Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer any advice ???

Wikiposts

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

buggsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone offer any advice ???

We are considering going to Aus and looking into possibilities.
My wife was born in Australia in 1972 and moved here when she was 2. She has an Aus birth certificate but never had her own passport. Some friends who moved over there suggested she might be able to apply for something or other on those grounds and then in due course apply for our 20mth daughter, then me on a spouse's visa.
I dont have a clue about any of this so any advice of where to start would be bril.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can anyone offer any advice ???

Originally Posted by buggsbunny
My wife was born in Australia in 1972 and moved here when she was 2. She has an Aus birth certificate but never had her own passport. Some friends who moved over there suggested she might be able to apply for something or other on those grounds and then in due course apply for our 20mth daughter, then me on a spouse's visa.
I dont have a clue about any of this so any advice of where to start would be bril.
Does this help ?
How do I know if I'm an Australian citizen?

The most common way to become a citizen is by being born in Australia with at least one parent who is either an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.

The second most common way is by grant, and this is the way most people who migrate to Australia become citizens.
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/why.htm#how

Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Does this help ?
Can she apply for an Aussie passport? Her real dad is an Aussie but he was not a nice man so does not want any to go down any road that would mean contact with him. Her mum was born in England but went to Aus then came back again.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:00 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My father was born in Aus but moved to England when he was 7 - he never had an Australian passport either. He qualified for citizenship without too many issues and has now retired there.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can she apply for an Aussie passport? Her real dad is an Aussie but he was not a nice man so does not want any to go down any road that would mean contact with him. Her mum was born in England but went to Aus then came back again.
If she has an Aussie birth certificate, she can apply for a passport no problem. As she was born there, you can get citizenship by descent for your daughter no problem. Should all come through quite quickly.

http://www.australia.org.uk/ausuk/html/index.html

You get the forms sent to you and will have to go to AHC to put in the passport request - only open from 9:30 to 11:30 I think.

Your daughter's citizenship can be done by post, but again you will have to go up to put in passport request.

Your spouse visa will be straightforward and can be done by post.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:04 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

I was born in Australia in 1971 and have an Aussie birth certificate and came to the uk when I was 4. I have duel citizenship due to being born in Oz and having an English mother. We have successfully applied for a spouse visa for my hubby.

I applied for my Australian Citizen Certificate and then we applied for my hubby's spouse visa. This was all very easy and straighforward. The only problem we had with the visa application was regarding my hubby's ex-wife causing problems over their daughter's medical.

My son (who is 2) will have duel citizenship also due to having an Aussie mother and being born in the Uk and once I get to Oz I will apply for his citizenship by descent. You can apply for this before you go to Oz and then your daughter wouldn't have to be included on your spouse visa application.

You will need to start by looking up the info about spouse visas on www.immi.gov.au. The spouse needs a police check and medicals (plus all dependant children) to pass the visa criteria.

If you need any further info about all this, send me a pm coz I have loads of info on all this - having gone through the whole process!

Good luck!

Shell
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:50 am
ABCDiamond

From what I have seen, and the other replies, it would look like she can.

Has she become a British citizen though, and therefore renounced Australian citizenship ? But even if she has, I think I have read somewhere that she can get it back again now that the rules have changed.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on

Old Jan 29th 2005, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Has she become a British citizen though, and therefore renounced Australian citizenship ? But even if she has, I think I have read somewhere that she can get it back again now that the rules have changed.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on
Hit a slight problem - my wife's birth certificate is only an extract cetificate so I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the full one.
I've emailed the "births , deaths and marrages" place in NSW for help.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:18 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hit a slight problem - my wife's birth certificate is only an extract cetificate so I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the full one.
I've emailed the "births , deaths and marrages" place in NSW for help.

I had to do the same to get my hubby's Australian birth cert, it was only about $20 and they posted to the UK, this was WA though so it might be a little different but should be OK.

Kala
Old Jan 29th 2005, 9:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Never eat yellow snow
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road

Yes you can apply for an Ozzie passport as long as you have the Ozzie birth certificate. You can do it online by going on the australia house web site, I cannot remember the exact site, but you fill in the paper work on line and just put on your birth certificate number. It was very easy and did not take long to get sorted
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi there,

I was born in Australia in 1971 and have an Aussie birth certificate and came to the uk when I was 4. I have duel citizenship due to being born in Oz and having an English mother. We have successfully applied for a spouse visa for my hubby.
Out of interest - how did you get your British citizenship?

When you were born a British mother did not automatically give British citizenship, so you must have a Certificate of Naturalisation or Registration from the UK - otherwise you may not be British.

My son (who is 2) will have duel citizenship also due to having an Aussie mother and being born in the Uk and once I get to Oz I will apply for his citizenship by descent. You can apply for this before you go to Oz and then your daughter wouldn't have to be included on your spouse visa application.
Is there a reason you haven't got his Australian citizenship now, again out of interest?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 30th 2005 at 3:48 am.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's correct - if she has a Certificate of Registration or Naturalisation from the UK, it's important to check the date on the certificate and one's age at the time. Ideally one should be aged under 18 at the time *or* the certificate is dated 4th April 2002 or later.

It's also important to know if a parent lost Australian citizenship the same way before one turned 18.

British citizenship was not automatically given on the basis of a British born mother for those born before 1983.

If she hasn't got British citizenship (she may just have Right of Abode), she ought now to apply for naturalisation before leaving the UK.

Jeremy
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:02 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest - how did you get your British citizenship?

When you were born a British mother did not automatically give British citizenship, so you must have a Certificate of Naturalisation or Registration from the UK - otherwise you may not be British.

Is there a reason you haven't got his Australian citizenship now, again out of interest?

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

How are you????

My mother got married to a UK citizen when I was 6yrs old and he then adopted me a year later. The Home Office then confirmed in writing that I am 'a citizen of the United Kingdom & Colonies by adoption under section 19(1) of the Adoption Act 1958, and consequently a British Citizen.'

This also did not affect my Aussie Citizenship and therefore, I have duel Citizenship. So my hubby was able to apply for a spouse visa.

I will apply for my son's Aussie Citizenship by descent when we get to Oz as it will be one less thing to do/worry about doing now before we leave.

Also, it means my son can get the extra luggage allowance when we fly - very handy!!!

Shell
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:17 am
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

I was in the same boat, i was born in Oz in '72 and moved back to Uk when i was 2 months old, i only applied for an oz passport in October last year and i got one no probs.
As long as she holds an Oz birth cert she will be fine for gewtting a passport!

FremantleRaider

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.