Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Campbelltown NSW

Campbelltown NSW

Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:13 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Campbelltown NSW

Anyone living there or have any info on Campbelltown?

I had a look on realestate.com and the house prices seem very reasonable, hopefully for the right reasons Just trying to look for something at decent cost and within traveling to Sydney (Coogee) where family stay
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:46 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Campbelltown NSW

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

I had a look on realestate.com and the house prices seem very reasonable, hopefully for the right reasons Just trying to look for something at decent cost and within traveling to Sydney (Coogee) where family stay
Not sure if this is the Campbelltown you refer to?? If so, then it is MILES away from Sydney, and why it would be cheap!

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getMa...1?nref=homeMap

(you will need to zoom out quite a lot!!)

Maybe there is another Campbelltown nearer?

From my limited experience of the Sydney housing market, if it is cheap and in Sydney it will be a duff area with problems of one kind or another....

Last edited by stevemich; Jan 25th 2007 at 12:50 am.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I once thought as you do - as the crow flies, it's only a 20 mile drive, but the sluggish rail and buses and the traffic into and out of the city make it a pretty unrealistic commute.

Campbelltown itself is actually quite nice, and not a bad place to live. If your social life and work are in the city though, then I think it would start to become quite a tiresome place to live.

S
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The Cambelltown area is one of the first-home-buyer areas in Sydney. It's big and still growing rapidly.

Some of the suburbs are better than others and some are quite up-market (Mark Latham ex-labour leader lived at Glen Alpine near Cambelltown).

Downside is distance to the city, plus it gets very hot out there. You're closer to the Wollongong beaches than the Sydney ones. Plenty of golf courses that way and you definitely get more house for your money than anywhere closer in.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:47 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I once thought as you do - as the crow flies, it's only a 20 mile drive, but the sluggish rail and buses and the traffic into and out of the city make it a pretty unrealistic commute.

Campbelltown itself is actually quite nice, and not a bad place to live. If your social life and work are in the city though, then I think it would start to become quite a tiresome place to live.

S
Those are good points. The area would seem to be good to raise a family (I know a few people who grew up round there) though once they become teenagers they may not thank you for choosing somewhere that is so difficult to get to from the CBD!

Of course, all this could change if the rail system improved significantly...
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I have friends who live in and around Campbelltown - they are mostly first home owners who can't afford to live closer in but they seem to like it. They are mostly modern housing estates, sometimes called MacMansions here but if you like a quiet life then they are fine.

It would probably take an hour to get into the city by train - my boss lived in Campbelltown and did this every day. Driving to Coogee would take about an hour too.

Beaches - those along the Illawarra e.g. Wollongong might be the closest ones.

Unfortunately there is a degree of snobbery in the rest of Sydney about Campbelltown - they view it as "the sticks". Or you will here comments like "you can practically see the skyline of Melbourne."
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Very good place for shopping - we spent half today getting fans, furniture, lights etc for our build.

There are some *very* rough areas in and around Campbelltown as well as better ones: the agent we used to find our land's owners prior to buying sat outside their house in Campbelltown all day with his car door locked and said he was scared stiff!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:39 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

just spoke to my bro in Sydney to see if he had any feesback on the area, Seems that there are many of us poor Scottish guys setled down there he did kinda mention that it was an area " in the sticks " Anyway i expect that there will be parts that are a bit rough but hey! right now i live in Sunny Easterhouse in Glasgow so i am used to a bit of rough not too far from where i live. needless to say i live in the good part i bet that comment throws a few other comments

Some really cheap rentals here>>>>>>> http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1169760268

Originally Posted by Wol
Very good place for shopping - we spent half today getting fans, furniture, lights etc for our build.

There are some *very* rough areas in and around Campbelltown as well as better ones: the agent we used to find our land's owners prior to buying sat outside their house in Campbelltown all day with his car door locked and said he was scared stiff!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:23 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Campbelltown, or parts of it have got a bit of a bad rep, but I think it will change. It is a major development area and has got a good new shopping area (Macarthur sq) with bowling & cinema. Most of the major stores have branches in the area, apart from Myers for some reason. Good places to eat are a bit thin on the ground, but when you've got your own place you probably eat in most nights.
We live in Harrington Park about 10 mins drive west. Moved here 6 weeks ago after 18 months in "The Shire", and so far so good, but we are still finding our way round. Very countrified and quiet, Camden is a nice little country town. Takes about 50mins to downtown Sydney, I drive the M5 at about 5:30am and it takes me about 35mins to the airport. Easy drive to Southern Highlands (Berry etc) and about 1/2 hour to Thirroul for the nearest beach, why bother when you've got a pool though. Weather is a bit warmer by about a deg or 2 but most of the new houses have a/c. Plenty of new develoments in the area besides H.P, Glen Alpine, Mt Annan, try a search on www.justlisted.com.au under postcode 2567 and area, look to pay $500K - $600 for something nice.