Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I carry Brand-new appliances to Australia?

Can I carry Brand-new appliances to Australia?

Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

taz-devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I carry Brand-new appliances to Australia?

On the subject of electricals, do you need to change the plugs or use adapters? If changing the plug is best then can you do them yourself? Probably a silly question so I'm sorry in advance.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spartacus
Where do you live?

How heavy are the appliances?

Do you intend to carry more than one?
I think your witty retort went whoooooooosh over the head but I was thinking the same thing
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:52 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Was flying into India a couple of years ago, was bringing a multi DVD recorder with me, they are V expensive there.
Was told I might have to bribe the airport guys(they make a handy few thousand Rupees on the side for this type of thing when they see westerners coming they're direction)
No bribing was needed in the end.
I wasn't allowed in though, No bribing of any amount would have helped( no Visa!) so turfed back to the Uk - Ireland - Uk - India
Airline fined 10k for the luxury.
So no, In Oz or anywhere else as far as I no, they really couldn't give a crap about electrical items unless its something that could explode of course.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

shellynelly will become famous soon enoughshellynelly will become famous soon enough

We moved to perth september 08, we had a washing machine and large tv only a few months old, we brought new bedding including new mattress that had the original wrapper on and no body said anything to us,
i think as long as you are only bringing one washer/fridge etc i dont think they care
good luck with the move
michelle
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If customs open your container and see a dishwasher, fridge, couple of TV's etc then the reality is that they really don't care if they are new or not.

If they open you container and see a dozen 42" plasma TV's still in the box then that might be a different matter.
So very true - as if customs have the time to look at the every individual items, look at the date of manufacture, does it look used.

No flipping way. They have far more important issues to consider - I'm not sure what but I'm sure they do.

They look at your declaration paperwork and decide what they want to see, give the box numbers to the shipper and they pull these out when ready. They could choose a few randomly but in our case they looked at about 40 boxes from our total of 280 and that was from the descriptions on them. They do NOT look at your boxes and then decide what to open. You list 50 LCD TV's and you're screwed. You list three TV's, and they will not care one bit.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY BOXES ??

How many houses' worth of stuff did you have? - the 3 of us had 29 boxes!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dpande
TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY BOXES ??

How many houses' worth of stuff did you have? - the 3 of us had 29 boxes!
It may have been 180 - cannot recall. But a 5 bedroom large house plus double garage plus large loft plus three kids with playroom, plus study = loads of shite... And I have lots of books too.

The 40ft container was about 97% full I would reckon and they packed it so well that after customs it had to go into two large lorries.

It was a heck of a load of boxes - half of which are still in the garage here since there's no way we could get a house as large as we had in the UK without spending millions
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:28 am
Just Joined

So am I being really dumb with the plug issue I mentioned above?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taz-devil
Yes you are.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

On the subject of electricals, do you need to change the plugs or use adapters? If changing the plug is best then can you do them yourself? Probably a silly question so I'm sorry in advance.
More seriously.. when we first got here we used those blocks with four or six sockets on them and just changed the plug on the end of that to the Oz format.. gradually swapped the rest over to Oz standards over time. Unless its something with a very high power drain, like a cooker, it shouldn't be an issue. Oz plug sockets are still one of my pet hates.. they are bloody hopeless when compared against the UK setup. An Oz double socket looks more at home in a Wendy house than a real one. They are so small that if you plug a mobile phone charger in one socket you can't fit anthing in the other one.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
More seriously.. when we first got here we used those blocks with four or six sockets on them and just changed the plug on the end of that to the Oz format.. gradually swapped the rest over to Oz standards over time. Unless its something with a very high power drain, like a cooker, it shouldn't be an issue. Oz plug sockets are still one of my pet hates.. they are bloody hopeless when compared against the UK setup. An Oz double socket looks more at home in a Wendy house than a real one. They are so small that if you plug a mobile phone charger in one socket you can't fit anthing in the other one.
Thats so annoying isn't it- we have to have three power boards under the desk because of phone chargers, plus some of the moulded plugs are moulded in a certain direction, so the cable comes out of the side on an angle - which again means you can't get anything in next to them.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats so annoying isn't it- we have to have three power boards under the desk because of phone chargers, plus some of the moulded plugs are moulded in a certain direction, so the cable comes out of the side on an angle - which again means you can't get anything in next to them.
Thanks for the reply guys! Seems I won't be giving away my four / six ways when I pack up then!!! I'm just glad that the voltage, hertz and phase are the same so I don't have to throw everything away and start again...
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:04 am
Just Joined

P.S.
Pollyanna - love the "Super Moderator" title!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

P.S.
Pollyanna - love the "Super Moderator" title!
Lot of hard work went into earning that rank
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Lot of hard work went into earning that rank
I bet!