Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can anyone help us

can anyone help us

Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

jancullen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anyone help us

my husband and i would like to live and work in australia does anyone know of a company thats sponsors commercial industrial painters/decorators. We have tried to contact people ourselves but never get replies.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone help us

Hi and Welcome to BE.

I am moving this to the Oz forum where you'll hopefully get some knowledgeable replies.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

OK, firstly, have you looked to see if your occupation is on the skilled list? If it isn't, then you won't stand much of a chance of getting a sponsor I'm afraid.

Go to the immigration and citizenship area of BE and have a read of some of the posts there - they may have some answers for you.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jun 21st 2013 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick check around, and interior decorator is on schedule 2 (ANZSCO 399912) which means that you would need sponsorship. It is also on South Australias state list, so you could apply for state sponsorship and try and find a job after obtaining a visa. You would have to do the IELTS test, as they require 6.5 or better (I haven't checked any other state lists, but you may want to). The assessing body for interior decorators is Vetassess - it's listed in group C as professional / general occupation (http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...ifications.cfm)

Hope that helps
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I did a quick check around, and interior decorator is on schedule 2 (ANZSCO 399912) which means that you would need sponsorship. It is also on South Australias state list, so you could apply for state sponsorship and try and find a job after obtaining a visa. You would have to do the IELTS test, as they require 6.5 or better (I haven't checked any other state lists, but you may want to). The assessing body for interior decorators is Vetassess - it's listed in group C as professional / general occupation (http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...ifications.cfm)

Hope that helps
I don't think interior decorator is the same thing as a painter/decorator. Painter/decorator is someone who comes in with a paintbrush & tin of paint to make your walls a different colour. http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...-and-Decorator

An interior decorator is someone who sits down with clients and helps them decide on what colour to paint - along with what furniture, etc. http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...rior-Decorator
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't think interior decorator is the same thing as a painter/decorator. Painter/decorator is someone who comes in with a paintbrush & tin of paint to make your walls a different colour. http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...-and-Decorator

An interior decorator is someone who sits down with clients and helps them decide on what colour to paint - along with what furniture, etc. http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...rior-Decorator
Oh - I say interior designer on the list as well as interior decorator and assumed the first did the design and specs, and the second did the work. Sorry to OP, should not have made assumptions

Edit - just checked again and painting trades worker, 332211 is on schedule 1 so available for skilled independent visa

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jun 22nd 2013 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancullen1
my husband and i would like to live and work in australia does anyone know of a company thats sponsors commercial industrial painters/decorators. We have tried to contact people ourselves but never get replies.
You are not taking the right approach. It is incredibly difficult to find employer sponsors but fortunately it is not required for the skilled migrant route, would suggest you look into this, the 189 or 190 visa.