Can anyone recomend where to look for work while visiting Oz

Can anyone recomend where to look for work while visiting Oz

Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

shazpaul35 will become famous soon enough
Question Coming to OZ for a rece, need advice on looking for jobs

Hi,
Can you help,

Can anyone recomend, a job centre / recruitment agency to visit. or is there a good day to look in the papers.

We are coming out to Oz to make sure it is right for us.

We will be visiting Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne, and have 6 days in each city, so time is a bit short,

Where we decide to live will depend on where work is available. I am a CNC Machinist / Toolmaker.

It would be great to speak to someone first hand to make sure that work is there for me when we come to stay for good, as this is one of our biggest worries about emigrating.

The areas we are concentrating on are, Perth - All over (Still not decided where to look) Adelaide - Heading south, Maslin beach, Christies beach, Edwardstown sort of area, Melbourne - Again south heading towards mornington perninsular, or any similar on Geelong as a possibility.

Many thanks for any help, Paul & Sharon
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Default Can anyone recomend where to look for work while visiting Oz

Hi,
Can you help,

Can anyone recomend, a job centre / recruitment agency to visit. or is there a good day to look in the papers.

We are coming out to Oz to make sure it is right for us.

We will be visiting Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne, and have 6 days in each city, so time is a bit short,

Where we decide to live will depend on where work is available. I am a CNC Machinist / Toolmaker.

It would be great to speak to someone first hand to make sure that work is there for me when we come to stay for good, as this is one of our biggest worries about emigrating.

The areas we are concentrating on are, Perth - All over (Still not decided where to look) Adelaide - Heading south, Maslin beach, Christies beach, Edwardstown sort of area, Melbourne - Again south heading towards mornington perninsular, or any similar on Geelong as a possibility.

Many thanks for any help, Paul & Sharon
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

ykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can anyone recomend where to look for work while visiting Oz

Hey there,

For Perth - the majority of the recruitment offices are on St. Georges Terraces from what I can gather which is in the CBD.

Personally I would start on the internet - www.seek.com.au serves up jobs for all of Oz.

Sat and Wed West Australian newspaper is a good one also.

Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazpaul35
I reckon your best bet is to get yourself a copy of the yellow pages and work your way through a few of the companies that work in that area. Drive round there, knock on the door, ask to speak to the boss/supervisor, tell them your situation and ask them what the job situation is. I wouldn't go as far as actually asking for a job, but just tell them you're out checking things out and want to find out if there's good prospects in that area. You never know, they might turn round and say, 'Funnily enough we have a vacancy - when can you get here?'. Generally speaking the agencies won't do much for you until you're actually in the country, visa in hand, and ready to start working - though they might be able to offer general information on how much work there is about.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

For Adelaide try these guys: Hudson Trade & Industrial, Level 1, 151 Henley Beach Road, Mile End 5031

Although, you'll find most of this kind of job advertised in the paper on Saturday.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:46 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coming to OZ for a rece, need advice on looking for jobs

you've got so may what if's it is difficult to know where to start
i mean Oz yes or no, then which city...
i don't know what the job market is like for your career or those areas sorry but have you taken a look at some of the online job websites?
www.seek.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.jobserve.com.au
www.jobsearch.gov.au

best of luck, hope someone here can give you something more specific

btw, i've merged your threads as they were asking exactly the same thing, that's why my response says about hoping for you to get something more specific... i see you already had on this other thread and there was me thinking you'd got no replies...

Last edited by gedge; Jul 12th 2007 at 3:05 am. Reason: btw
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:52 am
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

I did something similar back in October 05 with the wife similar to what you are planning. In my experience providing you are coming over imminently you will find a lot of help. You obviously will find a few agancies out there who will not entertain you until you are actually here.

I would recommend you contact the following here in Melbourne:

Command Recruitment (Lee Kemp) - +613 9621 3399
Infinity Recruitment (Beau Duncan) - +613 8614 3899

These guys were sympathetic and very helpful. They organised a few interviews during my time whilst I was visiting and went back to the UK with a few job offers and was up to me which one I accepted.

If you need any help drop me a personal email and I will see what I can do to aid.

Good luck
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Coming to OZ for a rece, need advice on looking for jobs

Originally Posted by gedge
you've got so may what if's it is difficult to know where to start
i mean Oz yes or no, then which city...
i don't know what the job market is like for your career or those areas sorry but have you taken a look at some of the online job websites?
www.seek.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au
www.careerone.com.au
www.jobserve.com.au
www.jobsearch.gov.au

best of luck, hope someone here can give you something more specific

btw, i've merged your threads as they were asking exactly the same thing, that's why my response says about hoping for you to get something more specific... i see you already had on this other thread and there was me thinking you'd got no replies...
Many thanks for 'merging' my threads, I put it on a second time because i thought i put it the wrong place to start with, Thanks again, Paul
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:30 am
Just Joined

So far all sounding very helpful,
I may be getting a plan together,
Any more suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far.
Paul
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:32 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

seek.com.au