Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

campervan or hotel?

campervan or hotel?

Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

amitnaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default campervan or hotel?

Im going to Brisbane in November and will be there from the 13th to the 20th.

Please can anyone tell me if i am better off hiring a campervan and if so how much do they cost? can you recommend any companies? Or am i better off staying in a Hotel and hiring a car?

Hoping to go to Gold Coast as well in those seven days and need to be back in Brisbane on 20th to catch the flight to Melbourne.

How far is the Gold Coast/Sunshine bay from Brisbane.

Please excuse my ignorance if im being a bit thick with my questions.

Cheers

A
Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: campervan or hotel?

Hi A

If you hire a campervan you will still have to pay a campsite as you are not allowed to just park anywhere. I mean you could try it, but you might get caught. When I arrived in Oz (4 yrs ago) I hired a campervan to drive from sydney to brisbane, it was brilliant. I'm not sure how much they cost, but just search the yellow pages in brisbane, there are a few companies based near the airport.

depending on what level of hotel and car you go for, you might end up paying the same amount. so it would then be a convinience thing. Depending on where you are in brisbane, and where you need to be in the goldie or sunshine coast, work on about 40 mins to 1 hr for the goldie, and 1.5 - 2 hours for the sunshine coast.

Hope this helps

Amanda
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

I would without doubt stay in a campervan, its brill. The campsites and there are plenty, have excellent facillities and work out about £10-£15 per night for a powered site. If you check out apollo, ezy campers or britz they are all found on google.
The goldcoast isnt far from brisbane attall.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

We Fly out to Sydney 22 November - Staying in Sydney for 1 month (While dog clears Quarantine) and looking to hire Campervan for a month to do the trip up to Byron Bay etc etc etc.......

Look at these Links too :
http://www.campertravel.com.au
http://www.travellers-autobarn.com
http://www.bartrak.com.au
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by amitnaker

Please can anyone tell me if i am better off hiring a campervan and if so how much do they cost? can you recommend any companies? Or am i better off staying in a Hotel and hiring a car?

Hoping to go to Gold Coast as well in those seven days and need to be back in Brisbane on 20th to catch the flight to Melbourne.

Cheers

A
Hi,

We hired a campervan over the internet from Salamander Travel. We managed to get a 6 birth Apollo van for a really good price for 11 days and it was the best part of the holiday. Before and after that we stayed in hotels. I'd definately try this company. On our travels we saw many campervans from a company called Wickedcampervans. They're old style but do look really funky!!

We did loads of kilometers and had such a fabulous time. We stayed in some proper caravan parks with laundry/shower/toilet/swimming pool facilities, but also many camping sites in national parks (you still have to pay, but it's fantastic staying in the parks) where we had bbqs - finding firewood for campfire bbqs or specific bbq areas. The amount of bbq areas we saw whilst travelling alongside the road or lakes was amazing. We'd stop and bbq our breakfast. We would definately recommend it. You get to see so much.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Campervan everytime. We did our 6 week reckie in 1998. campervan booked over the internet. Usual doubts, such as what will this the van be like, do they show the smart ones on the advertising and do we then get the older model? Will the cash be securely transferred, do we have to go on camp sites (wanted to go bush) so on and so forth! Reality..... Picked up from our hotel, brand new van, maps a plenty, no issues with the money easy as.... Can you camp anywhere? Brissie to whitsundays , found lots of freestops, camp sites when we wanted to do laundry and have mains power to cook. Saved money that way.

We enjoyed it so much that when we emigrated in 2000, 4wd and caravan and spent 6 months travelling Oz, combination of bush, national parks and camp sites. The least favorite for us, the sites. All lined up in rows, looking at other campers, shudder.................Alternative, no manicured patch of grass, big sky, sounds of the bush, cold beer, open fire....sigh...................
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:40 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

A
Dude, it's camper vans all the way!!

We reccied Perth last year and booked a van through www.campette.com for 3 weeks - cheap as chips! A bit basic but brand new and comfy/ reliable!

Do it - you know it makes sense!

EDIT: : : Scrub that: It seems Campette have been bought out by www.wickedcampers.com.au !
Note to anyone, avoid Wicked campers like the plague! Serious sheds, trust us we refused to let our dog sleep in one! Only ones we saw were broken down at the side of the road or on campsites with tarpaulines over the rooves to keep the rain out!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Aug 16th 2007 at 6:44 am.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We went with Britz, but found we got a much cheaper price by booking it through www.campertravel.com.au - than we could get direct with Britz.

There was only 2 of us, but we went for a 4 berth van because you get more room - easier to get to the bog at night etc, plus you get four of everything in the kitchen.

It was great fun...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks peeps for all your help....one more question...

Is it far to travel between Brisbane Airport and Gold Coast Airport?

My Flights work out cheaper going into Brisbane and leaving from Gold Coast.

Also if we hire campers can we pick up in brisbane and drop off in Gold Coast? If not whats the best way to get to Gold Cost to catch the cheaper flight. Flight out of Gold Coast is at 14.00 on 20th November...

So if we can drop the camper off on the 19th and stay in a hotel for the night of the 19th to get to the airport on the 20th

What do you think?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

From memory its 1-2 hours max from airport to gold coast. I would def hire the casmpervan from brisbane and just tie it in for when you leasve via goldcoast. If they have a camper office at gold coast you should have no probs or drop off in bris and get coach down. It will be all easy dont worry
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:03 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks peeps for all your help....one more question...

Is it far to travel between Brisbane Airport and Gold Coast Airport?

My Flights work out cheaper going into Brisbane and leaving from Gold Coast.

Also if we hire campers can we pick up in brisbane and drop off in Gold Coast? If not whats the best way to get to Gold Cost to catch the cheaper flight. Flight out of Gold Coast is at 14.00 on 20th November...

So if we can drop the camper off on the 19th and stay in a hotel for the night of the 19th to get to the airport on the 20th

What do you think?
Just drop it off in Bris and get a train or bus down to GC airport - prob an hour or so's journey!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Finally done it...only two more weeks to go...

Till we land in OZ..

We have a campervan hired from the 13th November Until the 19th November our pick up and drop off locations are both Brisbane.

We plan on seeing as much as we can in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast...anyone got any recommendations as to where to go, where to avoid..

also is there anywhere or anyone that can advise me on places to park the camper...and recharge/clean as and when neccessary..anywhere along my routes and how much are the charges at camper-parks?

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. i have posted this on another log in...so as to reach a far and wide audience as possible.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:59 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Just to say thx to everyone for the feedback, on this thread.

We are doing a similar thing, so thx for the advice.