Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can I bury him in the garden???

can I bury him in the garden???

Old Feb 18th 2003, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

lucinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink can I bury him in the garden???

having just gotten a few replies about settling in Oz, i wondered what peoples strategies have been.
For our family, it has been a different process...for all of us. I have always wanted to come to australia..my parents tried to emigrate in the early '90s, but my mum chickened out!!..she couldnt make that final break.However, having portable skills has enabled me to come here and I love it! apart from a saddish chrimbo....
My husband Ad, is the COMPLETE opposite....he wanted to emigrate...was keener than I, but for some reason as soon as he realised that it was longer than a holiday..( 6weeks in or so) he been a complete nightmare to live with, complicated by the fact that I have been working full time (visa conditions) and our youngest is only 2. But my friends partner is at home with 3 kids and he loves it...Many rows and tears later...we are getting there.He has started a job..(6 months later) and has made more friends other than the desperates down the pub!! he speaks to his friends regularly who are in sydney on a working hol, and laughs when I say that I am going to stay forever!! my eldest is loving it and has already started to say (ugh) 'wordah" and potato chips (crisps) so shes fitting in!! I dont know....

I know he knows that hes lucky to be here...but then again??

sorry to moan...............
Old Feb 18th 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can I bury him in the garden???

I'm sorry it has been difficult for you. However your post helps me think about what it might be like so we can face up to it.

My hubby looks after the kids here and will do when we get to Oz and it's quite a difficult position to be in as there is no support network for a bloke, can't join the mothers clubs, isn't invited to things. Fortunately we have good friends there and have made many more via this forum who we will keep in touch with.

I think you make your own happiness and it's easy to give up too soon. I hope we have the strength when the time comes
Mash...

Originally posted by lucinda75
having just gotten a few replies about settling in Oz, i wondered what peoples strategies have been.
For our family, it has been a different process...for all of us. I have always wanted to come to australia..my parents tried to emigrate in the early '90s, but my mum chickened out!!..she couldnt make that final break.However, having portable skills has enabled me to come here and I love it! apart from a saddish chrimbo....
My husband Ad, is the COMPLETE opposite....he wanted to emigrate...was keener than I, but for some reason as soon as he realised that it was longer than a holiday..( 6weeks in or so) he been a complete nightmare to live with, complicated by the fact that I have been working full time (visa conditions) and our youngest is only 2. But my friends partner is at home with 3 kids and he loves it...Many rows and tears later...we are getting there.He has started a job..(6 months later) and has made more friends other than the desperates down the pub!! he speaks to his friends regularly who are in sydney on a working hol, and laughs when I say that I am going to stay forever!! my eldest is loving it and has already started to say (ugh) 'wordah" and potato chips (crisps) so shes fitting in!! I dont know....

I know he knows that hes lucky to be here...but then again??

sorry to moan...............
Old Feb 19th 2003, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Lucinda,

Your post struck a nerve.

I reckon it's going to be quite a culture shock for me and mine. I'll probably be in the same position as your husband, that is no work for quite a while.

Don't get me wrong I'm convinced Oz is the place to be, just a little worried about the logistics.

Thing that spurs me on is my wife and son being happier than we are here.

Perhaps Ad should think about the life he may end up returning to. Jobs and housing aren't the easiest things to resolve in the UK. Pay is going down and house prices are at best remaining level. Seems like the only difference would be having a few mates to see.

Good Luck

Nick
Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mashiraz
I'm sorry it has been difficult for you. However your post helps me think about what it might be like so we can face up to it.

My hubby looks after the kids here and will do when we get to Oz and it's quite a difficult position to be in as there is no support network for a bloke, can't join the mothers clubs, isn't invited to things. Fortunately we have good friends there and have made many more via this forum who we will keep in touch with.

I think you make your own happiness and it's easy to give up too soon. I hope we have the strength when the time comes
Mash...
Could be he will join the mothers kids groups here , what a chance for meeting people I did wonder why so many break up here could be too many house husbands.
The make your own happiness statment is right just add if you travel half way around the world to find it?

Old Feb 20th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

My other half will also not have a job to come to when we move to Oz.

I'm hoping that the company I work for in the UK will be able to find me a job at their office in Melbourne.

Hopefully with me working, this will give "him outdoors" time to complete his study (as a counsellor) and get some qualifications that are recognised in Oz so that I can reduce my hours and perhaps contemplate having another child. We've got a 4 year old daughter as well, so he'll be looking after her until next January when she'll start school.

I just hope he loves Australia as much as I do (he's never been here) and at the moment he's just going along with everything that I've told him about the place, and what to expect when he gets here.