Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me a character reference?!

Can anyone give me a character reference?!

Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:41 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Default Can anyone give me a character reference?!

We are beginning to get the paperwork together for our PR application (skilled independent) pending the return of our TRA (hopefully positive!) We want to put in a character reference for my husband who has a very minor criminal conviction from 8 years ago. We have a "responsible" member of the community willing to do this for him - to say that he is really a very good person and this was a one-off out-of-character incident. Just tried to draft it and got a bit stuck really, wondered if you helpful people had any examples of character references you could let me see (obviously taking out any personl info.). Can anyone help??
Thanks!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 6:09 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

Depends what your hubby did!!??

there are some good threads and links going on this at present
this link will help...
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/family/character.htm -

but I've sent you a PM with a draft char&job ref in it plus other suggestions...

Hope it helps...
Dave
Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:33 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Would a 'very minor' criminal offence still be listed on your police check, perhaps not ?

You could always ask the local police station (or a local cop who might be approachable) to write a reference saying that your husband is now of good character and attach this with the original police check.

It will do no harm what so ever to include other character references, it is really showing the Oz authorities that is was a one off offence which you deeply regret and have been on the straight and narrow ever since.

If it wasn't a custodial sentence I'm sure you'll be OK !

Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:23 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dave - I'll check out my PMs! I'm sure this will be useful!

irishmolly - it is still on the police record because he was convicted (got a conditional discharge) and it was less than 10 years ago! It was for criminal damage to property (too much drink one night whilst young and foolish). However, when we spoke to the officer from the Australian High Commission she didn't think it would be a problem but suggested some character references would be a good idea. Having found "responsible" people - they have asked that we draft the letters and I didn't know where to start.....never done a character reference before!

Old Jun 16th 2004, 10:57 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't ask any Police Officers for a reference as they are not allowed to give one...they could lose their job if they did.

You will really need to search for the best and most up-standing member of the community that you can find for that big reference. Writing it not easy but think officially as if you were the one who had to read it and assess it. Think that it would be your responsibility if you were wrong and what you would really most expect to see in that reference that would convince you either way. Then you will have some idea of what to put...

Overall...no-one can tell for sure which way they will go...
It's inside 10 years so it's not really an old or spent conviction.
Criminal Damage can be serious. It depends upon the circumstances but if the damage was minor say less than £100 then you may be ok...but you may not.

Sorry! but I can't predict what they will do..!
Keep working on the references... if you don't try you won't succeed at anything except failure.

Good luck!
Dave