Camping

Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping

We're getting into renting a cottage for our simple, get away from it all but not too far from it all breaks.

We've just been to the same one for the second time in 3 months - may lack imagination but it was a last-minute thing so just convenient and she gave us a decent mid-week rate (and a loyalty discount). We knew it was well equipped and in a great location, and it was also comfortingly familiar. Feels like our own weekender now
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've had my eye on this one: http://www.paperbarkcamp.com.au/ Not too far, either.
Looks cool

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hotels are good for weekend/ overnight city breaks with the Missus but holidaying in them is crap once the novelty of having your room and bed sorted and the soap replenished wears off, however expensive. Saved by a good feed.

Every person whose ever camped can tell the tale of the 'Kit Monster' who camps just so that they can acquire the biggest mountain of gucci kit going. I have slight tendencies that way...
I dont know about camping though. Its not the camping bit that I mind, I quite enjoy that bit, but what I really dont like is having to set everything up and then take in all down again and pack the car and everything. The actual camping bit is quite cool.

Growing up in SA we did our share of camping, with family, with school, with friends.

All school kids had to do something called veldskool (translates to bush school) which was actually a week of hell where we got sent to some sort of army camp and got abused by ex army men suffering from PTSD. It does put a damper on the whole camping thing
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hotels are good for weekend/ overnight city breaks with the Missus but holidaying in them is crap once the novelty of having your room and bed sorted and the soap replenished wears off, however expensive. Saved by a good feed.

Every person whose ever camped can tell the tale of the 'Kit Monster' who camps just so that they can acquire the biggest mountain of gucci kit going. I have slight tendencies that way...
For years we used a small 2 person Vango tent & a single Trangia cooker, all our kit fitted in a couple of rucksacks inc clothes & food. When we'd used it here a few times including a week at Inskip after that Deb insisted we trade it for something that she could "stand up to put her undies on in"
We now have a much larger tent that came with all the other crap like a huge tarp & multitude of poles, a 3 burner stove, gas webber for breckie, larder unit, table, chairs, etc etc etc There's so much kit it takes up a full robe in the spare room.
If we didn't have the boat to cart it around in we'd be better off with a trailer tent. Still the boat features in the majority of our RnR so it's all good for now
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Unless the "campground" comes with a Michelin 4 star rating, room service and a spa bath it's shite.
Originally Posted by Seasider
Whereas the rest of us prefer to stay in at least 4* hotels Never camped, never likely to, unless it comes complete with beds, electricity and a full bathroom.
I'm with these two.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RenShen
Our camps can be a bit boozy and loud. Don't think we would quite fit in there!
We, as in the royal we camping group now rate all campsites by complaints directed at camping group, time you are told to be noise free, generator allowed, amenities and location. So far two campsites have passed regular muster.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
We, as in the royal we camping group now rate all campsites by complaints directed at camping group, time you are told to be noise free, generator allowed, amenities and location. So far two campsites have passed regular muster.
Are they any where near the Gold Coast?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Camp as often as we can.

Eat like Kings (drink like Lords!)

Everyone on good bedding (fan heater in winter) Two fridges, plus wet Esky and dry Esky (ant proof).

Great group of mates and kids have a ball!

Four nights at Easter cost $175 in total - one night's house accommodation would be $220 per night!

No brainer for us - but it's the flexibility that wins it everytime for us!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

graham wade will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jothefw
Camp as often as we can.

Eat like Kings (drink like Lords!)

Everyone on good bedding (fan heater in winter) Two fridges, plus wet Esky and dry Esky (ant proof).

Great group of mates and kids have a ball!

Four nights at Easter cost $175 in total - one night's house accommodation would be $220 per night!

No brainer for us - but it's the flexibility that wins it everytime for us!
we are bringing our camping gear with us i hope it gets through aqis ok the tent pegs were scrubbed and put through the dishwasher and the tents washed inside and out. we would like to do the Fraser island 4x4 fishing camping thing
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham wade
we are bringing our camping gear with us i hope it gets through aqis ok the tent pegs were scrubbed and put through the dishwasher and the tents washed inside and out. we would like to do the Fraser island 4x4 fishing camping thing
We spent a week on Fraser Island camping last year. Have to say I did not enjoy it at all. We were at Waddy Point which was too remote. Not my idea of fun driving 50 yards, getting out to dig the car out of sand, driving another 50 yards, getting out to dig someone elses car out of the sand, driving 20 yards, helping somebody with their broken down car. You could literally see the dollars being wiped off the value of the vehicles there.

A lovely place is North Stradbroke Island. We stayed in a unit there a few months back. Will definitely be going there to camp.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Our camps can be a bit boozy and loud. Don't think we would quite fit in there!
Any recommendations without noise police would be more than appreciated
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:48 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm with these two.
And me...i've got Bob Hope of getting the missus to go camping ( thank fook )
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by graham wade
We were told to leave all sorts but not the tent that got through no bother and the pegs without a wash of any kind.

Are they any where near the Gold Coast?
We were at Kingscliffe at Tweed Heads.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

I used to have a Kombi Van that I would drive up/down the QLD coast. Usually I would just park in the Overnight stay areas and sleep in the back of the van.

Cooking was on a gas BBQ or on one of the coin operated ones on the beach.

Overnighting in a Caravan park, and using the washing facilities made me feel a bit more human.

The In-laws have a small trailer that unfolds into a bed, and a canopy for cooking in. They quite often go away for weeks at a time, and they love it
Old Apr 11th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's amazing how many Pricilla Queen of the Desert bus's there are out there.

Originally Posted by Coryate
I used to have a Kombi Van that I would drive up/down the QLD coast. Usually I would just park in the Overnight stay areas and sleep in the back of the van.

Cooking was on a gas BBQ or on one of the coin operated ones on the beach.

Overnighting in a Caravan park, and using the washing facilities made me feel a bit more human.

The In-laws have a small trailer that unfolds into a bed, and a canopy for cooking in. They quite often go away for weeks at a time, and they love it