Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

That actually sounds BLOODY cheap for a 200m 3ph cable!!

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Not strictly true.

Some builders will absorb some onerous costs, and unseen charges, I agree its not the rule, but Plantation, didnt charge me 1 cent extra over the agreed price some 10 months previous.

On a different vein, we engaged a sparky to run underground 3 phase, up the hill from rd to house, about 200m His initial quotation ( marked QUOTATION and not ESTIMATE ! ) for the legal minded amongst us... was for , example $2k
Having been given the go-ahead, he did the work, and presented me with his final bill. $2,480.00

I told him to swivel.

He said, no mate in QLD we are allowed to adjust the prices based on raw material supply and the levies on copper have increased.

I mentioned the old phrase, TUFF SHIT.

He threatened to sue, I said be my guest, I will counter sue you for falsely obtaining work ! I will also contact the electrical and electricians association ( would have to have foned a mate at Ideal Electric lol )

We settled on $2,200.00 WHich I was so pissed at doing. But ... ffs lifes to short, I did mention he had left a Makita Drill here ( cordless 18v ) that I would be selling it to Cash COnvertors for the $200 he thieved from me !

grrrr

Ste ( with a nice new Makita Drill )
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:40 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Yer think it was more like 4k but couldnt remmeber Debs would relate actual costs but..., Debs has fell out with me, cos .. well..

when she said dont get me anything for xmas... i believed her !!

How Stucking FUpid am I !!!! SO now ive gotta go frigging shopping tomorrow now !!!

------------

Regards Costs.

Rock is the most unpredictable variant down our way, and again can be factored in as a contingency.
christmas is cancelled this year. the house build will be starting in a months weather depending. all my missus will be getting is a new paint brush. i might stretch to a new sander if shes good.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by down under
go tonight, shops open till midnight
Im a fella , soon as it gets dark, its drinking time !!!!

Originally Posted by theshinenz
That actually sounds BLOODY cheap for a 200m 3ph cable!!
Actually it was a good deal, but still its the principle of the thing !

Originally Posted by youngy73
christmas is cancelled this year. the house build will be starting in a months weather depending. all my missus will be getting is a new paint brush. i might stretch to a new sander if shes good.
pmsl.. one year i bought debs a blender. I swear she has a cupboard full of kitchen gadgets that have never been used.

Hows the build going? areya going the OB route? wasnt ya gonna get it to a certain stage by OTHERS< and do the fit out n shit yaself?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:03 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me laugh.

The tradies amongst us, will probably be scoffing at some of the statements on here.

Most tradies, work for 1 perhaps 2 builders. They work at specific rates , that the TRADIES have set, and are happy with.

Coral Homes are like asking for Meccano and getting lego. Still good product but not really what you wanted.

Soon as you move toa vloume house builder, then there are always gonna be hiccups.

In my experience, the shit starts at the top.. and that comes down to SUPERVISION.

Plantation, albeit we built with them, are too stretched on site supervision, and the 3 supervisors im aware of struggle.

I think a KEY area most people are overlooking is the 2 definitions of house builder and house building... a lot of ppl, poss 75%+ are going land and house, when in reality, Plantation Metricon Perry Coral etc etc inc Gardner , will build on your OWN pre purchased land. But due to the sheer logistics of travel in and around Brizzy.. and ppl not all building next to each other and in chronological order, leads to issues.

One builder we work for, currently has 7 sites on the go, with a total of about 100-150 house at all various stages of construction. Furthest North is MorayField, furthest South is Waterford... with ONE supervisor, .. Mark runs around like a blue arsed fly all week, clocking up about 3,000 klm, and visits every site every day !! some feat !

Plantation from experience lack in this area, and at one point our Supervisor wasnt seen on site for 3 weeks.

He later said he had been, but real early . lol I said yer sure, fgs we live next to the site, and I can categorically state he wasnt on site for 3 weeks..

In hindsight, I wouldnt have the house I have now, had we not been so vigilant, and being able to bully the builder.

Ste
One last question..then i'll shut the **** up.....would you build with plantation again?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:18 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
One last question..then i'll shut the **** up.....would you build with plantation again?
Thats the million dollar question, Trig.

During the build I swore blind I wouldnt.

At handover I swore blind I wouldnt.

BUT...

and this is really serious.. they sorted every single issue I had, without question, no probs , no hassle, no shit... and no addittional cost..

Ive said it before, and I have a snag list longer than a babys leg. And they sorted every single item.
We red dotted the house, 3 times, in total 1500 dots !! so those in the know, .. know im either pedantic, or a prick.. DONT answer that 1 lol

Every item got sorted, and for that reason, I would use them again.

There are however design ideas, I am now prepared for for the next build, and as an experienced tradie, perhaps I have a different perspective..

I work on many many many builders houses, all week every week.. and Coral have THE worst rep.
Perry arent too far behind.
Plantation have their old rep to contend with as Henley Grp.
McCarthy, Gardner and Metricon.. all have semi decent reps..

but then, they are more your house ( stockland ) and land builders.. so landscaping to lightbulbs brigade.

So you dont kinda get the same issues as a one off house builder, and I think all builders cop shit, when they work on one solitary home on a solitary block. Irrespective of who they are.

Ste
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:53 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya blue....FFS don't mention Henley...you'll start more crapola....

Oh..sorry..now i'll shut up...maybe!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Good onya blue....FFS don't mention Henley...you'll start more crapola....

Oh..sorry..now i'll shut up...maybe!
p-msl.. one mention of the word, Henley.. and a whole can of worms eruptively explodes...

a tad concerning when a company rebadges itself..
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;5690182]Thats the million dollar question, Trig.

I work on many many many builders houses, all week every week.. and Coral have THE worst rep.
Perry arent too far behind.
Plantation have their old rep to contend with as Henley Grp.
McCarthy, Gardner and Metricon.. all have semi decent reps..

What are the main issues with CORAL HOMES? Have you heard anything about orbit homes?

Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by theshinenz

What are the main issues with CORAL HOMES? Have you heard anything about orbit homes?

Coral, well to be fair, they build lots of homes, so statitically they will get higher acclaim and also higher disdain. But they are aimed at the cheap n cheerful brigade, and something has to give.

Orbit never heard of them, Ownit .. yep heard of them, have no experience other than their show homes are just lovely !