Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer any advice ???

Wikiposts

Can anyone offer any advice ???

Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice ???

JAJ could you please explain how my Australian son, born in1976, applied for a British passport in 1991 and got it without having to apply for citizenship. All we did was fill in the passport application.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
JAJ could you please explain how my Australian son, born in1976, applied for a British passport in 1991 and got it without having to apply for citizenship. All we did was fill in the passport application.

Did he have a UK born or naturalised father (who was married to his mother)?

Jeremy
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did he have a UK born or naturalised father (who was married to his mother)?

Jeremy
Yes, both parents born and married in Scotland.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

buggsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fremantleraider
I was in the same boat, i was born in Oz in '72 and moved back to Uk when i was 2 months old, i only applied for an oz passport in October last year and i got one no probs.
As long as she holds an Oz birth cert she will be fine for gewtting a passport!

FremantleRaider
Its all sounding pretty positive then!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Pants is on a distinguished road

My parents moved to WA with me, then about 2 years old. They returned after 6 years with me.

Would this count for anything in relation to my applying to move back? I have enough points, about 130, but due to my profession, a solicitor, I have to requalify first which is a drag and I can't be bothered if I could find another option to apply?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Yes, both parents born and married in Scotland.
That explains it then.

Because he had a UK born father married to his mother, then he automatically acquired British citizenship at birth (or citizenship of the UK and Colonies as it was called then) and never had to apply for British citizenship.

Hence no impact on his Australian citizenship when he got a passport as he was already British.

Things have become more flexible with the UK since 1976, mothers can now pass on their citizenship if they are UK born or naturalised. As can unmarried fathers provided you make an application for the child to be registered as British before it's 18.

Jeremy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
My parents moved to WA with me, then about 2 years old. They returned after 6 years with me.

Would this count for anything in relation to my applying to move back? I have enough points, about 130, but due to my profession, a solicitor, I have to requalify first which is a drag and I can't be bothered if I could find another option to apply?
Take a look at the Former Resident visa under Special Migration, but I think you'll find DIMIA generally expect you to have had 9 years in Australia before age 18 (and be under 45).

Jeremy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

buggsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by buggsbunny
Its all sounding pretty positive then!
The birth certificate form is all sent off. Now the wait ......
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Because he had a UK born father married to his mother, then he automatically acquired British citizenship at birth (or citizenship of the UK and Colonies as it was called then) and never had to apply for British citizenship.

Hence no impact on his Australian citizenship when he got a passport as he was already British.

Thanks for that Jeremy.