Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help regarding renting in Perth.

Can anyone help regarding renting in Perth.

Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Can anyone help regarding renting in Perth.

We are moving to Perth in Aug/Sept of this year. Can anyone advise or give us tips on renting there. We are looking in and around Wembley.

We have read on this site that going into short term holiday rental (2 to 3 weeks)is the best option. Is this a long enough time scale to find a more permanent rental accommodation?

We are worried that having looked on real estate.com there does not seem to be an abundance of property in this area. Should we not just rely on the real estate.com site, as we assumed the majority of properties could be found here? Are the papers likely to have that many more? Are properties, renting or even buying being snapped up so quickly that they don't even get advertised? Are renting agents reliable, will they ring you up to say they have something suitable?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can anyone help regarding renting in Perth.

I dont know about Wembley, but rentals all over Perth are pretty hard to get at the moment, I dont rent myself but a house over the road is rented and the day they had the inspection for new 'rentees' I reckon there must have been 30 people turned up. I doubt any agent would call you back as they probably dont need to waste their phone calls they have that many people wanting to rent.
But Im sorry to say I dont know where to direct you to other than the real estate agents websites or The West Australian paper
Best of luck
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:08 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Property to let is in short supply in Perth at the moment. You may even want to consider approaching a short term let and see if you can negotiate a longer period at a lesser rate.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:33 pm
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paul & June
We are moving to Perth in Aug/Sept of this year. Can anyone advise or give us tips on renting there. We are looking in and around Wembley.

We have read on this site that going into short term holiday rental (2 to 3 weeks)is the best option. Is this a long enough time scale to find a more permanent rental accommodation?

We are worried that having looked on real estate.com there does not seem to be an abundance of property in this area. Should we not just rely on the real estate.com site, as we assumed the majority of properties could be found here? Are the papers likely to have that many more? Are properties, renting or even buying being snapped up so quickly that they don't even get advertised? Are renting agents reliable, will they ring you up to say they have something suitable?
Hi Guys, we are in Rockingham, south of Perth, rentals are becoming harder to find, and I think the prices of longer unfurnished rentals are rising to a point where shorter fully furnished ones are a good option..Also you can negotiate the price down on a short stay place if you stay over a month, well that is how we work anyway. Good luck, Suzette and Will.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
Hi Guys, we are in Rockingham, south of Perth, rentals are becoming harder to find, and I think the prices of longer unfurnished rentals are rising to a point where shorter fully furnished ones are a good option..Also you can negotiate the price down on a short stay place if you stay over a month, well that is how we work anyway. Good luck, Suzette and Will.
would be interested to know about the mandurah area as there seems to be loads but like i have gathered not as many as you think! ? ANY BODY GOT ANY INFO ?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Well i'm going out next week - hoping to hear on a rental tomorrow that my partner has viewed and filled in all paperwork for.

I wonder if there is a call for some sort of liason/agency/type service here ?
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Alfano's is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can anyone help regarding renting in Perth.

We were lucky when we first arrived in Perth and stayed with some friends. Your right a good rental is hard to find, we looked at some right dumps and there were loads of people scrambling for them.

My advise would be holiday let for 3wks or so, and look in the paper for private rentals once your here. Thats what worked for us, we are in a great place in Connolly.

Good luck

Leeane
Old Apr 8th 2007, 4:39 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June
We are moving to Perth in Aug/Sept of this year. Can anyone advise or give us tips on renting there.
In our experience here in Perth......

You have to act VERY fast when you see a property!
Get your references in place, all photo copied and ready to go. Also photo copies of passport, marriage certificates and visa's etc etc.

Get the application forms from the various rental agents and pre fill them in (as much as possible). That way you will get the application in faster.

You have to put one weeks rent "CASH" in with the application to show you are serious and not putting in multiple applications. If not succesful, you'll get the money back.

You should dress up smart and go meet the property managers and show them that you are a good choice for one of their properties.

Many (nearly all) are pet free.

We used
www.harber.com.au
www.daveyrealestate.com.au
www.reiwa.com.au
www.domain.com.au

Due to the high volume of people arriving in Perth, the papers have had many stories of large numbers of people turning up to view properties when they become available. We visted the rental agents (as described above) and saw our property just as it became available and viewed it the same day (Sunday), before anyone else.
We put cash in with the application and it was submitted 1st thing Monday. By lunchtime my manager recieved phone calls to reference me and we knew things were moving.
By 3.00pm on the Monday we had the property. Yey!

