Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Camper van purchase/rental ??

Camper van purchase/rental ??

Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:33 pm
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of
Cool Camper van purchase/rental ??

Whilst anticipating the outcome of our 136 visa application, we're furiously making plans for our new life in Oz. We're planning on travelling the country for 2-3 months, hoping to find somewhere we'd like to call home.

I was concerned about the cost of accommodation and difficulty in really seeing places without transport, when It came to me that I should get a camper van. Accommodation and transport all in one.

I have a couple of issues though............

1. Will I be better to buy (and sell later) or rent ? Some companies look to offer buyback policies.
2. Is there any reasons I've not thought of that make this a stupid idea.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:46 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Camper van purchase/rental ??

Originally Posted by Southgate
Whilst anticipating the outcome of our 136 visa application, we're furiously making plans for our new life in Oz. We're planning on travelling the country for 2-3 months, hoping to find somewhere we'd like to call home.

I was concerned about the cost of accommodation and difficulty in really seeing places without transport, when It came to me that I should get a camper van. Accommodation and transport all in one.

1. Will I be better to buy (and sell later) or rent ? Some companies look to offer buyback policies.

Hiya,
what size ar you thinking of?

How many of there are you? are there any children etc?

bye
Mark
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:52 pm
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of

Only 2 of us, me and the wife. It doesn't have to be big, or even that luxurious.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

OMG. I'm like a moth to a flame when it comes to campervan threads.
Hay Southgate.
A few years ago we set out for Aus for three months.
We thought long and hard about what option would be best.
This is what we did.
We flew into Sydney and looked around for a good VW kombi to buy.
We arrived at this decision after weighing up the other options.
Renting was WAY too expensive and I didn't fancy driving around in a van with HERTZ emblazened down the side of it.
Also we thought about these buy back things but we found them to be a bit of a rip off and heard plenty of stories of the agreement not being honoured.

We wanted an old VW Kombi (bay) because I'd always owned old air cooled VW's and they were easy and cheap to fix and are a legend in Aus.

We bought one called "Cilla" from a backpacker from Northern Beaches who'd come to the end of their trip and it came with all the gear we needed for camping.

We dove all over the place with little planning to our route as owning your camper gives you flexibility

At the end of our trip we sold her at the dreaded Kings Cross Backpackers Car Market. We had no ploblem selling her and we made a thousand dollars on her. Yay.

In my opinion you would be best to buy especially if you don't have to sell to return home which is the bugbear.
At the Kings Cross Car Market there were some really nice Toyota Hi-Lux and Mitsubishi Delicas (4wd camper conversions) for sale and you can get a really good price from backpackers desperate to sell.

I don't think there is anything stupid about your idea speaking from personal experience. For me a campervan is the best way to see Aus and we were perfectly comfortable in ours. I would love to do it again and may well do though we would have to go for something a little larger after making two additions to our number.

Wish you all the best with your adventure.

Scotty.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:25 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

If you're flexible you could try these guys, sometimes you can get one for as little as $1 a day there are conditions but it's a good deal.

http://www.standbycars.com.au/

click on 'hot deals'
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

highboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant futurehighboy has a brilliant future

Only 2 of us, me and the wife. It doesn't have to be big, or even that luxurious.
There a great place in kings cross in sydney, its on the bottom floor of a multi-storey car park and there is always 20-30 backpackers in there trying to sell there vans at the end of there trips, i have bought and sold 2 vans from there for about $2000 aus (best ones are people leaving that day you can haggle super hard). There is a little office on site for registration etc. Can't remember the excact name of it, but pop into any backpackers in kings cross and ask and they will show you the way.

Cheers
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by highboy
There a great place in kings cross in sydney, its on the bottom floor of a multi-storey car park and there is always 20-30 backpackers in there trying to sell there vans at the end of there trips, i have bought and sold 2 vans from there for about $2000 aus (best ones are people leaving that day you can haggle super hard). There is a little office on site for registration etc. Can't remember the excact name of it, but pop into any backpackers in kings cross and ask and they will show you the way.

