Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:04 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 191
Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Hi all,

I haven't posted many times on this web site but wanted to check on a query. We are going for a 136 visa on my husband's skills (Carpenter) and I assumed that because this was a PR visa both of us would be able to work. Only my Dad asked me if I was sure this was the case........so does anyone know? I assume yes and we couldn't afford for me not to work so I hope so.

Cheers for any advice.

Sun
Sun n Surf is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:15 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
manxfamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,927
manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Hi all,

I haven't posted many times on this web site but wanted to check on a query. We are going for a 136 visa on my husband's skills (Carpenter) and I assumed that because this was a PR visa both of us would be able to work. Only my Dad asked me if I was sure this was the case........so does anyone know? I assume yes and we couldn't afford for me not to work so I hope so.

Cheers for any advice.

Sun
The 136 Skilled Independent Visa is gained by examining the main applicants skills only. The visa does not restrict any person on the application including the main applicant in any way in relation to working within any field.

Your husband could enter Australia and then start working in a café if he wanted to. You too can do whatever you please.
manxfamily is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:23 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 191
Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by manxfamily
The 136 Skilled Independent Visa is gained by examining the main applicants skills only. The visa does not restrict any person on the application including the main applicant in any way in relation to working within any field.

Your husband could enter Australia and then start working in a café if he wanted to. You too can do whatever you please.
Thanks MF. My quals are in Human Resources so I would really like to go into that over there but suddenly got concerned about whether I was entitled to work when it was my husband who was actually getting the visa. I guess they stamp the visas in both our passports so that we both have proof we can work.

Cheers for the advice.

Sun n Surf is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:34 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
manxfamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,927
manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Thanks MF. My quals are in Human Resources so I would really like to go into that over there but suddenly got concerned about whether I was entitled to work when it was my husband who was actually getting the visa. I guess they stamp the visas in both our passports so that we both have proof we can work.

Cheers for the advice.


Indeed they do, we have 3 children (4, 8 and 15) also, they will also have their passports stamped. So they can work too!

Where abouts in Oz are you hoping to head to?
manxfamily is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:25 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 191
Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Indeed they do, we have 3 children (4, 8 and 15) also, they will also have their passports stamped. So they can work too!

Where abouts in Oz are you hoping to head to?
Hi

we are hoping to head to Maroochydore (north of Brisbane). We have got our TRA skills assessment back all accepted ok so hoping to get the visa forms sent off this weekend. We are going through that scared stage now and the what ifs.......i.e. what if one of our parents gets ill. It is a big decision but I think that we would be mad not to do it and would regret it later in life.

Where abouts are you going or are you already there?

Cheers

S
Sun n Surf is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:38 am
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,873
Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf


Hi

we are hoping to head to Maroochydore (north of Brisbane). We have got our TRA skills assessment back all accepted ok so hoping to get the visa forms sent off this weekend. We are going through that scared stage now and the what ifs.......i.e. what if one of our parents gets ill. It is a big decision but I think that we would be mad not to do it and would regret it later in life.

Where abouts are you going or are you already there?

Cheers

S
You most certainly can go to work. In fact I know my hubby will be insisting on it
Anne4Terry is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:51 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 191
Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
You most certainly can go to work. In fact I know my hubby will be insisting on it
Excellent, thanks Anne............I think mine would too and I think that I would go out of my mind with boredom if I didn't.........although part time work sounds good. He He
Sun n Surf is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 9:55 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
manxfamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,927
manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf


Hi

we are hoping to head to Maroochydore (north of Brisbane). We have got our TRA skills assessment back all accepted ok so hoping to get the visa forms sent off this weekend. We are going through that scared stage now and the what ifs.......i.e. what if one of our parents gets ill. It is a big decision but I think that we would be mad not to do it and would regret it later in life.

Where abouts are you going or are you already there?

Cheers

S

Well done you are through the TRA stage, the hardest part IMO. I wouldn’t start panicking just yet; just wait until the visa is just about with you, then it starts becoming scary!

We have just about sold our house and will be investing most of the capital into a State bond to get the extra 5 points required for our 139. Then we should have visas in around 6 weeks or so, we are looking at January at the moment.

Our daughter is finishing her GCSEs in June next year, so we plan to move sometime in July. SE Queensland is also our choice of location. Not as high up as Maroochydore though, closer to Brissie if not in.

As you say, you would be mad not to try, as you would definitely regret it later in life.

Good luck, and don’t let me put you off, although it gets panicky, its only natural for the would be migrant.
manxfamily is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 2:19 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 191
Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: Can both of us work on a 136 visa

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Well done you are through the TRA stage, the hardest part IMO. I wouldn’t start panicking just yet; just wait until the visa is just about with you, then it starts becoming scary!

We have just about sold our house and will be investing most of the capital into a State bond to get the extra 5 points required for our 139. Then we should have visas in around 6 weeks or so, we are looking at January at the moment.

Our daughter is finishing her GCSEs in June next year, so we plan to move sometime in July. SE Queensland is also our choice of location. Not as high up as Maroochydore though, closer to Brissie if not in.

As you say, you would be mad not to try, as you would definitely regret it later in life.

Good luck, and don’t let me put you off, although it gets panicky, its only natural for the would be migrant.
Thanks MF. Yes we were lucky as my husband is wanted over there because he is a carpenter. Funny thing is, the easier it gets to get over there, the more you question yourself. I think that when things are difficult you strive for them more and don't question yourself as much. I think that we would be thinking of going summer next year as well (providing the visa comes through ok) so we will probably be in the same kind of area as you and may bump into each other at one of the ex-pats drinks. ..............you never know.
Sun n Surf is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.