Camping

Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping

In theory, I don't mind camping as long as the weather is good and the facilities are ok.

The last time I camped was 2 years ago in Devon, in August. We had spent a lot of money on a tent with plans to use it all the time. It pissed down all weekend and have not used the tent since

I also camped in Queensland 11 years ago - again, it rained every day.

I don't have much luck camping tbh, think I'll stick to hotels
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:50 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Love it.....................we go every chance we can get on the beach near Inskip Point. Can't be doing with the camp site malarky though. Its usually between 8 and 12 of us pitched up at the side of the ocean (behind a dune).....plenty of good food, a big campfire (now the fire ban is off) plenty of grog, good company and the best view in the world to wake up to
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Would never consider camping in the UK but have been a few times since being in Australia and I am now a convert. As long as you have the right equipment its a great, cheap way to have a short break. We are lucky enough to be able to camp with friends so the kids love mucking about together, not having to wash as much as at home, having a bit of freedom to roam, seeing amazing wildlife etc.

Camping with a group of mates also means we ate fantastic food. 1st night was gourmet pizza. We all took our own bases and a selection of toppings. Laid it all out on the table and helped ourselves to build our perfect pizza. A friend has a small hooded bbq so she cooked them all. Bloody lovely and very easy.

Night two was steak night. All took our own steaks. I cut a load of garlic and put in into small incisions in the steaks and coated them in black pepper. Cooked on the bbq with corn on the cob and pasta and salad. Another roaring success.

The last night was our pinnacle though. A full roast. Beef, lamb and pork cooked in camp ovens on the fire. Sweet potato and pumpkin mash, roast pumpkin, green beans and gravy. Delish!! The leftovers went into a fantastic bubble and squeak for the next day's breakfast (great stodgy hangover cure).

Loads of booze and good company and the campsite only cost $53. No way could we have afforded to stay in a hotel for 3 nights over Easter and if we did we would not have had nearly as much fun.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:49 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

I want some now! Never camped since I was a kid (and that was 20 scouts in one big ridge tent).... do you need all the clobber though? In the UK it seems like you have to invest £1000s to keep up with the neighbours...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sniffydog
I want some now! Never camped since I was a kid (and that was 20 scouts in one big ridge tent).... do you need all the clobber though? In the UK it seems like you have to invest £1000s to keep up with the neighbours...
Although I camped frequently in UK find Aus camping preferable as warmer and less rain unless a storm whips up then it's an experience in itself as people try to stop the tents whipping away and the boats sinking on middle of mini cyclone.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
I find camping here is quite cheap as most people do it there is more competition in the (numerous) camp shops. Also, you can usually find camp gear in garage and car boot sales. Our tent was a bargain at $75 (6 man Oztrail) from a bloke with a warehouse on the Gold Coast. Spent about $300 in total on camp stove, table and camp beds. We take our duvets and pillows so you don't really need the expense of sleeping bags. We have 2 plastic lidded boxes that always have cutlery, crockery, salt and pepper etc ready so its easy to go when the mood takes you. I just bought the basic own brand utensils, pans etc. Got all the melamine plates from Sam's Warehouse dirt cheap. Picked up some cutlery in the Target sale. Main advice would be to only buy the tent and main equipment at the camp shops. Saw a tiny plastic chopping board there last week for $8 just because it was a proper camping one. I got a pack of 3 at Sam's Warehouse for $4.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

This is my sort of camping

http://www.spicerscanopy.com.au/

I havent been camping since my early 20's where I was lucky enough go with the marlborough man, he had every camping gadget ever invented, so going with him was pretty good. The time my boyfriend and I went without him we didnt even remember a hammer to put the tent up

Camping as a kid rocked, lots of time with daddy
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123

I havent been camping since my early 20's where I was lucky enough go with the marlborough man, he had every camping gadget ever invented, so going with him was pretty good. The time my boyfriend and I went without him we didnt even remember a hammer to put the tent up

That place is seriously expensive. Looks nice though.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by RenShen
That place is seriously expensive. Looks nice though.
Yeah I know, we havent stayed there. But it looks lovely and as camping goes it looks like my cup of tea
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I know, we havent stayed there. But it looks lovely and as camping goes it looks like my cup of tea
Our camps can be a bit boozy and loud. Don't think we would quite fit in there!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RenShen
Our camps can be a bit boozy and loud. Don't think we would quite fit in there!
lol

It does look a bit sedate, not sure what they would think of muddy hiking boots either
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:21 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the eskies (plural) with the tinnies and vino? Where's the outside dunny? Where's the compulsory snag pinching goanna? And more to the point..........where's the ocean?

Not the sort of camping that floats my boat

Loz x
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:26 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my eye on this one: http://www.paperbarkcamp.com.au/ Not too far, either.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've had my eye on this one: http://www.paperbarkcamp.com.au/ Not too far, either.
Well that one is more affordable but still way out of our league I am afraid. Would be nice for an anniversary/honeymoon break though.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hotels are good for weekend/ overnight city breaks with the Missus but holidaying in them is crap once the novelty of having your room and bed sorted and the soap replenished wears off, however expensive. Saved by a good feed.

Every person whose ever camped can tell the tale of the 'Kit Monster' who camps just so that they can acquire the biggest mountain of gucci kit going. I have slight tendencies that way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.