Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me more info please

Can anyone give me more info please

Old May 18th 2007, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone give me more info please

we had a shipping company over yesterday and hubby decided while the man was here he wants to take my car out to Oz?

Apparently won't cost much more to ship the car out with our belongings but can anyone tell me how we go about taking the car over there, i'm assuming it would have to be valeted and thoroughly cleaned before going in the container and then what do we do the other side. What costs are involved do we need to re register it?

Appreciate any info advice you can give us - by the way hubby's set on taking it so won't be any help saying don't take it unless you're going to tell my hubby it'll cost $15,000 in fees in Oz to collect it.

Jen
Old May 18th 2007, 5:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone give me more info please

Originally Posted by JenJen
we had a shipping company over yesterday and hubby decided while the man was here he wants to take my car out to Oz?

Apparently won't cost much more to ship the car out with our belongings but can anyone tell me how we go about taking the car over there, i'm assuming it would have to be valeted and thoroughly cleaned before going in the container and then what do we do the other side. What costs are involved do we need to re register it?

Appreciate any info advice you can give us - by the way hubby's set on taking it so won't be any help saying don't take it unless you're going to tell my hubby it'll cost $15,000 in fees in Oz to collect it.

Jen

it is exspensive

i looked into taking my beloved suburu imprezza turbo
but after shipping and import taxes it just didint make sense
finacilay that is
cars are so much cheaper over here
Old May 18th 2007, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve`o
it is exspensive

i looked into taking my beloved suburu imprezza turbo
but after shipping and import taxes it just didint make sense
finacilay that is
cars are so much cheaper over here
Well the quote we've had to take all the belongings we want to and the car in the container makes it about £5,000 in shipping. Do you know roughly what the import taxes are ???

Jen
Old May 18th 2007, 5:44 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Well the quote we've had to take all the belongings we want to and the car in the container makes it about £5,000 in shipping. Do you know roughly what the import taxes are ???

Jen
its worked out on the value ( new ) of your vechile and if its a luxury car they go mad with the figures
Old May 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve`o
its worked out on the value ( new ) of your vechile and if its a luxury car they go mad with the figures
It's not a luxury vehicle it's just a Ford Mondeo Zetec 54 reg. But it's a reliable car, accomadates the 3 kids in the back without it looking liek we packed them in lol
All the types of car huby's looked at to have in Oz are all about $15,000 - $20,000 cause he's a fussy arse

Any ideas what we'd have to pay in import tax for it? Any other taxes or charges?
Cause so far hubby is happy with paying £5,000 to get all out stuff and the car over there.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:02 pm
Worongary

It's not a luxury vehicle it's just a Ford Mondeo Zetec 54 reg. But it's a reliable car, accomadates the 3 kids in the back without it looking liek we packed them in lol
All the types of car huby's looked at to have in Oz are all about $15,000 - $20,000 cause he's a fussy arse

Any ideas what we'd have to pay in import tax for it? Any other taxes or charges?
Cause so far hubby is happy with paying £5,000 to get all out stuff and the car over there.
http://rac.com.au/go/motoring/about-...mporting-a-car
Old May 18th 2007, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

cheers muchly
Old May 18th 2007, 6:32 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Jen, you will basically have to buy the car again to ship it. Not only are the import duties and taxes large, but also the car will have to be modified to meet Australian standards before you can drive it there. This may well cost 1000's of $s. For instance, it will have to have bolts fitted for Australian standard car seats. If it is a saloon this will involve removing the back seats. Its a big job.

Also once you have gone through all that, there are two other additional costs. 1 - it will cost more to insure than an Ozzie car as it will be classed as a "grey import". 2 - Its resale value will be lower than the equivalent ozzie vehicle due to being a grey import.

I really wouldnt bother.

Buzzy
Old May 18th 2007, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Jen, you will basically have to buy the car again to ship it. Not only are the import duties and taxes large, but also the car will have to be modified to meet Australian standards before you can drive it there. This may well cost 1000's of $s. For instance, it will have to have bolts fitted for Australian standard car seats. If it is a saloon this will involve removing the back seats. Its a big job.

Also once you have gone through all that, there are two other additional costs. 1 - it will cost more to insure than an Ozzie car as it will be classed as a "grey import". 2 - Its resale value will be lower than the equivalent ozzie vehicle due to being a grey import.

I really wouldnt bother.

Buzzy
I'll pass all this to hubby on Monday when he gets home and see if he still wants to bother to take it then. I jsut thought he'd buy a car over there.
I never even thought he'd want to ship one of the cars over there?

Thanks all. I'll lpass on the info then leave it up to him

Jen