Camping

Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:37 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Camping

Hi all, we are thinking of heading to Oz at the end of Jan 04 and travelling for a few months to ensure that we settle in the right place for us. To do this we are thinking the cheapest way would be to buy camper.

My questions are, if we buy a converted bus (approx 32ft) that has been converted into a camper can we drive it on a car license? Also with regards camping, will we be restricted on where we will be permitted to park / camp?

Any views on this gratefully received......
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Hi all, we are thinking of heading to Oz at the end of Jan 04 and travelling for a few months to ensure that we settle in the right place for us. To do this we are thinking the cheapest way would be to buy camper.

My questions are, if we buy a converted bus (approx 32ft) that has been converted into a camper can we drive it on a car license? Also with regards camping, will we be restricted on where we will be permitted to park / camp?

Do you mean restricted compared to a normal camper van or restricted full stop?

If the former, I'm sure you would be able to use powered and unpowered sites just like a normal camper van, as long as the bay was big enough for the length. On an unpowered site you won't necessarily get marked bays so you won't have a restriction on vehicle size. However, some sites I've been to have fixed size powered bays so a bus may be too long. Saying that tho, would the bus be any longer than a car towing a large caravan? Used to see tons of caravaners at camp sites so the bays must have been reasonably long to accomodate them

The bush camps I've been to aren't manned by a ranger so again, no-one to tell 'no buses'. Also I've seen buses at some of the campgrounds I've been to (as in things like Backpacker-Bus where they transport the backpackers and pitch up tents at night)

I used to see loads of people parked up in the rest areas along the highways - not specific camping areas but areas where there may be bbqs, parking etc - but these were remote highways, not city highways.

Which part of Oz are you camping in?
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:56 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We saw some MASSIVE campers out there. Biggest was a converted coach with a boat on the roof, and a trailer that had a toyota rav4 four wheel drive on it!!!

Don't know about the licence i am afraid, but with regards to parking i would have thought you can stop anywere in rural oz. There are loads of campsites too, where you can hook up to water and power supplies if you need them....
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bus on a car licence - no.
Restricted camping - it depends on where you are going & what you mean by restricted
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:59 am
Bubble blowing member

On our last visit, the place that we fell in love with was Bowen, QLD and it is likely we will end up around this area (any views on Bowen anyone?) but would like to travel Adelaide to Darwin via the coast before we make that final decision.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

We're trying to decide what to take and not, in the UK we go camping in a tent a lot adn have all the stuff to go with it, stove, portaloo, heater etc etc

Can't decide if we should take this? do people camp in Oz or do the bugs cause problems in a tent?

V
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:14 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

On our last visit, the place that we fell in love with was Bowen, QLD and it is likely we will end up around this area (any views on Bowen anyone?) but would like to travel Adelaide to Darwin via the coast before we make that final decision.
Hi ohsohopeful
I purchased a Ford festiva (like a Ford fiesta) and 4 of us (adults) went off for 8 weeks camping. We set off from Sydney and went up as far as Bowen. We just had 2 tents, sleeping bags, clothes and fishing gear. We stopped in the camp sites and tried wherever possible to camp near the beaches. We all had a very cheap and enjoyavle 8 weeks. We used to have the odd night or two in chalets to have a lie in etc as well as a decent shower but would recommend it to anyone. We used to hire the onsite BBQ's and cook our fish and cook what ever we fancied that day. We never spent out to much but it really is a nice way to see OZ. It is also a good way to meet people along the way. We used to sit with complete strangers and share beers and stories. I hope to do it again when I go back as I want to have a long holiday after all the stress I have been under here.
OZ is a great place if you enjoy the idea of camping and it has some wonderful clean campsites.
A word of warning!!! Never put your tent under a tree, I could not sleep with the sounds of Possums weeing all over the tent and dropping food that other campers were feeding them.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by vickymills
We're trying to decide what to take and not, in the UK we go camping in a tent a lot adn have all the stuff to go with it, stove, portaloo, heater etc etc

Can't decide if we should take this? do people camp in Oz or do the bugs cause problems in a tent?

V
We camp all the time in aus.....in a tent. We go "minimalist" style. Small light tent, small petrol stove etc. We never had a problem with any kind of bugs, as long as you use common sense and keep the fly zipped, keep your sleeping bag packed unless you are in it kind of thing. It really is'nt a problem.

Two camping "experiences" One was being kept up all night by amorous male Koalas grunting, which is amazingly loud. The other was waking in the morning in the Grampians, unzipping the inner and finding a western grey roo in the porch having a good old root around Susans dirty washing bag!! Gave it a real shock and it went under the fly at warp speed
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:25 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

As a nipper, when my family spent some time in OZ, we hired a campervan and toured around NSW (Dad even drove it through the centre of Sydney which was a fun experience!).

He was amazed by the variety, shape and size of vehicles about the place and there didn't seem to be any restrictions on camping.

We spent quite a few nights 'under the stars' so to speak, but with two kids on board who lived for bouncing on trampolines, my parents took the official site with a powerpoint, loos, water etc option more often that not.

Very clean and well catered for, the campsites are too. You will have a blast!

I don't know about QLD but Priscilla, Queen of the Desert didn't seem to have any problems just pulling up wherever she liked and with all that space, someone has to find you before they can tell you off!

But get your bus licence - different category.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:19 am
Bubble blowing member

Thankyou all for your responses, looks like we will be camping around Oz for a while..... Just need that yellow envelope now, fingers crossed!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

V
You HAVE to go camping in Oz - it's amazing. We did loads up in NT and north Qld. Had to deal with bats crapping down the side of the tent, dingos and monitors rummaging around (just have to make sure you keep all food in a car, not by the tent), and all sorts of things. Mozzies were really bad up at Mary River but we got through with tropical repellant, etc

I'd definately take the camping gear if I were you.

ps you shouldn't camp under red gums as dead branches can just drop off.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:30 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
ps you shouldn't camp under red gums as dead branches can just drop off.
That REALLY is bizarre is'nt it? One of my father in laws friends had a car smashed by a huge branch that fell of a river red. Luckily...he was'nt in it, but it wrote off the car.

If you go to an area where you get alot of them, you see the branches all over the ground. Really is wierd.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

V
You kidding?? - It was one of the top 10 reasons for us to move here!! - have had some fantastic times camping - especially in Queensland. Bring your gear!!