Cheers
http://www.carmarket.com.au/information.asp
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road

We are going to Brisbane in january 2006 for good and want to travel first,do you know if we buy a camper in kings cross auctions etc and travel up, does the vehicle come with 3rd party insurance or do we need seperate cover?many thanks cooperman includedQUOTE=scottyboy]OMG. I'm like a moth to a flame when it comes to campervan threads.
Hay Southgate.
A few years ago we set out for Aus for three months.
We thought long and hard about what option would be best.
This is what we did.
We flew into Sydney and looked around for a good VW kombi to buy.
We arrived at this decision after weighing up the other options.
Renting was WAY too expensive and I didn't fancy driving around in a van with HERTZ emblazened down the side of it.
Also we thought about these buy back things but we found them to be a bit of a rip off and heard plenty of stories of the agreement not being honoured.

We wanted an old VW Kombi (bay) because I'd always owned old air cooled VW's and they were easy and cheap to fix and are a legend in Aus.

We bought one called "Cilla" from a backpacker from Northern Beaches who'd come to the end of their trip and it came with all the gear we needed for camping.

We dove all over the place with little planning to our route as owning your camper gives you flexibility

At the end of our trip we sold her at the dreaded Kings Cross Backpackers Car Market. We had no ploblem selling her and we made a thousand dollars on her. Yay.

In my opinion you would be best to buy especially if you don't have to sell to return home which is the bugbear.
At the Kings Cross Car Market there were some really nice Toyota Hi-Lux and Mitsubishi Delicas (4wd camper conversions) for sale and you can get a really good price from backpackers desperate to sell.

I don't think there is anything stupid about your idea speaking from personal experience. For me a campervan is the best way to see Aus and we were perfectly comfortable in ours. I would love to do it again and may well do though we would have to go for something a little larger after making two additions to our number.

Wish you all the best with your adventure.

Scotty.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't want a flash van take a look at the link below....

Wicked Camper Vans

KB
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:54 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

We travelled from Perth to Sydney in 'Pearl', our white VW camper - we did have a fantastic time - but there were moments where I got cabin fever in the van - having said that, I wouldn't change any of my experiences.

Also, 'Pearl' died on us, so we were stranded in Melbourne - we had a limited supply of money and couldn't fork out for another van - so I went back to Perth where I knew I could get a job.

There are always going to be pros and cons to hiring and buying your own camper. I considered hiring a van last time we were there on holiday, I think it's a great way to see places.

Good luck in your decision making.

Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cooperman
We are going to Brisbane in january 2006 for good and want to travel first,do you know if we buy a camper in kings cross auctions etc and travel up, does the vehicle come with 3rd party insurance or do we need seperate cover?many thanks cooperman
Hay Cooperman.

If you buy a van from The Cross you can arange your insurance through them quite cheaply and easily. The market is run through the council so it is quite official but like anything to do with cars you take your chance. We bought ours via the Sydney Morning Herald after seeing quite a few sheds and sold her at the market after our trip.
Be warned, the car market is a place of sheer desperation.
It's on the bottom floor of a NCP style carpark that you have to take a p*ssy
smelling lift to. There are lines of cars for sale with their owners willing you to approach them through the flourescent light. Shudder.
If you go to the link on one one of my posts above it will give you quite a bit of info on the place.
Remember it is a buyers market and I saw some really nice vehicles go for peanuts.
Offer low......really low.

Good luck.

Scotty.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scottyboy
Hay Cooperman.

If you buy a van from The Cross you can arange your insurance through them quite cheaply and easily. The market is run through the council so it is quite official but like anything to do with cars you take your chance. We bought ours via the Sydney Morning Herald after seeing quite a few sheds and sold her at the market after our trip.
Be warned, the car market is a place of sheer desperation.
It's on the bottom floor of a NCP style carpark that you have to take a p*ssy
smelling lift to. There are lines of cars for sale with their owners willing you to approach them through the flourescent light. Shudder.
If you go to the link on one one of my posts above it will give you quite a bit of info on the place.
Remember it is a buyers market and I saw some really nice vehicles go for peanuts.
Offer low......really low.

