Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Old May 3rd 2010, 8:53 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a Chinese fit in in Tasmania, Australia ?

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hey.... Good to come across some Malaysians (or ex.) over here. i was originally from KL. Been in Perth 2.5 years. I love this place but we have got to be honest to ourselves. We are different, physically, from forummers that are migrating from the UK and other parts of Europe. Racism still exist and that is the fact!! I was called a "Silly Asian" once in CBD for being in the way of a cyclist while walking along the 5 foot walkways meant for padestrians. I could have sweared back at the bloke but decided that it is no point... The d!ckhead was probably still half drunk or high on drugs. I have also got to admit that there are lots of friendly Australians around ... who will accept you for who you are IF you are willing to integrate.

Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your little advanture!
I don't find that racist to be honest.

I am more worried about the ones who will come after you with a baseball bat rather than these comments.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:04 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes not saying anything back is the smart thing to do as if someone is drunk or on drugs they can turn violent. l wouldn't take it seriously. Everyone regardless of race gets sworn at and verbally abused and insulted by drunks and idiots on the steets now and again.
Isn't Australia a democracy built on the rule of law? I am fully capable of defending myself so bring it on. If he turns violent then we should charge him with assault.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:25 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Google.

http://www.chung-gon.com/brief.htm
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've not been game to ask this question before, but seeing as I have your and the OP's attention, What would be the biggest hurdle or issue in intergrating ? . From where I sit in very multicultural Moreland in Melbourne, it seems that SE Asians and Chinese seem to fit in quite easily.
No issue at all for me.... We also live in a very multicultural neighourhood. I fit in quite well, I must say.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wowoweee

I am more worried about the ones who will come after you with a baseball bat rather than these comments.
That's because you were not there! Why call me a silly "ASIAN". Why not stupid d!ckhead for that matter??? Think about it, mate.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I've a Malaysian friend who moved to Willeton in January. PM me if you want to get in touch, especially if you play tennis.
Hi.... thanks for the suggestion. However, we live in Butler, approx 60km north of Willeton. I have friends staying in that area too but we hardly visit them due to the distance.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Yes " silly Asian" does'nt really seem that much of an insult, if l was in China and a Chinese called me a " silly white man" becasue l got in his way l would probably laugh l would'nt be insulted.
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:35 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Isn't Australia a democracy built on the rule of law? I am fully capable of defending myself so bring it on. If he turns violent then we should charge him with assault.
l'm not saying you can''t defend yourself but is it worth all the trouble of a violent confrontation just over an insult, would'nt the smart thing to do just to ignore it rather then say something back and risk getting into a fight.

Last edited by mohogony; May 3rd 2010 at 10:37 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:02 am
Just Joined

z3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nicez3phron is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've not been game to ask this question before, but seeing as I have your and the OP's attention, What would be the biggest hurdle or issue in intergrating ? . From where I sit in very multicultural Moreland in Melbourne, it seems that SE Asians and Chinese seem to fit in quite easily.
Can someone kindly explain the very definition of integrating into Australian culture and society?

I don't really know what the typical next door aussie expects from a non anglo saxon person who resides in Australia.
Apart from not speaking english and practising their religious ways in australia.

I've lived with white housemates before, even italians.
And we never had any problems.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:52 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by z3phron
Can someone kindly explain the very definition of integrating into Australian culture and society?

I don't really know what the typical next door aussie expects from a non anglo saxon person who resides in Australia.
Apart from not speaking english and practising their religious ways in australia.

I've lived with white housemates before, even italians.
And we never had any problems.
I think it means not living in an ethnic bubble.