Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can an 18 year old tourist drive in Oz..??

Can an 18 year old tourist drive in Oz..??

Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:57 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all
Question Can an 18 year old tourist drive in Oz..??

Hi guys...

A friend's son is planning a year's trip on a WHM visa, starting next year after we arrive in Perth. He's planning on driving a lot to visit various friends and family, but has been told that a visitor can only drive in Aus if they've held their license for more than 3 years. As he's only 18, he obviously has only recently passed his test.

I've looked all over but can't find the answer.
Can any of you wise old Expats shed some light on this for him..??

Cheers all.
Bless ya,
Rogue.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can an 18 year old tourist drive in Oz..??

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
Hi guys...

A friend's son is planning a year's trip on a WHM visa, starting next year after we arrive in Perth. He's planning on driving a lot to visit various friends and family, but has been told that a visitor can only drive in Aus if they've held their license for more than 3 years. As he's only 18, he obviously has only recently passed his test.

Cheers all.
Bless ya,
Rogue.
According to Vic roads (for victoria):

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current licence) for an indefinite period provided:

your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

I can see no mention that you need a licence for 3 years. Maybe he will pay higher insurance but he will def be allowed to drive,

Ruth
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:08 pm
Aussie Citizen

Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pootle
According to Vic roads (for victoria):

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current licence) for an indefinite period provided:

your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

I can see no mention that you need a licence for 3 years. Maybe he will pay higher insurance but he will def be allowed to drive,

Ruth
Good on ya Ruth, thanks for that.

Right, anyone out there in NSW, QLD, WA.............
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem will be insurance, he can get it but how much? I have read on here insurance for kids is not high not so, most are driving only on compulsory third party, (injury to a third party), my sons 19 we do know about this.

Whos car is he driving most of the rental cos have stiff insurance premiums for under 25's, try www.budget.com.au or www.avis.com.au to find out.

If its a private car, speak to whos car it is , mine for example to get cheaper ins is only insured for over 30"s. Is the car he will be driving going to be insured for an 18 year old, and if its not, how much.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi guys...

Cheers all.
Bless ya,
Rogue.
For WA look at : http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m.../overseas.html

It does not mention an age limit for visitors, and is the official information site.
Basically it just says: "As a visitor you can drive on your overseas licence for up to 12 months from your arrival "

As far as insurance goes, to add an 18 year old on to my own policy,(www.aami.com.au) would not incur any additional premium, but would increase the excess. Other insurers may charge extra.

However, if he had his own policy, here are some example quotes:

A basic 1600/1800 4 cyl car value about $14,000

DoB 1/7/87
Third Party Property Damage $223
Third Party Fire & Theft $ 283
Comp $ 1,527

DoB 1/7/88
Third Party Property Damage $221
Third Party Fire & Theft $ 281
Comp $ 1,527

These are on top of the basic CTP charged when the car is registered.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:36 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Nothing specifically stopping him, but as others have pointed out insurance will be steep. If he's going to drive someone else's car, they need to check their policy. I know mine has clauses basically not covering anyone under 30 years old, and most have big excess increases for younger drivers.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:06 am
Aussie Citizen

Many thanks to one and all for your thorough replies.
He will be reassured by this. I think the car he's hoping to borrow belongs to his uncle, so I'll tell him to check out the insurance situation.

Cheers,
RT.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys...

Cheers all.
Bless ya,
Rogue.
This maybe to do with hiring a car. I'm pretty sure a lot of companies won't allow car hire to 21 (hertz is 25) and they generally require you to have held a licence for a minimum period to.