Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can evap aircon give you a cold?

Can evap aircon give you a cold?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can evap aircon give you a cold?

Hi guys
I've had an icky chesty cough for 2 weeks now, I'm wondering if it's the aircon, although I'm trying not to sleep with it on. Has anyone else had an experience of colds etc. from domestic aircon?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can evap aircon give you a cold?

Hi,

As the Airconditioning unit cools it removes alot of the moisture in the air, theirfor this could give you a sore throat, and of course if your pumping 16oC of air over you this could give you a cold to. My advice is to keep the temp set to about 23oC, this is a confortable temp and wont remove to much moisture from the air.

Chris
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We were told that aircon and fans can give you a cold, with the fans it was something to do with moving dust around
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris96
Hi,

As the Airconditioning unit cools it removes alot of the moisture in the air, theirfor this could give you a sore throat, and of course if your pumping 16oC of air over you this could give you a cold to. My advice is to keep the temp set to about 23oC, this is a confortable temp and wont remove to much moisture from the air.

Chris
Hi Chris
Unfortunately we can't just set the temperature, there's just a dial and we kind of guess how windy we want it! I should look into getting a modern reverse cycle unit instead but we're also considering getting gas heating (either but not both!).
Maybe I should get a room thermometer to keep track of it.
Most of the time the old evap systems are pretty effective but when the temp drops suddenly at night you can get really chilly if you don't jump up and turn the darned thing off!
Cheers
Larissa
BTW The evaporative systems actually add moisture to the air, they are fairly effective in dry climates (we're in Perth) but would be rubbish in humid areas. My basic understanding is that they are basically a large fan (unit on roof) which blows across waterpipes. Most of the neighbours round here have the same type of unit although modern houses are going in for the reverse cycle jobbies which are more expensive but cool better, although they are expensive to run. (Plus you can use them for heating in the winter).

Last edited by Larissa; Mar 5th 2006 at 10:18 am. Reason: reread reply and wanted to add something
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karenjc
We were told that aircon and fans can give you a cold, with the fans it was something to do with moving dust around
Ta Karen, I must clean the fans too, I reckon probably the evap unit needs a good clean... as we moved in September I'm not sure when it was last done.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We finally got round to taking the fan blades down from all bedroom ceilings today - OMFG - I have no idea when they were last cleaned but what we have been breathing in when they were on does not bear thinking about. Nutty Nora was a dirty cow