Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:53 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a house builder for Queensland?

Originally Posted by mil
We have just bought plot of land in Peregian Springs, Queensland. We originally had the intention of building a Retreat style home with Plantation Homes but despite numerous emails, we can still get no reply. We are now having second thoughts with regards to using this company if this is the level of service they provide, we are concerned if we actually buy a house with them. Can anyone recommend a decent builder.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mil & Caroline

We bought some land last year and tried dealing with builders from afar but they never returned phone calls/faxes or e-mails and that was at the enquiry stage. Imagine how frustrating it would be if you actually got to the build stage.

We settled on Perry Homes as they are brilliant with their communications and providing information when requested. Paul Burke in the Hervey Bay sales office is excellent and I can't recommend him enough.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:35 pm
mil
Forum Regular

mil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2gill
We bought some land last year and tried dealing with builders from afar but they never returned phone calls/faxes or e-mails and that was at the enquiry stage. Imagine how frustrating it would be if you actually got to the build stage.

We settled on Perry Homes as they are brilliant with their communications and providing information when requested. Paul Burke in the Hervey Bay sales office is excellent and I can't recommend him enough.

Thanks mate, I have to agree. When you are thinking of spending what i feel is a lot of cash to me, the least they can do is answer you. Hopefully I should be in oz early next year so should be around for the time they start actual building. Feel like we are back to square one with the choice of builders.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:50 pm
Stuart and Carolann

stu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant futurestu-carol has a brilliant future

Try Coral Homes
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:30 pm
Dan&Bex

danbex85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mil
We have just bought plot of land in Peregian Springs, Queensland. We originally had the intention of building a Retreat style home with Plantation Homes but despite numerous emails, we can still get no reply. We are now having second thoughts with regards to using this company if this is the level of service they provide, we are concerned if we actually buy a house with them. Can anyone recommend a decent builder.

Thanks

Mil & Caroline
G.J.Gardner Homes are great! My parents are building 2 investment props at the moment and have been impressed with them. They have also recently bought some more land and have placed an order for another 2 with G.J Gardner. The designs that G.J had done were good but they wanted to change it a lot to suit what they wanted. No problems at all. G.J paid for an architect and started from scratch at no extra cost! Fantastic company to deal with and outstanding build quality.

Hotondo homes are also pretty good. PM me if you want to know who to speak to and the contact no.s etc

Plantation are very good but this makes them EXTREMELY BUSY! due to the work load they are maybe rushing some jobs which obviously results in mistakes. I would have to say that plantation has to be one of the most popular builders here on the sunny coast
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:55 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mil

Thanks

Mil & Caroline
We looked at the Retreat/Plantation too, however due to their protracted build time we decided to contract with Adenbrook Homes.

http://www.adenbrookhomes.com.au/

http://www.adenbrookhomes.com.au/hom...m=Peninsula_35
Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

gotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I know a few tradie's..brickies,chipies etc..Plantation pay the lowest rate of pay they can get away with,so consequently get the worst tradies.

I also know 3 people who have had homes built with plantation and not one would build with them again.

Another one to look at is BMW homes
as a carpenter working for plantation homes on the gold coast i resent the comment of worst rates worst tradies .there are a number of tradies who have been used by plantation who have done one job and asked to leave , this is quite common at present due to the lack of qualified tradespeople.on the whole plantation do turn out a nice home. its not down to which company to use but which tradesman once you have decided on a company try to talk to the supervisor who will be doing your home and politely mention handover.com these are a company that will come in and inspect your new home prior to handover this tends to give a little pick me up to a supervisor
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:42 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotahavit
as a carpenter working for plantation homes on the gold coast i resent the comment of worst rates worst tradies .there are a number of tradies who have been used by plantation who have done one job and asked to leave , this is quite common at present due to the lack of qualified tradespeople.on the whole plantation do turn out a nice home. its not down to which company to use but which tradesman once you have decided on a company try to talk to the supervisor who will be doing your home and politely mention handover.com these are a company that will come in and inspect your new home prior to handover this tends to give a little pick me up to a supervisor
You've just agreed with me mate...Quote.... "there are a number of tradies who have been used by plantation who have done one job and asked to leave"..I'm just glad that "one job" wasn't my dream home.

As for handover.com..bollocks..buy the time they get there its too late..just another money making idea..the building game is full of em
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

gotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to allgotahavit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
You've just agreed with me mate...Quote.... "there are a number of tradies who have been used by plantation who have done one job and asked to leave"..I'm just glad that "one job" wasn't my dream home.

As for handover.com..bollocks..buy the time they get there its too late..just another money making idea..the building game is full of em
i said i resent the comment worst rates worst trades ,there are a number of us who have worked for plantation for a while doing a good job so the comment is bullshit , as for handover.com if you call them in on time ie to do there inspection prior to final handover and yes this can be done then any faults can be detected before you move in
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:40 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotahavit
i said i resent the comment worst rates worst trades ,there are a number of us who have worked for plantation for a while doing a good job so the comment is bullshit , as for handover.com if you call them in on time ie to do there inspection prior to final handover and yes this can be done then any faults can be detected before you move in
Simple really..pick a good builder with a solid reputation and with no previous stuff ups,a couple of examples....things like removing every other stud after the building inspection...watered down paint..things like this handover.com wont find.

But i still stand by my comment..you pay peanuts,you get monkeys
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me laugh.

The tradies amongst us, will probably be scoffing at some of the statements on here.

Most tradies, work for 1 perhaps 2 builders. They work at specific rates , that the TRADIES have set, and are happy with.

Coral Homes are like asking for Meccano and getting lego. Still good product but not really what you wanted.

Soon as you move toa vloume house builder, then there are always gonna be hiccups.

