Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can i get my deposit back?

Can i get my deposit back?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Lswuk3432 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i get my deposit back?

Hi. I'm living in Tasmania and have been living this share house since last July.
The contract for this house is by 6months and I extended it last month, so my new contract is until this June. Unfortunately, the owner of this house and i have had some conflicts and i don't want to live here anymore. Can i get my deposit back? The conflict is not about payment. I always paid on time. Please help me out here. My housemate is also having the same problem as me.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can i get my deposit back?

I don't think it's so much a question of getting your deposit back as being held to the contract you've signed until June. In all likelihood you will either have to pay the rent until the end of the contract period or else find someone else to move in and pay it.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lswuk3432
Hi. I'm living in Tasmania and have been living this share house since last July.
The contract for this house is by 6months and I extended it last month, so my new contract is until this June. Unfortunately, the owner of this house and i have had some conflicts and i don't want to live here anymore. Can i get my deposit back? The conflict is not about payment. I always paid on time. Please help me out here. My housemate is also having the same problem as me.
I agree with DC10 - unless the landlord has breached something in your contract you'll have to keep paying the rent until he/she can rent the house out again. Some contracts also allow for additional penalties for breaking a lease. Sorry to hear you're not happy where you are, that's not a nice way to live
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I agree with DC10 - unless the landlord has breached something in your contract you'll have to keep paying the rent until he/she can rent the house out again. Some contracts also allow for additional penalties for breaking a lease. Sorry to hear you're not happy where you are, that's not a nice way to live
You may also have to pay for advertising the property again , I look after my mothers rental property for her ( very elderly) . Her agent charges her for re advertising even if the lease has been broken early....I thought the person breaking the lease paid this until an new tennant can be found... but apparently not. Maybe both are paying in a round about way
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
You may also have to pay for advertising the property again , I look after my mothers rental property for her ( very elderly) . Her agent charges her for re advertising even if the lease has been broken early....I thought the person breaking the lease paid this until an new tennant can be found... but apparently not. Maybe both are paying in a round about way
My understanding and experience is that the tenant pays a proportion of the fee - if they break the lease 6 months into a 12 month lease, they pay half of the leasing fee charged to the owner. They are obviously required to pay rent until a new tenant is found, as well. Note that they haven't actually broken the lease until a new contract is formed with a new tenant, so if they notify you at 6 months but new tenant doesn't move in until 8 months into the original contract the tenant would pay rent for the intervening two months but would then only pay a third of the release fee.