Good luck.

Scotty.

Cheers for your help scotty,by the way are they all cheap and nasty vehicles or do you get any really nice ones that cost more money,if not where would you suggest we look for something as you have experience of this,regards cooperman
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:37 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Hi
Also I know quite a bit about this so just ask if you want any more info. I think that renting a good Hertz van will be expensive, especially over 3 months, and at the end of it you won't have anything to show for it. On the other hand you know you will have a reliable means of transport.

I would go for renting, and spend a little extra on the AA to check out the engine. That way you will know you have a sound engine that will get you around for exploring towns. Many backpackers try to sell on a van that they know is fluffed to make a quick buck.

I would say that the Kings cross car market is a good place to buy. You get lots of people selling (depending on the time of year depends how good a bargain you get). Lots of people go there to sell, book there flight home thinking I'll sell this van no worries, then don't and almost give it away. They want to get something rather than nothing

Another good place to buy is Cairns. Lots of people travel north then fly out of Cairns. However not a lot of people fly into Cairns to buy the vans as there are not that many international flights direct into Cairns. Therefore sellers are more than buyers, hence you will get a good deal if buying.

I tried selling my VW Kombi in Cairns, but as what I would not get what I wanted for it, it was better for me to drive it down to Brisbane and ship it back to the UK (photo on my website).

I am going in Jan to Aus for 2 weeks and have decided to hire a van, as its only 2 weeks we need something reliable and cheaper than buying.

Just use all the normal tricks when buying, etc.

The main benefit is that you don't have to find accommodation and can just stay where you like, if you don't like a place, you can just move on to the next until you find your dream location.

Good luck.

Shaun
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

We're planning to travel for 3 months upon arrival too. We've never been to Australia before, so we're hoping this will help us decide where to settle for good. We're looking to buy a larger vehicle - maybe a fifth wheel which is large lorry sized motor home which you tow behind a ute. We're looking to buy rather than rent as we plan to use it a lot for weekends once we've settled somewhere (we camp every weekend in the UK between May and October anyway). Also, we may live in it for a while as an alternative to renting a property until we find the right house to buy. This is our plan anyway - it may be a crazy one - but gives us something to think about whilst waiting for the visa!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cooperman
Cheers for your help scotty,by the way are they all cheap and nasty vehicles or do you get any really nice ones that cost more money,if not where would you suggest we look for something as you have experience of this,regards cooperman
Hay Cooperman.

Not all of them are cheap and nasty.
As you would imagine from backpackers cars, many of them have traveled huge distances and have been badly maintained on a low budget.
There is a big problem in Sydney with cars just getting abandoned on the street at the end of peoples trips.
However I saw some reall nice ones at the car market.
When we were there we were next to a couple who were selling a chunky Toyota 4WD camper that was in great nick and had been well maintained and serviced with all the gear you'd need. It even ran on duel fuel (LPG) for economy. They ended up overstaying their visa and almost giving the thing away.
We stayed at what was the Gazebo hotel just across the road from the market so we could pop in to check out what was available and also scoured the paper. It is also worth checking out the notice boards at the backpackers hostels as there is always vans and gear for sale.
It is also worth hiring a small car in advance to drive around looking at vans advertised in the paper as it takes ages on the ferries and trains as we found out.
Have a look on some websites before you go like the Sydney Morning Herald and the Autotrader.
autotrader.com.au
This will give you an idea of what's out there.
If you are a member of the AA then you get reciprical cover in Aus. We used them on a couple of occasions. If not then it's worth joining.
When you look at vans try to be objective and think to yourself, can I live in this for three months or so. Try not to be put off by the rubbish you'll see. Yours might be the next one along.
There really are some nice vans for sale. You just have to find them.

Scotty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.