Neil.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

just a Q how the hell are you supposed to have references regarding rentals in a country where most people haven't had a rental there? or owned their own home in uk or a council property? would character refs not do?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:27 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam mick kurt
just a Q how the hell are you supposed to have references regarding rentals in a country where most people haven't had a rental there? or owned their own home in uk or a council property? would character refs not do?
We used the person who short term rented to us and our estate agents in the Uk
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

When you arrive go around every single agent to get their rental lists.

Drive by any you fancy, go back to the agent and ask to view it. Be prepared to view it with other people.

If you like it, fill in the application form, deposit, give them a copy of your bank statement and offer to pay 3/6 months rent up front.

Only problem you may have is that agents can take up to a week to get back to you. So you can't really put in another application because is you pull out, you'll lose your deposit.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
In our experience here in Perth......

You have to act VERY fast when you see a property!
Get your references in place, all photo copied and ready to go. Also photo copies of passport, marriage certificates and visa's etc etc.

Get the application forms from the various rental agents and pre fill them in (as much as possible). That way you will get the application in faster.

You have to put one weeks rent "CASH" in with the application to show you are serious and not putting in multiple applications. If not succesful, you'll get the money back.

You should dress up smart and go meet the property managers and show them that you are a good choice for one of their properties.

Many (nearly all) are pet free.

We used
www.harber.com.au
www.daveyrealestate.com.au
www.reiwa.com.au
www.domain.com.au

Due to the high volume of people arriving in Perth, the papers have had many stories of large numbers of people turning up to view properties when they become available. We visted the rental agents (as described above) and saw our property just as it became available and viewed it the same day (Sunday), before anyone else.
We put cash in with the application and it was submitted 1st thing Monday. By lunchtime my manager recieved phone calls to reference me and we knew things were moving.
By 3.00pm on the Monday we had the property. Yey!

Neil.
Good Advice.

This was our approach in securing a place in Shenton Park. Saw it on REIWA/Real Estate 7.00 Saturday Morning, drove by at 8.00. Woke up the Real estate agent (!) at 8.30 to get them to show us first. Got first appointment 9.00 Monday, gave in application at 10.30 and by 12.30 we had got the nod. I would additionally advise the OP to sign up for daily email updates on REIWA and Real Estate a couple of weeks before they leave, to see what is renting and what isn't. Some houses are overpriced and/or horrible (especially in Wembley and Floreat) and will never rent =e except to the truly desperate.

Another bit of advice it to make sure your "holiday" rental is close by. We started out in Scarborough but quickly moved to the Quest in Subiaco. We were there a week before we found our first place (in Subiaco).

It is always worth checking out the local supermarket notice boards. The IGA on Cambridge Street has the odd house.

Good Luck

Mark
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:09 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Would anyone know what ID you have to produce for a rental agreement as opposed to what people think they will need?

Our landlord is never in the country long enough to even consider giving us a reference and we didnt use an estate agent.

I can provide character/employment references till they come out of my nose.

Also, we have lived off our overdraft for ages - like alot of Londoners, would providing bank statements to show this hinder us?

Marriage cert and passport???? You seriously need to provide this?

Are there any clear guidelines on what identity is required?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Would anyone know what ID you have to produce for a rental agreement as opposed to what people think they will need?

Our landlord is never in the country long enough to even consider giving us a reference and we didnt use an estate agent.

I can provide character/employment references till they come out of my nose.

Also, we have lived off our overdraft for ages - like alot of Londoners, would providing bank statements to show this hinder us?

Marriage cert and passport???? You seriously need to provide this?

Are there any clear guidelines on what identity is required?
We provided our passports with visa to prove we were here legally, Ontario driver's licence for me, SA one for hub and a couple of pay slips from my job. Lucky I was working when we decided to rent long term
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We provided our passports with visa to prove we were here legally, Ontario driver's licence for me, SA one for hub and a couple of pay slips from my job. Lucky I was working when we decided to rent long term
To be honest Dorothy, Im considering setting up our own 'professional file' so to speak.

It shall be sectioned off into finance, work history/resume/health & dental records/references - professional and character plus accommodation lists for Perth, doctors, dentists, temp agencies and anyone we might have to contact once there. All in one folder.

That kind of thing, so each thing will be to hand when we need it.

I have some good contacts of short term accommodation - for around $420 a week - which is fine and we plan to be either in West Leederville or Subiaco - right in the heart of it all.

As soon as we have the visa (if it ever comes), Abdel will contact his employers in Australia (Compass Group) and see what is what.

Im starting to collate for our file now really.

Although God knows when the visa will come. We have to wait to be recalled for our meds now I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.