Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camping in Australia

Camping in Australia

Old Jul 28th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Camping in Australia

We are going camping in October and have brought our tent from Uk - big dome affair with hanging up sleeping comaprtments. my question is - Will we be under attack from beasties n things in the main living area as it does not have an all in one ground sheet which is attached to the tent, you just peg the tent down and anything can creep in underneath basically. Sleeping compartments should be okay as they are fully enclosed (I hope).

Has anyone been camping yet?

:scared:
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:04 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Camping in Australia

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We are going camping in October and have brought our tent from Uk - big dome affair with hanging up sleeping comaprtments. my question is - Will we be under attack from beasties n things in the main living area as it does not have an all in one ground sheet which is attached to the tent, you just peg the tent down and anything can creep in underneath basically. Sleeping compartments should be okay as they are fully enclosed (I hope).

Has anyone been camping yet?

:scared:
All I can say is don't do it...!!!

There could only be a very few reasons to resort to camping in Australia, but I can't think of any.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Di, think I'd get one with the ground sheet attached. I'd be paranoid of snakes crawling into me tent. Our tent sleeps 4 and it only cost $99 in k mart. Aussie tents have fly screens everywhere too, vital here.

Still it could be fun waking up with a python in your sleeping bag
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03

There could only be a very few reasons to resort to camping in Australia, but I can't think of any.

The poms are always saying their lives at home are two tents - at least this way they would get to use them?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:26 am
Not here

Originally posted by Wilf
The poms are always saying their lives at home are two tents - at least this way they would get to use them?
As long as they don't take up the retirement tradition of driving huge 4x4's towing caravans around the country like the band of resident grey-haired homeless gypsies we have now. Do these people ever grow up?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as they don't take up the retirement tradition of driving huge 4x4's towing caravans around the country like the band of resident grey-haired homeless gypsies we have now. Do these people ever grow up?
You should give up waiting, Florida. That is it - they are fully grown.

Never forget that the present UK government is aiding and abetting the offloading of useless poms onto Oz - providing false work references for skills points, secretly arranging for their houses to be bought by government agents posing as "Mr and Mrs Jones", never allowing negative stories about Oz to be broadcast on British telly, etc. It goes to the very top.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must be nice on Planet Wilf, away from reality, living in your own little world..........
Old Jul 28th 2003, 4:53 am
Not here

Originally posted by Wilf
You should give up waiting, Florida. That is it - they are fully grown.

Never forget that the present UK government is aiding and abetting the offloading of useless poms onto Oz - providing false work references for skills points, secretly arranging for their houses to be bought by government agents posing as "Mr and Mrs Jones", never allowing negative stories about Oz to be broadcast on British telly, etc. It goes to the very top.
You mean transportation never really ceased!

Anyway we'll get in trouble for thread deviation...a transportable offence...

Now, camping is awful, and you are better to stay in a motel. No motel stay in the hotel. No hotel stay in a B&B. No B&B stay in a caravan park cabin. No cabin stay in a caravan park caravan. No caravan stay at home and watch it on TV.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've been camping out here a few times and never had problems with spiders, snakes, etc. The biggest problem is Mossies but not bad enough to put me off camping and only occasionally is mossies a real problem.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

WE'RE SKINT!!!!!WE'RE SKINT!!! Is that a good enough reason?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Di, think I'd get one with the ground sheet attached. I'd be paranoid of snakes crawling into me tent. Our tent sleeps 4 and it only cost $99 in k mart. Aussie tents have fly screens everywhere too, vital here.

Yeah I had thought of getting a cheapo one. Just that I forked out 300 quid in Uk whithout thinking about how it would hold up in Oz. Doh! I'll let you know how it goes.

Old Jul 28th 2003, 6:22 am
Not here

Originally posted by DianeOZ
WE'RE SKINT!!!!!WE'RE SKINT!!! Is that a good enough reason?
A perfectly sound and logical reason. However, there are very few free areas in which to camp and the extras (gas bottles, camp bedding, billy tins, enameled mugs) all add up and in my experience costs more than it is worth.

The local pubs in regional Australia can represent very good value. In my travels I have stayed in many pubs and enjoyed the lockins after hours.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

However, there are very few free areas in which to camp
That's not true, there are loads.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DianeOZ
Originally posted by dotty

Yeah I had thought of getting a cheapo one. Just that I forked out 300 quid in Uk whithout thinking about how it would hold up in Oz. Doh! I'll let you know how it goes.

Diane,
Did you have any problems bringing the tent through customs? We have a 3 man kids tent that we have only used twice. I want to bring it , but I thought there might be a risk with fumigation etc because it has been outside. Do you think it is worth risking it?

Good luck with your trip, thousands of Aussies go camping so it can't be that much of a problem.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:22 am
Not here

Originally posted by renth
That's not true, there are loads.
Sorry, you are right.

You would be hard pressed to find safe free camping areas anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

Western Australia, I know nothing about, and the bush there is a perfectly safe area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.