Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can anyone help?

can anyone help?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

jude4oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anyone help?

I'm hoping to move out to Perth with my Boyfriend next spring, and already have a nursing job waiting in Fremantle.
The Hospital have offered me a 4 year temporary visa (457) but we were thinking more of permanent residence. Does anyone know how to go about this? Is it advisable to use emigration consultants?
Also, the hospital have told me to start the process of getting my nursing registration organsed but i've noticed that if i don't start using it within 6 months, it devalidates. How long does it normally take to process?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: can anyone help?

Originally Posted by jude4oz
I'm hoping to move out to Perth with my Boyfriend next spring, and already have a nursing job waiting in Fremantle.
The Hospital have offered me a 4 year temporary visa (457) but we were thinking more of permanent residence. Does anyone know how to go about this? Is it advisable to use emigration consultants?
Also, the hospital have told me to start the process of getting my nursing registration organsed but i've noticed that if i don't start using it within 6 months, it devalidates. How long does it normally take to process?
Hi, have you seen the nursing forum - lots of info on there too. If you don't want to go until next spring, why not apply for permanent residency now on a skilled independent visa - as a nurse if you meet the points you're on an occupation in demand and it should go through fairly quickly. That way you get far more entitlements than on a temp visa and you're not stuck on a contract with that hospital should it not turn out to be what you hoped?
As far as I know, WA registration lasts a year - don't know if you can do 3 years at a time also (??), but the annual one expires on your next birth month, not heard of having to start employment to keep it valid.

HB x
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:04 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hi, have you seen the nursing forum - lots of info on there too. If you don't want to go until next spring, why not apply for permanent residency now on a skilled independent visa - as a nurse if you meet the points you're on an occupation in demand and it should go through fairly quickly. That way you get far more entitlements than on a temp visa and you're not stuck on a contract with that hospital should it not turn out to be what you hoped?
As far as I know, WA registration lasts a year - don't know if you can do 3 years at a time also (??), but the annual one expires on your next birth month, not heard of having to start employment to keep it valid.

HB x

hi
dont know any answers for you but will be interested in finding out if you do not commence employement this will de-validate you
amanda
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda76
hi
dont know any answers for you but will be interested in finding out if you do not commence employement this will de-validate you
amanda
It is pretty straightforward to renew your registration.

I have registration in NSW and have renewed it a couple of times from the UK.

If it lapses you are able to renew it easily without any hassle.

BTW you may not be aware but is you register in any state you can then register easily in any other state through the mutual recognition agreement.

If you are a nurse then I would suggest avoiding a 457 visa as PR is just as easy to obtain and far less hassle.

G
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jude4oz
Hi,
Sorry I can't answer your question altough I am a nurse I went for permanent residency, can't you do that?
I didn't know your registration expired after 6 months. I registered with the Queensland nursing council in October and renewed it in June without having worked there yet. They never mentioned anything about a 6 month limit . I would check that.
Good luck,

Tracey.