Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CAN I GET A MORTGAGE ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA???

CAN I GET A MORTGAGE ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA???

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:36 am
Just Joined

craigwills is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation CAN I GET A MORTGAGE ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA???

I AM CURRENTLY LIVIN IN OZ ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO WORK FOR 2 YEARS B4 I GET RESIDENCY, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS GOT A MORTGAGE ON THIS VISA AND CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.ALSO WHO IS THE BEST LENDER IN OZ?

THANKS

CRAIG

Last edited by craigwills; Sep 3rd 2007 at 8:21 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

superchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAN I GET A MORTGAGE ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA???

i think you can apply for residency after 6 months. With the 457 you can get an 8o% mortgage only.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigwills
I AM CURRENTLY LIVIN IN OZ ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO WORK FOR 2 YEARS B4 I GET RESIDENCY, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS GOT A MORTGAGE ON THIS VISA AND CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

THANKS

CRAIG
Yes you can get a mortgage but you will be need authorisation to purchase from FIRB and any offer such be subject to this approval. You will need a 20% deposit as lenders will not lend any more than 80%.

On a side issue you are not guaranteed PR after 2 years, the 2 year period just exempts you from doing the skills assessment. You can apply for a 136 (don't know the number of the new visa) or obtain ENS sponsorship right away you just have to have your skills assessed.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:23 am
Just Joined

craigwills is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superchick
i think you can apply for residency after 6 months. With the 457 you can get an 8o% mortgage only.
THANKS SUPERCHICK
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:53 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigwills
I AM CURRENTLY LIVIN IN OZ ON THE SUBCLASS 457 VISA WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO WORK FOR 2 YEARS B4 I GET RESIDENCY, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS GOT A MORTGAGE ON THIS VISA AND CAN YOU POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.ALSO WHO IS THE BEST LENDER IN OZ?

THANKS

CRAIG
I was on a 457 and got a mortgage within 1 month with NAB.

Andrew
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
On a side issue you are not guaranteed PR after 2 years, the 2 year period just exempts you from doing the skills assessment. You can apply for a 136 (don't know the number of the new visa) or obtain ENS sponsorship right away you just have to have your skills assessed.
Or an RSMS if in Regional Aus = no skill assessment.

In fact I believe you can apply for any visa type you qualify for at any time provided there are no restricting endorsements on your current visa.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:17 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63

Andrew
We have been here 5 weeks, and we just need FIRB approval, and thats all.
I have only been working 9 days, but a letter of employment was enough, but you do need to have at least 20% equity, and the amount of lenders willing to lend can be limited. We have CBA, but they seem to be offering the best deal at the mo anyway.

Hope it helps.

Paul
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

steved01 is on a distinguished road

Andrew
What deposit did you put down?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:51 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steved01
What deposit did you put down?
25% + letter from employer. FIRB required too!
Don't forget, in QLD, if you become PR within 12 months of contract exchange, you can get your FHOG of $7,000.
I was 24 hours late (366 days) and they still gave it to me!

Andrew
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

25% + letter from employer. FIRB required too!
Don't forget, in QLD, if you become PR within 12 months of contract exchange, you can get your FHOG of $7,000.
I was 24 hours late (366 days) and they still gave it to me!

Andrew
But Qld only pay FHOG if you've never owned a house anywhere else before. If you've owned in the UK, you will not get FHOG in Qld.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
But Qld only pay FHOG if you've never owned a house anywhere else before. If you've owned in the UK, you will not get FHOG in Qld.
Sorry, but that is not correct.

QLD qualification is that you cannot claim the FHOG if you've held an interest in, or owned a property in Australia.

You must be at least PR status though so you cannot get it whilst on a 457 visa. Although I believe if you later obtain PR you MAY be able to claim it.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:41 pm
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Bix is right (as per) and you are wrong!
You are perfectly legally entitled to the FHOG if you are a PR and it is your first house in Australia (other countries are not relevant).

However, you are NOT entitled to first-home owners stamp duty discount if you have bought a house anywhere on the planet.

Andrew