Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer advice please

Can anyone offer advice please

Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Poppy 49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can anyone offer advice please

I lived in Oz from 1970 - 1975 where my son was born. He came back to Oz last August with his family and is settling nicely. I only have one remaining close relative in the UK now - a brother who i very rarely see - anyway - I've just returned from a 1 week holiday visiting him and his family ( telling him not to be too proud to return to the uk if he wanted to) and i've decided to return to Oz and live with them - I'm 55 - an electrician by trade and need help with the type of visa to apply for and the best method of going about it
- thanks for taking the time to read this

Les
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:03 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone offer advice please

Originally Posted by Poppy 49
I lived in Oz from 1970 - 1975 where my son was born. He came back to Oz last August with his family and is settling nicely. I only have one remaining close relative in the UK now - a brother who i very rarely see - anyway - I've just returned from a 1 week holiday visiting him and his family ( telling him not to be too proud to return to the uk if he wanted to) and i've decided to return to Oz and live with them - I'm 55 - an electrician by trade and need help with the type of visa to apply for and the best method of going about it

Les

Les,
Try posting this on the immigration forum,they maybe able to offer a solution to this,some emigration agents post there & they could advise on what visa maybe best.

Goodluck,
Donna.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:29 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Les
hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are definatetly to old for any kind of skills visa...can you invest in a business maybe for a business visa...?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:34 pm
blossom

If you lived there in the 70's, do you not already hold a PR visa?

Blossom

Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Les
Ask on the immigration forum, but if you have only one or two children, the Contributory Parent visa sounds like the most suitable option.

There is going to be a complication with the Assurance of Support as he needs to be there for 2 years to act as an assurer - there is a temporary Contributory Parent visa that might act as an interim solution but this is complex and you'd need professional advice before contemplating it.

If you have substantial means, then a Retirement visa might give a temporary solution (this closes to new applicants on 1 July).

As you're probably aware by now, it would have been a lot easier had you taken Australian citizenship when you lived in Australia.

I presume your son has already registered his UK born children as Australian citizens by descent?

Jeremy
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blossom
If you lived there in the 70's, do you not already hold a PR visa?
It will have long expired by now unless he's been visiting Australian frequently. Some old rules allowed people to keep PR so long as they visited once every three years.

But PRs are expected to live in Australia and if you don't your PR is at risk. The *only* way to really secure your status in Australia is to become an Australian citizen.

Jeremy
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:45 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by JAJ
It will have long expired by now unless he's been visiting Australian frequently. Some old rules allowed people to keep PR so long as they visited once every three years.

But PRs are expected to live in Australia and if you don't your PR is at risk. The *only* way to really secure your status in Australia is to become an Australian citizen.

Jeremy
Interesting! Thank goodness we took out citizenship after two years.

Blossom

Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by blossom
Interesting! Thank goodness we took out citizenship after two years.

Blossom
There are literally thousands of British people who used to be PRs in Australia, never thought about this before leaving (or believed urban myths like the one about having to give up British citizenship), and are now well and truly stuck in the UK.

The Contributory Parent visa may offer the original poster a solution (if and when the requirements are met), but it won't be cheap.

Jeremy