Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help

Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help

Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help

hi guys,

camping newbie here , hope you can share what are your recommended weekend camping sites ( 1-3 hours drive from Brisbane)? something kids aged 7,5,3 yrs old will enjoy?

and are there any good websites/books that you use when planning your trip?

thank you for any replies
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help

Originally Posted by obiwan
hi guys,

camping newbie here , hope you can share what are your recommended weekend camping sites ( 1-3 hours drive from Brisbane)? something kids aged 7,5,3 yrs old will enjoy?

and are there any good websites/books that you use when planning your trip?

thank you for any replies
Big 4 are always good value.

Have a look at: http://qld.big4.com.au/public/

Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast all easy drives from Brisbane, makes long weekends possible. I've heard good reports about Treasure Island on the Gold Coast, close to Surfers and all the theme parks. Plenty for th ekids to do.

Andy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody who had a holiday in Oz in a camper van from Britz and now I live here have my own camper van, I would say that the 'guide books' for camping are really poor.

You will find a book called 'Camps for Australia' that is now at issue 4. HOWEVER, it is really for back packer and free camper types, as it shows free 'sites' that are no more than road side rest areas, where camping is allowed and generally sites for less than $20 a night (so pretty basic). You wont find any big sites with enterainment for the kids in there because of their $20 budget.

I have a book for National Park camp sites in NSW, but again these being very rural sites are usually basic.

I would suggest that you can't go wrong with a chain of camp sites called 'BIG4' www.big4.com.au and another one called Top Tourist Parks www.toptouristparks.com.au . These generally all have pools and stuff for the kids, but charge accordingly and have minimum stays at bank holidays etc.

I have not yet been able to come across any sort of guide like you would get in the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

Treasure Island on the Gold Coast.

Andy
We stopped at this one for one night last year when we went to watch Gold Coast Titans Rugby League play the Bunnys. It was a very nice site, one of the best we have stayed at in Oz.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We stopped at this one for one night last year when we went to watch Gold Coast Titans Rugby League play the Bunnys. It was a very nice site, one of the best we have stayed at in Oz.
One of the good things about the Big 4 sites is the availability and variety of the cabin accomodation which doesn't cost a great deal more than a powered camp site.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

One of the good things about the Big 4 sites is the availability and variety of the cabin accomodation which doesn't cost a great deal more than a powered camp site.
Yes, but if you want tour round rather than stay in one place, many apply 2 or even 7 night minimum bookings at Christmas time, etc.

Our camper has big solar panels and a huge battery, so we can camp anywhere and dont need electric hook-up or to run the engine for charging (providing at least we get a bit of sun).

I would prefer to do a bit more rural/free camping out in the bush, but my wife likes big shower blocks proper toilets etc.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, but if you want tour round rather than stay in one place, many apply 2 or even 7 night minimum bookings at Christmas time, etc.

Our camper has big solar panels and a huge battery, so we can camp anywhere and dont need electric hook-up or to run the engine for charging (providing at least we get a bit of sun).

I would prefer to do a bit more rural/free camping out in the bush, but my wife likes big shower blocks proper toilets etc.
What van you got Roger?

I was thinking on getting a camper a while back. The next door neighbour was selling his Toyota HiAce camper, old and beat up but looked the dogs, proper Mad Max. Didn't have rear seat belt so was only legally a two-seater so didn't bother in the end.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

excited to check out the Big 4 places!

just curious, how much do you normally spend during your overnight camping trips?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

just curious, how much do you normally spend during your overnight camping trips?
If it was me I would head upto Noosa !

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...w+beach+timber
Attached Thumbnails Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help-dscn4732.jpg   Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help-dscn4709.jpg   Camping in Brisbane Thread - Newbie could use some help-dscn4713.jpg  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

What van you got Roger?

I was thinking on getting a camper a while back. The next door neighbour was selling his Toyota HiAce camper, old and beat up but looked the dogs, proper Mad Max. Didn't have rear seat belt so was only legally a two-seater so didn't bother in the end.
Yep - We've got a Toyota Hiace 1993, 2.4 petrol with 315,000 kms - so only just run in! The inside has been really well looked after and has completely new soft furnishing (seats, curtains, etc). It is a Discoverer conversion, with a few extras and I'm now adding to it. Its got bull bars front and back and blacked out side windows.

Ours has two seat belts for the rear bench seat (that folds in to the bed) and a seat belt for the little middle seat between the driver and main passenger - so I guess could legally take 5.

I guess it does look pretty good.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

For the more basic sites $15 - $20, but generally on Big4 sites about $40 for a site with mains power - but you can pay more, like for the sites where you have your own private toilet and shower next to your pitch (known as 'en-suite') and its more at Chrimbo etc.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
If it was me I would head upto Noosa !

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...w+beach+timber
thanks for the link Timber,

oh yes I would like to hear as many recommendations as possible, plan to camp at least once a month....

nice pics!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

For the more basic sites $15 - $20, but generally on Big4 sites about $40 for a site with mains power - but you can pay more, like for the sites where you have your own private toilet and shower next to your pitch (known as 'en-suite') and its more at Chrimbo etc.
thanks for the info on prices...

my wife will probably demand that we have an en-suite

we plan to start out with a big tent initially.... cant wait to see those parks!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks for the info on prices...

my wife will probably demand that we have an en-suite

we plan to start out with a big tent initially.... cant wait to see those parks!
My wife 'demands' them too - but I just tell her that they are fully booked or closed for re-painting etc etc..

Its a hell of a big and fantastic country and for us that have to live in the city/suburbs for work, camping in one form or another is a great way to get out and see more than you could in a day trip or by using hotels.

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Feb 26th 2008 at 4:43 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

My wife 'demands' them too - but I just tell her that they are fully booked or closed for re-painting etc etc..

[/QUOTE]
Its a hell of a big and fantastic country and for us that have to live in the city/suburbs for work, camping in one form or another is a great way to get out and see more than you could in a day trip or by using hotels.[/QUOTE]

absolutely! i am also trying to start my kids early so they enjoy it. my OH unfortunately never got to experience it as a kid so doesn't understand how fun it is....

aside from the goldcoast and sunshine coast, are many of the beautiful parks within 1-3 hours of brisbane? or do you normally have to drive more than 3 hours to see the good stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.