Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can daughter start school at 5 1/2???

can daughter start school at 5 1/2???

Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:51 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default can daughter start school at 5 1/2???

Hi Guys............hopefully we will be in Perth by July, if my police checks every come back that is! does anyone know...................will my daughter be able to go to school full time then (she will be 5 and a half). I think I read that they start at 6 over there, however shes in full time school now and loves it. If she can would I have to pay?

Thanks everyone
Dawn x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:09 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can daughter start school at 5 1/2???

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Guys............hopefully we will be in Perth by July, if my police checks every come back that is! does anyone know...................will my daughter be able to go to school full time then (she will be 5 and a half). I think I read that they start at 6 over there, however shes in full time school now and loves it. If she can would I have to pay?

Thanks everyone
Dawn x
As far as I know, primary education in WA is free. Your daughter will be able to start - they get them in to Kindergarten here, then Pre-school (equivalent to Reception in the UK) then on to years 1, 2, 3 etc...

HTH.

Sue
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:50 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

ahh thanks sue thats good to know x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
As far as I know, primary education in WA is free. Your daughter will be able to start - they get them in to Kindergarten here, then Pre-school (equivalent to Reception in the UK) then on to years 1, 2, 3 etc...

HTH.

Sue
My son started school here in Perth in Pre primary (reception) at 4 years 10 months. The stuff about kids not starting until they are 6 isn't true.
Cheers
Yvonne
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

You can check this table for the correct entry age for your daughter http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ece/WA.htm . My youngest will be 6 next April so is due to start Year 1 in Jan/Feb next year in Perth (if we're there in time ) although she's already in Primary 1 here.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:38 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 5 year old in yr 1 in UK (birthdate August 2000). He will be eligable to start pre-primary in Feb 2006. The primary age intake goes from 1st July to 30th June.
Gillian
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
You can check this table for the correct entry age for your daughter http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ece/WA.htm . My youngest will be 6 next April so is due to start Year 1 in Jan/Feb next year in Perth (if we're there in time ) although she's already in Primary 1 here.

Primary 1 in Scotland is the equivalent of Pre Primary in Aus (and reception in Eng) So Year 1 in Aus is the equivalent of Primary 2 in Scotland- so your daughter's not really going backwards- if you see what I mean!
Yvonne
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi

In Victoria the minimum age for school is that they are 4 by 30 March. They discourage you starting them this early but if they've been used to school in UK they're probably ready.

Flip
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YFitz
Primary 1 in Scotland is the equivalent of Pre Primary in Aus (and reception in Eng) So Year 1 in Aus is the equivalent of Primary 2 in Scotland- so your daughter's not really going backwards- if you see what I mean!
Yvonne
Aaah, I didn't realise that. I had assumed that Pre Primary was like Nursery School. I've got a lot to learn. So can the children already read, write, know their numbers etc when they start Year 1 in Aus?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flip
Hi

In Victoria the minimum age for school is that they are 4 by 30 March. They discourage you starting them this early but if they've been used to school in UK they're probably ready.

Flip

Sorry meant age 5 - anyone tell me how to edit a reply?

Flip
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:11 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Morning.....I think if you log on it gives you the option of editing your reply in the reply youve written, next to blue reply box, should be another box saying edit.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:15 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Sorry everyone...ive seem to have a pea size brain lately!! Can anyone confirm when my daughter can start full time school in Perth. Her date of birth is 23/12/2000 so she will be 5 this coming christmas, I might be better with this answer, maybe its an age thing!!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dawn
Sorry everyone...ive seem to have a pea size brain lately!! Can anyone confirm when my daughter can start full time school in Perth. Her date of birth is 23/12/2000 so she will be 5 this coming christmas, I might be better with this answer, maybe its an age thing!!!
She qualifies to begin full-time Pre Primary in Jan 2006. (I think )
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:19 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

ahh thank you
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:36 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in April and my little boy who is 5 started pre primary (birthday is 10/09/99) So yes your child will be able to strat in Jan 06.
Tracey