Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Queensland

Camping in Queensland

Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

No Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really nice
Default Camping in Queensland

In the UK I love camping, I love it outdoors but the weather here is.....well to put is simply crap most of the time. Early this year we brought a trailer tent to enjoy our last british summer for a while (Hopefully!!).

Now I have to make a decision. Next year I could sell the trailer tent and get most of my money back but I would love to take it with me to Brisbane.

Anyone had any experiences of camping in Queensland?
My other concern is what issues I will have bringing a trailer tent through customs as it has been pitched in muddy fields. I guess I will have to pay for it to be cleaned, checked, etc.

But I have had a look at Australian style trailer tents and they are really basic compared with European models.

I just don't know if it is worth all the hassle.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 3:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping in Queensland

hmm... I know nothing about trailer tents or customs. But I have been camping, once in the uk, and several times here in SE Qld.

Camping over here is approx 1,000 times better than camping back in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No Dramas
In the UK I love camping, I love it outdoors but the weather here is.....well to put is simply crap most of the time. Early this year we brought a trailer tent to enjoy our last british summer for a while (Hopefully!!).

Now I have to make a decision. Next year I could sell the trailer tent and get most of my money back but I would love to take it with me to Brisbane.

Anyone had any experiences of camping in Queensland?
My other concern is what issues I will have bringing a trailer tent through customs as it has been pitched in muddy fields. I guess I will have to pay for it to be cleaned, checked, etc.

But I have had a look at Australian style trailer tents and they are really basic compared with European models.

I just don't know if it is worth all the hassle.
We went to the Brisbane Camping and Caravaning Show a couple of months ago and were blown away by the equipment availble. Trailer tents here are built for more extreme environments so look a little agricultural from afar. Get close up and they are works of (fabricating) art some of them. Many have internal trays that slide out containing stainless steel sinks / worktops / cooktops.

Base model was from around $7000 and from there the sky's the limit.

The aussies that camp generally do it exceptionally well; all the right gear and lots of it. The first time we went we stuck out as rank amateurs.

And yes, camping here is about a thousand times more enjoyable than anything I experienced in the UK.

As for shippin your trailer tent, I think you'll need some proper advice. Not sure whether it would be classed as a road-going vehicle and liable for import duties and compliance testing etc. At the very least there'll be the hassle and expense of shipping, plus the probability of cleaning / fumigation.

Andy
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

We brought our large tent over and it was still slightly dirty but I didnt have time to clean it so chanced it and they never picked it out.

tbh I think they will drag stuff out anyway to 'clean' it, they make a lot off $$$$ with this exercise.

So I would say bring it, I saw advertised a trailer tent for $4k on an auction website over here last month