In my experience, the shit starts at the top.. and that comes down to SUPERVISION.

Plantation, albeit we built with them, are too stretched on site supervision, and the 3 supervisors im aware of struggle.

I think a KEY area most people are overlooking is the 2 definitions of house builder and house building... a lot of ppl, poss 75%+ are going land and house, when in reality, Plantation Metricon Perry Coral etc etc inc Gardner , will build on your OWN pre purchased land. But due to the sheer logistics of travel in and around Brizzy.. and ppl not all building next to each other and in chronological order, leads to issues.

One builder we work for, currently has 7 sites on the go, with a total of about 100-150 house at all various stages of construction. Furthest North is MorayField, furthest South is Waterford... with ONE supervisor, .. Mark runs around like a blue arsed fly all week, clocking up about 3,000 klm, and visits every site every day !! some feat !

Plantation from experience lack in this area, and at one point our Supervisor wasnt seen on site for 3 weeks.

He later said he had been, but real early . lol I said yer sure, fgs we live next to the site, and I can categorically state he wasnt on site for 3 weeks..

In hindsight, I wouldnt have the house I have now, had we not been so vigilant, and being able to bully the builder.

Ste
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:52 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbex85
G.J.Gardner Homes are great! My parents are building 2 investment props at the moment and have been impressed with them. They have also recently bought some more land and have placed an order for another 2 with G.J Gardner. The designs that G.J had done were good but they wanted to change it a lot to suit what they wanted. No problems at all. G.J paid for an architect and started from scratch at no extra cost! Fantastic company to deal with and outstanding build quality.

Hotondo homes are also pretty good. PM me if you want to know who to speak to and the contact no.s etc

Plantation are very good but this makes them EXTREMELY BUSY! due to the work load they are maybe rushing some jobs which obviously results in mistakes. I would have to say that plantation has to be one of the most popular builders here on the sunny coast
just remember. you get nothing for free in this life. there are always costs and they are always passed onto the customer. to think otherwise would be foolish.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:00 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
just remember. you get nothing for free in this life. there are always costs and they are always passed onto the customer. to think otherwise would be foolish.
Not strictly true.

Some builders will absorb some onerous costs, and unseen charges, I agree its not the rule, but Plantation, didnt charge me 1 cent extra over the agreed price some 10 months previous.

On a different vein, we engaged a sparky to run underground 3 phase, up the hill from rd to house, about 200m His initial quotation ( marked QUOTATION and not ESTIMATE ! ) for the legal minded amongst us... was for , example $2k
Having been given the go-ahead, he did the work, and presented me with his final bill. $2,480.00

I told him to swivel.

He said, no mate in QLD we are allowed to adjust the prices based on raw material supply and the levies on copper have increased.

I mentioned the old phrase, TUFF SHIT.

He threatened to sue, I said be my guest, I will counter sue you for falsely obtaining work ! I will also contact the electrical and electricians association ( would have to have foned a mate at Ideal Electric lol )

We settled on $2,200.00 WHich I was so pissed at doing. But ... ffs lifes to short, I did mention he had left a Makita Drill here ( cordless 18v ) that I would be selling it to Cash COnvertors for the $200 he thieved from me !

grrrr

Ste ( with a nice new Makita Drill )
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:26 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Not strictly true.

Some builders will absorb some onerous costs, and unseen charges, I agree its not the rule, but Plantation, didnt charge me 1 cent extra over the agreed price some 10 months previous.

On a different vein, we engaged a sparky to run underground 3 phase, up the hill from rd to house, about 200m His initial quotation ( marked QUOTATION and not ESTIMATE ! ) for the legal minded amongst us... was for , example $2k
Having been given the go-ahead, he did the work, and presented me with his final bill. $2,480.00

I told him to swivel.

He said, no mate in QLD we are allowed to adjust the prices based on raw material supply and the levies on copper have increased.

I mentioned the old phrase, TUFF SHIT.

He threatened to sue, I said be my guest, I will counter sue you for falsely obtaining work ! I will also contact the electrical and electricians association ( would have to have foned a mate at Ideal Electric lol )

We settled on $2,200.00 WHich I was so pissed at doing. But ... ffs lifes to short, I did mention he had left a Makita Drill here ( cordless 18v ) that I would be selling it to Cash COnvertors for the $200 he thieved from me !

grrrr

Ste ( with a nice new Makita Drill )
your in the game ste. believe me builders have seen all the "unseen charges before". why would they charge you extra if you had a contract? they would have already marked up every cost to them allowing for price increases in materials which generally happen at the same time every year. that price for your power wouldnt even cover the cable cost up here in cairns.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by youngy73
your in the game ste. believe me builders have seen all the "unseen charges before". why would they charge you extra if you had a contract? they would have already marked up every cost to them allowing for price increases in materials which generally happen at the same time every year. that price for your power wouldnt even cover the cable cost up here in cairns.
Yer think it was more like 4k but couldnt remmeber Debs would relate actual costs but..., Debs has fell out with me, cos .. well..

when she said dont get me anything for xmas... i believed her !!

How Stucking FUpid am I !!!! SO now ive gotta go frigging shopping tomorrow now !!!

------------

Regards Costs.

Rock is the most unpredictable variant down our way, and again can be factored in as a contingency.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

down under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nice

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Yer think it was more like 4k but couldnt remmeber Debs would relate actual costs but..., Debs has fell out with me, cos .. well..

when she said dont get me anything for xmas... i believed her !!

How Stucking FUpid am I !!!! SO now ive gotta go frigging shopping tomorrow now !!!

------------

Regards Costs.

Rock is the most unpredictable variant down our way, and again can be factored in as a contingency.
go tonight, shops open till midnight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.