Reload this Page >

Camping in Tassie

Camping in Tassie

Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:09 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Camping in Tassie

Just come back from our very first camping expedition at Cradle Mountain
We`d never been camping before but decided to give it a try. Bought the tent and all the rest of the gear on Thursday (very well prepared)!
We got there on Friday afternoon and settled in after watching a DVD with the kids and consuming a bottle of wine and a few beers (me and hubby NOT the kids). Went to the toilet/shower block and nearly fell over a wallaby (my fault not his)
Woke up Saturday morning thinking I was still pi$$ed. It was snowing
The middle of summer and snowing! We went for a walk around Dove Lake which was beautiful, apart from the fact that it was blowing a gale, snowing, hailstoning, peeing down and also sunny Whenever anyone tells you that Tasmanian weather is undpredictable they`re not kidding.

Went for a walk round a nature reserve later and saw, a kangaroo, wallabies and our first wild wombat.
Woke up this morning (sober cos I didn`t have a drink), in gale force winds and it was lagging it down (as it had been all night).

Packing up this morning and saw a wallaby sheltering under the tree next to us (or maybe he was waiting to see if I was still pi$$ed), and then a wombat came trundling past.

All in all, we had an EXCELLENT time and are planning our next trip

Tasmania really is a truly wonderful place
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping in Tassie

Lol, Mashy sounds like you had a bizarre but excellent time

Really glad you're enjoying Tassie, we don't get to hear much about it on here and I'd really love to visit
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:39 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Tassies the best place in OZ for a holiday in my opinion, has the best scenery, but make sure you go in summmer, if its snowing at cradle mountain in the middle of summer imagine how cold it is in winter.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:09 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Tassies the best place in OZ for a holiday in my opinion, has the best scenery, but make sure you go in summmer, if its snowing at cradle mountain in the middle of summer imagine how cold it is in winter.
It was about 2 degrees when we were there, but apparantly is was 30 degrees a couple of days before I never have had a good sense of timing

Whatever the weather though, we had an excellent time
It truly is Australia`s best kept secret
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:08 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL sounds fab mate ... I'm deffo off to buy those wellies
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mashy
It was about 2 degrees when we were there, but apparantly is was 30 degrees a couple of days before I never have had a good sense of timing

Whatever the weather though, we had an excellent time
It truly is Australia`s best kept secret
I remember driving through tassie with my mate about 4 years back. We came down from the north coast, where it was bright sunshine, tshirt weather - this would have been January, almost exactly to the week same as now, actually. We came along the main highway to the north of the Cradle Mountain area, heading for Strahan, and it snowed, not a lot, but there was sleet, then snow. The air temp outside was registering 2 degrees. Down into Strahan, and back into warmth, but I remember my mate being really amazed by the change, and even i didn't really expect it.