Reload this Page >

Can anybody help me, please?

Can anybody help me, please?

Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

SianWatts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anybody help me, please?

Hello there,

I'm hoping you can help me, or put me in touch with someone else who can.

I'm hoping to come over to Australia in the next few months to visit Ebbw Vale which I believe is based in Ipswich in Queensland.

I currently work for a local paper in the original Ebbw Vale in South Wales as a trainee reporter, and am looking to do some research into the links between the two places and maybe even start up a more permanent link, perhaps between schools and newspapers in the two areas.

Do you have any idea of people who would be useful to help me with information, or ex-pats who live there, or relatively near there? Do you have any friends (who are not ex-pats) in that area who would be willing for me to get in touch with them?

The weakest of links would really be a huge help as I'm drawing a blank on the internet.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Regards,
Sian
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:01 pm
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can anybody help me, please?

Originally Posted by SianWatts
Hello there,

I'm hoping you can help me, or put me in touch with someone else who can.

I'm hoping to come over to Australia in the next few months to visit Ebbw Vale which I believe is based in Ipswich in Queensland.

I currently work for a local paper in the original Ebbw Vale in South Wales as a trainee reporter, and am looking to do some research into the links between the two places and maybe even start up a more permanent link, perhaps between schools and newspapers in the two areas.

Do you have any idea of people who would be useful to help me with information, or ex-pats who live there, or relatively near there? Do you have any friends (who are not ex-pats) in that area who would be willing for me to get in touch with them?

The weakest of links would really be a huge help as I'm drawing a blank on the internet.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Regards,
Sian

Hi Sian

Ipswich Moreton Regional Tourist Assoc.
Cnr Brisbane St & D¹Arcy Doyle Pl.
Ipswich QLD 4305
Telephone: (07) 3281 0555
Facsimile: (07) 3281 0555

Surely the tourist info people can put you in touch with the Town Council etc?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/queenslan...500203431.html

I got the tourist people from the above link, and the tourist people might also be able to put you in touch with the local newspaper, I should think. Found a map, too. Ebbw Vale is minute - about 12 houses by the look of it - right next to a place called New Chum, which is rather jolly!

I just did a Google search for Ebbw Vale + Queensland. The real estate agents there ought to have some good local contacts as well.

I think a bit of lateral thinking will open local doors for you. Have a nice time in Ebbw Vale. When are you planning to go there? Are you taking a TV crew? Apparently a lot of the places in Queensland are named after places in the Rhondda, so I reckon Harlech TV might want to do a documentary about the links sometime. Are there coal mines in that part of Queensland? I'm now curious about why that particular spot attracted Welsh settlers. Do you know why that was?

Fascinating stuff, though, so please let me know, won't you?

Cheers

Gnut
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Can anybody help me, please?

Hi Sian,I lived in Ipswich for 25 years and Ebbw Vale is a suburb of there,around Ipswich there used to be a lot of coal mining,hence the place names of Ebbw Vale ,Blacksoil,New Chum,do you remember a mine blowing up called Box Flat in the 70's,I forget how many men were killed,quite a few I think, that was in the area.
A lot of Welsh miners worked there and there is a Welsh church and choir.
The local paper is The Queensland Times.Sorry I don't have any contacts for you.
Cheers Lorri