Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a super fund??

Can anyone recommend a super fund??

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone recommend a super fund??

Hello all

markinhull is now markinsydney. Woo Hoo!!!!

we only got here on New Years Day and even though we are still in a hotel it is great.

Anyway, the reason for posting this morning is in the hope that someone can recommend a good super fund as the financial controller where I work has steered me away from the company one.

Thanks
Mark
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:53 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a super fund??

Originally Posted by markinhull
Hello all

markinhull is now markinsydney. Woo Hoo!!!!

we only got here on New Years Day and even though we are still in a hotel it is great.

Anyway, the reason for posting this morning is in the hope that someone can recommend a good super fund as the financial controller where I work has steered me away from the company one.

Thanks
Mark
Welcome to Aus

What field of work do you do?
There are specific Superfunds - for example - I'm a nurse, and my super is with Hesta.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:06 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

If you intend to transfer your UK into it, then it must be on the QROPS list

Some background

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=376

On funds instructions ( Random choice )

http://www.equipsuper.com.au/Site/Us...S_30102007.pdf

Current list

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops-list.htm

You have the choice of general funds or industry funds, and need to look at fee structure as well as performance.

http://www.australiansuper.com/ is the biggest industry fund.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in IT so I will have a look to see what I can find.

Many thanks
Mark
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:03 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I definitely recommend the Virgin Super fund. Nice and simple, and appears to have good returns compared to my previous Super fund!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budgie
I definitely recommend the Virgin Super fund. Nice and simple, and appears to have good returns compared to my previous Super fund!
Is it complicated to set all that up? When we arrived we just went with whatever the company had, which has quite a few fees. We figured we'd eventually move it to something better.

I just want something easy and that doesn't have lots of fees. Just a nice steady return.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
If you intend to transfer your UK into it, then it must be on the QROPS list

Some background

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=376

On funds instructions ( Random choice )

http://www.equipsuper.com.au/Site/Us...S_30102007.pdf

Current list

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/PENSIONSCHEMES/qrops-list.htm

You have the choice of general funds or industry funds, and need to look at fee structure as well as performance.

http://www.australiansuper.com/ is the biggest industry fund.

Thanks for the info - I was going to try to work out what to do with mine next week. This now makes it pretty clear - apart from the ATO form filling bit!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

sason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the roughsason is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Budgie
I can definitely NOT recommend Virgin Super - they misplaced payments three time in less then a year, and every time I had to call them several times and wait several weeks before I had my money in my account... I'm now with Australian Super.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sason
I can definitely NOT recommend Virgin Super - they misplaced payments three time in less then a year, and every time I had to call them several times and wait several weeks before I had my money in my account... I'm now with Australian Super.

Also recommend Australian Super, I have just had my UK Health pension transferred.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I had my salary sac into MLC and it has been excellent. I have a little part time job now and my super from that continues to be deposited in there. I am a bit anxious about the up and down nature of it but that is par for the course unless you were lucky enough to have got into one of the government funds - CSS or PSS (like we did for our main super scheme )
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:05 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mrs transferred her UK pension into MLC and had a nightmare. They also had excessive fees at the time. Work uses BT and I will use them as work pays all the fees. For a while I was using sunsuper because of low fees and decent performance. Not had an issue with them but I have not needed their customer service so far.