Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:24 am
Just Joined

AnneLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

We are hoping to move out to Melbourne sometime between 15-20th of September, we'd like to move to the CBD area for the first month or so. I feel really worried having read some horror stories of people being ripped off with the rental market, so wondered if anyone could give some advice on who is good to use for securing an apartment for us whilst we are still in the UK.

Thanks for any advice
Anne
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:33 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

Good luck with your planning and move : )

As there are so many people looking to rent apartments, the agents generally don't help you to find what you want, so you will have to do the donkey work yourself. Rather than picking an agent you want to use, best to pick a place where you want to live ....

Most apartments are advertised on the "domain" and "realestate" websites. You can sign up for daily alerts, so that will give you some idea of what you can get for your money and where.

Any reputable agent should refuse to rent you an apartment that you have not viewed, so I would suggest not even trying to secure you before you get here, as that's almost guaranteed to end badly!

You could however come up with a plan of action for Rental Inspections that you will attend when you get here.

I similarly stayed in serviced apartments in the CBD for the first 4 weeks, and secured a rental that I loved within the 4 weeks, and I know many people who did the same. Best of luck
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:53 am
Just Joined

AnneLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

Hi, thanks for the advice, did you secure your serviced apartment before you got to Melbourne? We just want to feel a bit secure by having somewhere to stay sorted out before we leave the UK.
thanks
Anne
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 6:24 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-au; HTC_A3335 V1.21.841.3 Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yes. There are chains of serviced apartments that are adequate for short stays such as Punthill and Quest. I stayed in punthill little bourke st which was perfect for me. Small space, but adequate .. some noise at night due nearby restaurants emptying bottles into bottle bins .. but got used to that pretty quick .. but always worth buying ear plugs !
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:20 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good Rental Agent in Melbourne

For accomodation on arrival there are a number of sites worth looking at:

www.stayz.com.au

This is mainly holiday lets, but they have thousands listed. If you are looking for 3-4 weeks (which is normally recommended) then prices are normally negotiable. 99% trustworthy due to stringent checks for all rental properties.

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

Kate (site owner) Specializes in accomodation for new arrivals. Lots of experience, therefore can oalso offer plenty of advice. 100% trustworthy.

www.lastminute.com.au

sometimes has deals available.

www.gumtree.com.au

I would personally be alittle wary here, but none the less worth checking out.

hope this helps.

Paul.