Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me a little advice?

Can anyone give me a little advice?

Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Louise Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can anyone give me a little advice?

I am a wife and mother of a 9 year old daughter. We have just been approved of a sponsored visa and are emigrating to Sydney end of December. We are not bringing any furniture just bringing all keepsakes, daughters toys and clothes as we are just going to buy all new furniture when we arrive. There are alot of things I would like to know for example what kind of household goods are more expensive in australia and if clothing is more expensive, just to give me an idea on anything I need to stock up on. I will just leave it at that for the moment and see what replies I get then I will ask some more questions if people don't mind!!!

I would be very grateful for any replies.

Thank you so much Louise Noble.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone give me a little advice?

I think you will find things much the same or more expensive here. We had to buy a washing machine, that was more expensive and a washer / dryer would have been ridiculously so. Also although you will have an income straight away, I would assume you will need to move GBP over if you are furnishing a house and thus the exchange rate will hit you hard. The advice generally is, if you have stuff in the UK bring it.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:26 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I'm not really sure if household stuff is much more expensive in Australia because we just bought stuff as we needed it and didn't compare prices. I think it depends where you shop, but it's much more normal not to pay the advertised price. Just ask what the best price is and be prepared to negotiate, especially if you're buying more than one thing from a shop.

Clothes, on the other hand do tend to be quite a bit more and I don't think the quality is anywhere near as good. That said my teenage girls love shopping in Australia because they like the style of clothes. I'd buy plenty of things for your daughter and lots of swimmers (even the 'quality' ones in Australia perish very quickly). I bought lots from every sale in the UK before we left and they were all still in very good condition after a year. Underwear too because the decent stuff is expensive and doesn't last as long.

Hope that's a start for you! Have fun
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

As my friend above says- get underwear and swimmers. Books are incredibly expensive here too, and any white goods, but if you are in a rental you will probably only have to get a fridge. There are second hand places too, and you should always haggle. Beware the price of cars though:Australia has the most expensive second hand cars in the world. It was actually cheaper for us to buy a new car, with some hard bargining, than it was to get a 2 year old one of the same model.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:43 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Beware the price of cars though:Australia has the most expensive second hand cars in the world. It was actually cheaper for us to buy a new car, with some hard bargining, than it was to get a 2 year old one of the same model.
What on earth were you buying? Most cars, particularly the common ones (Falcon, Commodore, Getz, Yaris, etc) drop 10%-20% in value as you drive them out of the showroom.

Check out Carsales. That will give you both new and secondhand prices for any car available in Australia
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

As my friend above says- get underwear and swimmers. Books are incredibly expensive here too, and any white goods, but if you are in a rental you will probably only have to get a fridge. There are second hand places too, and you should always haggle. Beware the price of cars though:Australia has the most expensive second hand cars in the world. It was actually cheaper for us to buy a new car, with some hard bargining, than it was to get a 2 year old one of the same model.
Books aren't a problem - just use the Book Depository - cheap from the UK and free delivery..........
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
Clothes, on the other hand do tend to be quite a bit more and I don't think the quality is anywhere near as good.
I always wonder at these statements. Where is UK clothing made that it's so much better quality?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I always wonder at these statements. Where is UK clothing made that it's so much better quality?

In the same place as the Aus stuff is made. Apparently they save the best material for UK clothes though...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise Noble
I am a wife and mother of a 9 year old daughter. We have just been approved of a sponsored visa and are emigrating to Sydney end of December.
Emigrating? Unless your sponsored visa is a permanent one (and most are temporary) then you should understand you're not "emigrating".
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:25 am
Just Joined

897nicole is an unknown quantity at this point

You’re not coming to Australia from England at a great time, considering the exchange rate. If you want to bring things with you send them by sea. It will be cheaper, it will take about three months to get to Aus, hence gives you time to settled. If you have high quality goods, bring them, otherwise leave everything in the UK. Don't bother bringing your car, unless you have a top of the range one. Baby clothes in Australia are rubbish, so bring baby things if you need them.
If you have good friends / family in the UK, put your stuff into storage ready to be shipped, then you can make up your mind when you get here. if you don't want to bring your stuff over, get your friends / family to sell your stuff or send it to you.
Just be careful with wood and golf clubs, they will have to be treated by customs, very expensive.
Hope you have a good trip
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
In the same place as the Aus stuff is made. Apparently they save the best material for UK clothes though...
Made to a specification and, given all the annecdotal evidence on this board, made to a better specification for the UK market than the Australian one.

It's something that most new migrants from the UK seem to comment on, so there must be something in it.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Just dont agree. 2nd hand cars in my experience plenty cheap here, even given current x-rate. Asian ones tend to be the best value.

White goods appear to be expensive, but if you shop around and negotiate less so. We bought very good washer, tumbler, and huge fridge for $2100. Not convinced they would have been any cheaper in the UK.

Clothes ARE expensive. I refuse to pay the prices here. I shop around on the net and get some decent discounts, or get them from overseas.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 897nicole
Just be careful with wood and golf clubs, they will have to be treated by customs, very expensive.
Hope you have a good trip
eerrr, only if you bring something prohibited or you don't clean your clubs and other items.

They don't have to be treated by customs.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
What on earth were you buying? Most cars, particularly the common ones (Falcon, Commodore, Getz, Yaris, etc) drop 10%-20% in value as you drive them out of the showroom.

Check out Carsales. That will give you both new and secondhand prices for any car available in Australia
I bought a Hyundai Tucson and got a really good deal on it.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Made to a specification and, given all the annecdotal evidence on this board, made to a better specification for the UK market than the Australian one.

It's something that most new migrants from the UK seem to comment on, so there must be something in it.
Or not as the case might be.

Probably the only reason swimmers don't last as long here, regardless of quality is because they tend to get used a whole lot more, just a theory mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.