Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can Anybody Help Please!!!!

Can Anybody Help Please!!!!

Old May 24th 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

gillies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Anybody Help Please!!!!

we are going to aust via hong kong for 2 days in oct to validate a PRVisa we have been advised by our travel company that my sons passport is not valid for 6 months after travel as it runs out in feb 2006. I have run aust house and they said its not a problem. Has anyone else come across this? We cant really change the passport now as it has the visa in it and we were not told there would be a problem at the time. Thanks for any advise Gillies.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Anybody Help Please!!!!

Its easier and cheaper to get him a new passport while you are still in the UK, than getting one once you are here.
Many places (technically the UK is one of them!) insist on 6 months validity when allowing you into the country. I would get him a new passport now, then you can either carry both passports, to prove the visa is there, or contact Australia House once you have the new passport and they can then re-evidence the visa into the new one.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:21 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gillies
we are going to aust via hong kong for 2 days in oct to validate a PRVisa we have been advised by our travel company that my sons passport is not valid for 6 months after travel as it runs out in feb 2006. I have run aust house and they said its not a problem. Has anyone else come across this? We cant really change the passport now as it has the visa in it and we were not told there would be a problem at the time. Thanks for any advise Gillies.

Last year we visited Aus on a reccie mission and applied for the travel visa. To save time with PR visa, we decided to renew the kids passports as well. Only problem was the travel visa was allocated to their old passports. Which we didnt think of that the time of renewing them. All we did was to take the old passports and new ones with us and had no problem. We were told at immigration that it was a good job we had taken the old ones, with out them, they wouldnt have allowed us entry.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Old May 24th 2005, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

I read somewhere in my visa acceptance letter that if you get a new passport and your visa is in the old you just need to carrry both passports, you can then simply apply for the visa to be changed to the new passport when you have time
Tara
Old May 24th 2005, 2:26 pm
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

when we went out to Oz last year my son had 5 months & three weeks left on his passport & we were advised to get a new one for him, which we did
Old May 24th 2005, 3:05 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi My sisters both work for airlines one of which is emirates and they advised me that we must have more than 6 months on our passport.
Good luck
Jane x
Old May 24th 2005, 3:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joanne
Last year we visited Aus on a reccie mission and applied for the travel visa. To save time with PR visa, we decided to renew the kids passports as well. Only problem was the travel visa was allocated to their old passports. Which we didnt think of that the time of renewing them. All we did was to take the old passports and new ones with us and had no problem. We were told at immigration that it was a good job we had taken the old ones, with out them, they wouldnt have allowed us entry.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Sounds about right. I have OZ passport but 'certificate of right of abode' for the UK, dated from 16 years ago (1989). Any time I want to enter UK I just carry current passport and passport from 16 years ago and have no problem. Cant see why the same wouldnt apply in reverse.