Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone in an Environmental Job help out?

Can Anyone in an Environmental Job help out?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Can Anyone in an Environmental Job help out?

Hi all

I hope you can help. My question is 2 fold and a little complicated so please excuse the long post.

1) I am VERY confused about the different jobs that have the word 'Environmental' in the title. There are several on the Skilled Occupations List and the Employer Nominated Occupations List and I'm trying to figure out which one I fall under and have read and re-read the job titles and descriptions on the classification of occupations document and I can't decide and it makes a BIG difference to my migration application because some of them make me eligible for the general skilled migration visa while some of them are only useful to me if I have a job offer and can be sponsored by an employer (which I do not at this stage). I think perhaps that the way we classify Environmental occupations in the UK might be different to the Aus classification. I would appreciate some insider knowledge on Environmental Careers in Aus if anyone can help.

Basically, I am an Environmental Co-ordinator for a manufacturing company. I reduce environmental risk, I respond to effluent/chemical spills & other pollution issues, I deal with waste water management, I do Environmental Auditing and I maintain the Environmental Management System and make sure the company stays within the Environmental legislation. Now what occupation do I put down as my job title?

The title that I first thought of was Environment, Parks and Landcare Manager as I definitely do Environment Management but the tasks for this occupation are totally unrelated to my current job ie. manages parks and wildlife conservation programs.

The tasks for Environmental Scientists seem to focus on fish and wildlife and habitat concerns something which I do not do.

Environmental Health Officer has some tasks that I do, like pollution control and waste water management but I don't really have anything to do with people's 'health' directly so I am slightly misled by this title.

To be honest, it would seem that I overlap and fall somewhere between an Environmental Health Officer and Environmental Scientist but which do I put? And how closely do I have to match the 'tasks' for my nominated occupation?

2) Second question - what is the job market like for Environmental Managers/Co-ordinators? It feels like it is only an emerging career in the UK and jobs are incredibly hard to come by and was wondering if Aus was the same.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:40 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Anyone in an Environmental Job help out?

Originally Posted by getmethere
Hi all

I hope you can help. My question is 2 fold and a little complicated so please excuse the long post.

1) I am VERY confused about the different jobs that have the word 'Environmental' in the title. There are several on the Skilled Occupations List and the Employer Nominated Occupations List and I'm trying to figure out which one I fall under and have read and re-read the job titles and descriptions on the classification of occupations document and I can't decide and it makes a BIG difference to my migration application because some of them make me eligible for the general skilled migration visa while some of them are only useful to me if I have a job offer and can be sponsored by an employer (which I do not at this stage). I think perhaps that the way we classify Environmental occupations in the UK might be different to the Aus classification. I would appreciate some insider knowledge on Environmental Careers in Aus if anyone can help.

Basically, I am an Environmental Co-ordinator for a manufacturing company. I reduce environmental risk, I respond to effluent/chemical spills & other pollution issues, I deal with waste water management, I do Environmental Auditing and I maintain the Environmental Management System and make sure the company stays within the Environmental legislation. Now what occupation do I put down as my job title?

The title that I first thought of was Environment, Parks and Landcare Manager as I definitely do Environment Management but the tasks for this occupation are totally unrelated to my current job ie. manages parks and wildlife conservation programs.

The tasks for Environmental Scientists seem to focus on fish and wildlife and habitat concerns something which I do not do.

Environmental Health Officer has some tasks that I do, like pollution control and waste water management but I don't really have anything to do with people's 'health' directly so I am slightly misled by this title.

To be honest, it would seem that I overlap and fall somewhere between an Environmental Health Officer and Environmental Scientist but which do I put? And how closely do I have to match the 'tasks' for my nominated occupation?

2) Second question - what is the job market like for Environmental Managers/Co-ordinators? It feels like it is only an emerging career in the UK and jobs are incredibly hard to come by and was wondering if Aus was the same.

hi getmethere, try this info :
Environmental Careers in Aus

http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...tryGroupID=480

and the attachment...

also contact the professional associations mentioned in the career profile - good luck!

J
Attached Files