Reload this Page >

can anyone settle this

Wikiposts

can anyone settle this

Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anyone settle this

des is quite keen to leave loads of stuff behind so the new owners can sort it out and bin it, i say lets get rid of it ourselves and leave the house spick and span with a bottle of champers for the new owners on their arrival

considering they are taking on our cat who is right

arlene
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:28 am
Top Banana

Mad as cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

You have certain legal responsibilities. If you remove a shelf for example you have to fill the holes (although not paint them) If the list you fill out for the solicitor (can't remember what's it called) states your not leaving the fridge they can charge you for its removal if you leave it.

There's also the ethical side, what would you want to have your next house like when you move in?

julian
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:29 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: can anyone settle this

Originally posted by arlene
des is quite keen to leave loads of stuff behind so the new owners can sort it out and bin it, i say lets get rid of it ourselves and leave the house spick and span with a bottle of champers for the new owners on their arrival

arlene

I was talking about this with a friend of mine at work just last week; she's just bought a house and moved in, only to find the previous owners looked like they had left it in a state. Personally I would get rid of it. No offence to Des but my friend and I had a proper b'tch about the previous owners to her new house
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

There's also the ethical side, what would you want to have your next house like when you move in?

julian [/QUOTE]

my sentiments exactly

one up for me

arlene
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Des's idea is very tempting, but I have to say you're in the right Arlene! Tell him to imagine moving IN to a house full of junk!!
And Julian's right, there is a legal issue on this too.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

it wil be clean just talking about leaving garden furniture and a flat packed wadrobe (in the attic) along with a couple of bits and bobs

still im winning on this one

arlene
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:45 am
Top Banana

Mad as cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually fell foul on this issue. I left a cooker and fridge that wasn't wanted and I had to pay for fee for their removal before my money was released by my solicitor. He's also my father-in-law and he just said I had to pay it as I didn't have a leg to stand on. Most people just moan, but there are some that take action. Do you really want to get charged, I was charged £120, to take a couple trips the dump.

Julian
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The solicitors form of fixtures and fittings ( have just filled one in for the sale of our house ) only tells of the 'printed' things you are leaving.....i.e.....sockets and power points...had a MAJOR laugh at this one...who on earth in their right mind would take their sockets with them??? Theirs some strange people out there!!!!!

Anyhow....my brother bought a house 2 yrs ago and the previous owners left a sunbed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and lots of food in the EXTREMELY grubby food cupboards in the kitchen.

The sellers had no recourse whatsoever and my brother had to dump all their undesirable bits and pieces himself.

Call us hippies, call us whatever you like, but our philosophy in life is: treat others as you would like to be treated yourself and what goes around, comes around....

CLEAR THAT JUNK....SCRUB LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SCRUBBED BEFORE...and ignore Des...he's just a lazy bloke who can't be arsed to take the stuff to the tip!!!!!!!!

Good luck Arlene!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

They might be glad of an extra wardrobe or some garden furniture. Why don't you give them a call and ask them if they want it?

sandy
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:44 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Or better still, haven't you got some rellies or neighbours who might like it for free?

I'm talking about the furniture
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Des, you are truly outnumbered
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:46 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by arlene

arlene

Haven't got a clue about the legal issues.. but certainly and morally speaking , I would leave it clean and empty, with maybe a hamper.. cheese, crackers , flowers and wine, and other goodies ( and a thank you note about your cat and wishing them all the happiness in their new home)

Or, just phone them and ask them ( if you haven't got their phone number.. go through the estate agents) to see if the garden furniture is any use to them.

Or , if nobody want's it, and you can't be bothered going to the dump. just pile up all the stuff in your driveway one weekend , and put a big sign outside your drive with "free garden, household items .. please feel free to take what you want" - there's always someone who wants something for free no matter how tatty.

But I would certainly not leave it for the new owners without asking them first, moving is bad enough, and unpacking your own junk.. without having someone elses unwanted junk to clear out first in your new home.

cheers
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:30 pm
Badge

depends what it is IMHO.

Can't really complain, for example, about garden furniture.
Either they will say "'righto, this may come in handy'", or they will just offload to someone pronto.

If I was left a household of stuff I would be grateful. I would keep what I could use, and offload the rest.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:25 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Clear it out - when we moved into our house the previous owners had left all sorts of junk - some potentially useful and some not - and it was a pain in the arse.

In terms of getting rid of it - we had a de junk before we moved here so it was all neat and tidy for our tenants and piled a load of stuff at the bottom of the drive in preparation for a trip to the dump.

Left it a day and a night and, I am not kidding, it just disappeared.

People took what they wanted - we got several notes through the door asking if it was OK so if you put a sign on it it should go like hot cakes.

Even the most rickety computer table you have ever expereinced in your life went!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

One house we left the landlord let us have the stuff as long as we disposed of what we did not want. He was selling and did not want the hassle of emptying the place. Worked out well for us as we then found a dirt cheap unfurnished place that enabled us to save enough to have a good start here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.