Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend any books

Can anyone recommend any books

Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Can anyone recommend any books

Hello all , is there any good / must read books on the subject of heading out to Australia ?

seen a few at Amazon but just wondered if there is anything that can be recommended

Thanks
S&R
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice
Default Re: Can anyone recommend any books

Hi,

I have recommended these books before to someone else. Both are good reads with useful tips! (Hope the link works)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=books
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Thankyou , thats the 2 i had my eye on at Amazon .

regards ,
S&R
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
Hello all , is there any good / must read books on the subject of heading out to Australia ?

seen a few at Amazon but just wondered if there is anything that can be recommended

Thanks
S&R
Living and working in australia
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

good enough for me ... have ordered .

Thanks ppl

S&R
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Happy reading!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

The Secret River and Maestro. Two excellent Australian novels. So fun to read!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:01 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Living and working in Australia by David Hampshire is a good read and full of information.
I bought it from WHSmith and definitely recommend it.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Living and working in Australia by David Hampshire is a good read and full of information.
I bought it from WHSmith and definitely recommend it.
Yup, I'd back that too....
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by suzimc
Yup, I'd back that too....
have ordered it
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
have ordered it
I had that book and it is good.

I would also recommend that you use the websites/forums as one of the best sources of info.

The book will give you all the processes, steps to do something, things to remember, bodies to contact etc. What it lacks is that up to date and localised information. Use the websites and forums like this one for that.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coulterk

I would also recommend that you use the websites/forums as one of the best sources of info.

The book will give you all the processes, steps to do something, things to remember, bodies to contact etc. What it lacks is that up to date and localised information. Use the websites and forums like this one for that.

Definitely agree with that. It's nice to sit down with the book and have a good read. Also to use it as a quick resource.
The forum however gives you people's opinions and experiences and as you say - up to date info.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Coulterk

Yes thats certainly what we shall be doing , nice to have a book but as you say they are out of date but its still a good reference .

as for this forum .... can't stay away !
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a more light hearted read, but full of info of good places to visit, try Bill Bryson's 'Down Under'. Very amusing about his journey around Australia. I've marked so many of the pages as places we must see.

Happy reading
AJ