr Thorogood said. "The apples and oak seem to blend together and it comes out as a very full-bodied drink."

Worth trying perhaps.

Oak rules at the Burra cider house
SNAP great minds think allike methinks ??? ...................... mm
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Not too far from here then! We were off to maleny tomorrow, but perhaps we'll just take a little jaunt down there instead........
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:02 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

SNAP great minds think allike methinks ??? ...................... mm
Generally but I tried your link - it did not work so I found a working link for you.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Thats my kind of cider, we only get genuine "scrumpy" here in the south west counties, as I am in the north west I dont get it that often, flagons of cloudy murcy extremely alcoholic apple juice and a great big cornish pastie to boot............... dont know how I am going to manage in Aus.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.